Who Killed Christopher Goodman?: Based on a…

Who Killed Christopher Goodman?: Based on a True Crime

by Allan Wolf

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this YA read. I really like that the story was episodic, with each episode told from different points of view. I only gave it 4 stars because the outcome was predictable and I felt the poems/letters at the end were rushed and should been "more" somehow. Additionally I enjoyed the author's note on his real life inspiration and how that incident has impacted his life. The book brings up "butterfly effect" ideas and questions- what if I had... would that have changed his course and outcome???

Overall a well- written and thought provoking YA novel. ( )
  KimKimpton | Apr 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It sounds like the book was therapeutic writing for the author, and I assume that people who remember this tragedy will enjoy reading this book too, but for me, it was something of a mess. It's too bad, since I can see a great story somewhere in the constantly shifting points of view, in the random poems, in the stupid dialogues, in the experimental format, in the sentence fragments. In the author's note Allan Wolfe says he wanted to write a story about teens having to deal with the sudden and violent death of a classmate they could have known better, which is a great idea. But the execution of it clearly failed.

I was excited to read this book, thinking it would be similar to Columbine by David Cullen or The Hate List by Jennifer Brown. I do think this would have been better if the author hadn't gotten wrapped up in the idea of being different, and wrote a mishmash of thoughts from characters that sounded so similar that I lost track of them after awhile. ( )
  lisan. | Apr 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of Who Killed Christopher Goodman from the publisher in exchange for an honest review -- thank you!

This is a compelling concept for a novel: when Christopher Goodman dies, a group of teens, including his killer, recount what happened and reflect on Christopher's place in their lives. The narrators knew him but were not that close to him, which I found to be an interesting decision since many books about loss are not about people on the periphery. A lot of the book rang true from my own teenage years.

Having said that, I think this book was too short. A longer book would have allowed for more development of the characters and better differentiation between them that doesn't just rely on stereotypes or their boiled-down identity of genius, farm girl, stamp collector, etc. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Apr 10, 2017 |
Who Killed Christopher Goodman? by Allan Wolf

Set in 1979 this is the story of (a teenage) boy named Christopher Goodman. A young man who was a bit different, yet very likable, friendly and kind. When Christopher is found murdered the whole school is shaken up, and left to wonder why.

A fast paced story told through alternating voices of those who knew Christopher. Details of the days leading up to this senseless crime. I got to feel what each person was thinking and feeling which drew (me) in more. I highly recommend Who Killed Christopher Goodman? to all.

*I received this book from Library Thing in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Apr 7, 2017 |

Inspired by a tragic true event in his past, Allan Wolf examines the circumstances of one boy’s inexplicable murder and the fateful summer leading up to it.

Everybody likes Chris Goodman. Sure, he’s a little odd. He wears those funny bell-bottoms and he really likes the word ennui and he shakes your hand when he meets you, but he’s also the kind of guy who’s always up for a good time, always happy to lend a hand. Everybody likes Chris Goodman, which makes it especially shocking when he’s murdered. Here, in a stunning multi-voiced narrative — including the perspective of the fifteen-year-old killer — and based on a true and terrible crime that occurred when he was in high school, author Allan Wolf sets out to answer the first question that comes to mind in moments of unthinkable tragedy: how could a thing like this happen?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 09 Jan 2017 16:27:47 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Who Killed Christopher Goodman? by Allan Wolf was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible