The Complete Tales of Winnie-The-Pooh by A.…

The Complete Tales of Winnie-The-Pooh (original 1958; edition 1996)

by A. A. Milne

Member:maybedog
Title:The Complete Tales of Winnie-The-Pooh
Authors:A. A. Milne
Info:Dutton Juvenile (1996), Edition: 1st Thus., Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***

The World of Winnie-the-Pooh: The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (1958)

English (38)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (41)
I hadn't read this since probably the 3rd grade and I loved it!! Fun, easy read for any age to enjoy. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Another one of those “imbibed with mother's milk” books, like “The Wind in the Willows” and “The Hobbit,” which I am incapable of commenting on with any sort of objectivity. I get a kick out of Pooh's “hums,” and the characters are old friends. My dad's nickname for my mom was “Pooh,” and she introduced him to the Pooh books when they were dating (he was a Jewish boy from Staten Island, and knew all about science and philosophy, but had missed out on most of the children's classics), and lines and characters from the books were part of our family culture. My copy is one I purchased on a long-ago and fondly remembered trip to England with my best childhood friend, so there's that much more sentiment involved. You get the picture – I turn to mush when it comes to Pooh. Anyway, this is my last “read this to my mom while she was dying of dementia/cancer” review, because, well, I don't get to read her any more books. But, we got to finish this one. On Tuesday morning, her last day, I read her chapter IX, which is the one where Eeyore finds Owl a new house, only it happens to be Piglet's house, and Piglet does the Noble thing, and then X, “An Enchanted Place.” That last chapter chokes me up in a “normal” reading – when reading to a child. Christopher Robin is leaving his “nursery days,” and he asks Pooh to always remember him. He, Christopher Robin, doesn't want to leave, but it's time and he has to, but a part of him will always remain in this enchanted place with Pooh. Mom was fading away, but she was still aware and registered the illustrations I showed her (I only bothered her with the best ones). She passed away Tuesday night, and I'll miss her terribly, but I think this was a fine book to end with. ( )
  meandmybooks | Feb 8, 2018 |
This is the real Winnie the Pooh (not Disney versions). Read the real thing. Enjoy the wit and intelligent language. And although we think Winnie is for little children much is lost by not reading it to older children. Even college age children will enjoy these tales!

Large, nice hardcover with illustrations for shorter attention spans. Makes a nice read aloud copy!
  wunderlong88 | Aug 31, 2017 |
Most of the time, I am not a big fan of stream of consciousness writing, but Milne's limited use works well in this book. I love doing the voices with Rebekah. It was also interesting to see how the animated version of Winnie-the-Pooh and the Blustery Day combined/altered several stories in this collection.

The other interesting thing about this book is that Eyeore is not just sad, he is rather self absorbed and a little arrogant, in his own sad, gloomy sort of way. This probably didn't hold Rebekah's attention like some of the more recent books we've read, but overall, it was enjoyable. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Inspired

TO HER

Hand in hand we come
Christopher Robin and I
To lay this book in your lap.
Say you're surprised?
Say you like it?
Say it's just what you wanted?
Because it's yours -
Because we love you.
Introduction:  If you happen to have read another book about Christopher Robin, you may remember that he once had a swan (or the swan had Christopher Robin, I don't know which) and that he used to call this swan Pooh.
This work includes both "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner". Please don't combine with either individual work, or with collections that include "Now We Are Six" and/or "When We Were Very Young."

"The World of Pooh" includes "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner".
"The World of Christopher Robin" includes "When We Were Very Young" and "Now We Are Six".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525457232, Hardcover)

When Christopher Robin asks Pooh what he likes doing best in the world, Pooh says, after much thought, "What I like best in the whole world is Me and Piglet going to see You, and You saying 'What about a little something?' and Me saying, 'Well, I shouldn't mind a little something, should you, Piglet,' and it being a hummy sort of day outside, and birds singing."

Happy readers for over 70 years couldn't agree more. Pooh's status as a "Bear of Very Little Brain" belies his profoundly eternal wisdom in the ways of the world. To many, Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, and the others are as familiar and important as their own family members. A.A. Milne's classics, Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, are brought together in this beautiful edition, complete and unabridged, with recolored illustrations by Milne's creative counterpart, Ernest H. Shepard. Join Pooh and the gang as they meet a Heffalump, help get Pooh unstuck from Rabbit's doorway, (re)build a house for Eeyore, and try to unbounce Tigger. A childhood is simply not complete without full participation in all of Pooh's adventures. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

This deluxe volume brings all of the Pooh stories together in one full-color, large-format book with complete and unabridged text and illustrations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible