Who Killed Christopher Goodman?: Based on a…

Who Killed Christopher Goodman?: Based on a True Crime

by Allan Wolf

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow! Great book. I really enjoyed the interplay of the different voices throughout. A good style choice.

In true "True Crime" fashion, I pretty much knew who dunnit from early on. There are a few teasing references along the way that made me doubt my choice of murderer, though. The novel shows us how complicated individuals are and how we handle the burden of internalised guilt.

Definitely a must-read.
  DJ_Cliffe | May 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Absolutely fantastic! This was a straight read through for me. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. It's written in one of my favourite styles: a narrative from six different voices telling the story from their own point of view, this includes the killer. This book isn't a mystery. We know who gets killed and who did the killing from the start but we know little else. Like the narrators, we piece the story together as they tell it. The book is ultimately about how these teens, each approx. 16-17, deal with the aftermath of someone they knew dying a violent death and each feeling guilty in some sort of way. It's the reality of such a death and how as human beings we can accept the consequences of our actions and reactions as well as receiving certain fruits of the spirit from them. Simply a wonderful book written in a no nonsense and touching manner. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this YA read. I really like that the story was episodic, with each episode told from different points of view. I only gave it 4 stars because the outcome was predictable and I felt the poems/letters at the end were rushed and should been "more" somehow. Additionally I enjoyed the author's note on his real life inspiration and how that incident has impacted his life. The book brings up "butterfly effect" ideas and questions- what if I had... would that have changed his course and outcome???

Overall a well- written and thought provoking YA novel. ( )
  KimKimpton | Apr 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It sounds like the book was therapeutic writing for the author, and I assume that people who remember this tragedy will enjoy reading this book too, but for me, it was something of a mess. It's too bad, since I can see a great story somewhere in the constantly shifting points of view, in the random poems, in the stupid dialogues, in the experimental format, in the sentence fragments. In the author's note Allan Wolfe says he wanted to write a story about teens having to deal with the sudden and violent death of a classmate they could have known better, which is a great idea. But the execution of it clearly failed.

I was excited to read this book, thinking it would be similar to Columbine by David Cullen or The Hate List by Jennifer Brown. I do think this would have been better if the author hadn't gotten wrapped up in the idea of being different, and wrote a mishmash of thoughts from characters that sounded so similar that I lost track of them after awhile. ( )
  lisan. | Apr 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of Who Killed Christopher Goodman from the publisher in exchange for an honest review -- thank you!

This is a compelling concept for a novel: when Christopher Goodman dies, a group of teens, including his killer, recount what happened and reflect on Christopher's place in their lives. The narrators knew him but were not that close to him, which I found to be an interesting decision since many books about loss are not about people on the periphery. A lot of the book rang true from my own teenage years.

Having said that, I think this book was too short. A longer book would have allowed for more development of the characters and better differentiation between them that doesn't just rely on stereotypes or their boiled-down identity of genius, farm girl, stamp collector, etc. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Apr 10, 2017 |

Inspired by a tragic true event in his past, Allan Wolf examines the circumstances of one boy’s inexplicable murder and the fateful summer leading up to it.

Everybody likes Chris Goodman. Sure, he’s a little odd. He wears those funny bell-bottoms and he really likes the word ennui and he shakes your hand when he meets you, but he’s also the kind of guy who’s always up for a good time, always happy to lend a hand. Everybody likes Chris Goodman, which makes it especially shocking when he’s murdered. Here, in a stunning multi-voiced narrative — including the perspective of the fifteen-year-old killer — and based on a true and terrible crime that occurred when he was in high school, author Allan Wolf sets out to answer the first question that comes to mind in moments of unthinkable tragedy: how could a thing like this happen?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 09 Jan 2017 16:27:47 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Allan Wolf's book Who Killed Christopher Goodman? is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible