Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin

The Stone Sky

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Broken Earth (3)

What an amazing end to the best fantasy series I've read... ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
This is the final volume of the trilogy, which is one of the prominent works in fantasy in particular and speculative fiction in general, published in the last decade. In its structure it follows the structure of the previous volumes, namely having chapters from different points of view, following three characters. This time they include Hoa, the stone eater, which uncovers the ‘origin story’ for this world and ties many loose ends, even up to minute points like the true reason for sef, used as a poison tester.
The story is still full of hardships, angst and pain, which to some extent makes the final chapters, when traditionally the emotions ought to reach their peak (and maybe make readers cry a little), a bit anticlimactic. Nevertheless, the great conclusion for the great series. I am enormously happy to see new diverse voices appearing in the speculative fiction.

But there are none so frightened, or so strange in their fear, as conquerors. They conjure phantoms endlessly, terrified that their victims will someday do back what was done to them—even if, in truth, their victims couldn’t care less about such pettiness and have moved on. Conquerors live in dread of the day when they are shown to be, not superior, but simply lucky. ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
Excellent conclusion to an excellent series. A bit less engaging to me than the others, possibly because the worldbuilding and characters are stable and established and all that's left is the denouement, but this book still delivers in entertainment and thought-provoking value. And perhaps I'm writing this review too many months after finishing the book, but what of Essun simultaneously being pregnant and becoming a stone eater? Seems like some interesting territory there that I don't think was played with like it could have been.

Definitely a recommended series. ( )
  pammab | Jan 5, 2019 |
The earlier two books set up a mystery: what set off the lasting disaster that all our characters are struggling to survive through? This volume fills in the history quite nicely. We also watch as our heroines bring the major forces into a new configuration.

Behind the original disaster is a conundrum not too different from what we face today. We're facing a variety of environmental challenges. Maybe we can come up with some large scale advanced technology to work around the problems. Fusion energy would be an example. Such technology could enable us to continue growing the population, our rate of consumption, etc. But if we keep growing, won't we just hit an even bigger problem in another hundred years?

Volume 1 of the trilogy had some lively action in diverse scenes. Volume 2 was more focused, This book was probably even wilder than volume 1. A good story, rich characters. ( )
  kukulaj | Jan 4, 2019 |
I so don't want this series to end. MOAR! ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, WendyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paul, TimMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who've survived: Breathe. That's it. Once more. Good. You're good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory.
Time grows short, my love.

""Intricate and extraordinary." - New York Times on The Fifth Season THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS... FOR THE LAST TIME. The Moon will soon return. Whether this heralds the destruction of humankind or something worse will depend on two women. Essun has inherited the power of Alabaster Tenring. With it, she hopes to find her daughter Nassun and forge a world in which every orogene child can grow up safe. For Nassun, her mother's mastery of the Obelisk Gate comes too late. She has seen the evil of the world, and accepted what her mother will not admit: that sometimes what is corrupt cannot be cleansed, only destroyed. The remarkable conclusion to the post-apocalyptic and highly acclaimed trilogy that began with the multi-award-nominated The Fifth Season. The Broken EarthThe Fifth SeasonThe Obelisk GateThe Stone Sky For more from N. K. Jemisin, check out: The Inheritance TrilogyThe Hundred Thousand KingdomsThe Broken KingdomsThe Kingdom of Gods The Inheritance Trilogy (omnibus edition)Shades in Shadow: An Inheritance Triptych (e-only short fiction)The Awakened Kingdom (e-only novella) Dreamblood DuologyThe Killing MoonThe Shadowed Sun The Dreamblood Duology (omnibus)"--"THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS... FOR THE LAST TIME. The Moon will soon return. Whether this heralds the destruction of humankind or something worse will depend on two women. Essun has inherited the power of Alabaster Tenring. With it, she hopes to find her daughter Nassun and forge a world in which every orogene child can grow up safe. For Nassun, her mother's mastery of the Obelisk Gate comes too late. She has seen the evil of the world, and accepted what her mother will not admit: that sometimes what is corrupt cannot be cleansed, only destroyed. The remarkable conclusion to the post-apocalyptic and highly acclaimed trilogy that began with the multi-award-nominated The Fifth Season"--… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,478,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible