Self-Serve Murder (Death by Cupcake Book 3)…

Self-Serve Murder (Death by Cupcake Book 3)

by D. E. Haggerty

322,001,085 (5)None
Recently added byperusal, JoAB, JerseyGirlBookReview

No tags.

This book grabbed me from the beginning! Kristie woke up with no memory of the night before. She didn't have a clue why she was naked and had a dead man in her bed. Of course, I wanted answers so I kept reading. Kristie works at Callie's Cakes part-time and goes to college. There had been several rapes on campus so Kristie went to a bar frequented by students to investigate. That didn't work for her. She got roofied and the next thing she knew she was home in bed - not alone (remember the dead guy). That explained the memory loss but not the dead man.

I loved this story with Kristie and her colleagues from Callie's Cakes, Callie and Anna, trying to find the murderer. How can investigating a murder be funny? With these three "working the case" that's how. Kristie calling her friends the troublesome twosome gives you an idea of how bad they are. These women are so much fun, each having quirks, but likable. In this book we got to know more about Kristie who is sweet and kind. It's obvious she would never murder anyone so how did the man get in her bed - dead?

This is a great book - great series! - so when I was offered a complementary copy, I jumped at the chance to read it. Please note that I am reviewing this book on my own as I do with everything I read and not because I was asked to. ( )
  JoAB | Dec 12, 2016 |
In Self-Serve Murder, the third book in the Death By Cupcake Series, author D.E. Haggerty continues to weave a delightful cozy mystery series that follows the amateur investigative adventures of Kristie, Callie's Cakes twenty-three year old barista and social work grad student.

Kristie is a social work grad student who works part time at the local youth center and part time as a barista at her friend Callie's bakery, Callie's Cakes. Kristie wakes up naked and next to a dead guy in bed, and she has no recollection of what happened the night before. Kristie has been conducting a secret investigation the past few months into a string of college rape incidents where all the female victims have the same MO, they were all drugged (roofies) and woke up in their dorm rooms not remembering what happened, but having been sexually violated. As the latest victim (but not violated), Kristie is determined to find the rapist/murderer, so with the help of Callie, Ben (Callie's detective boyfriend), Anna, and Logan (Anna's detective boyfriend), they embark on a murder investigation adventure that is sure to stir up the pot on the college campus.

Self-Serve Murder is a thoroughly entertaining cozy mystery that will keep the reader in stitches. Written in the first person narrative, the reader follows the humorous trials and tribulations of Kristie, Callie, and Anna on their latest amateur investigative adventures.

This was such a fun book to read! The reader can't help but get drawn into the quirky trials and tribulations and intriguing suspense that Kristie and friends encounter during the college rape and murder investigation. I really enjoyed Kristie's sassy humor and wit, you can't help but feel compassion for her determination to bring the rapist to justice, and when you add in the hilarious antics that follows these three cheeky chicks and their detective boyfriends Logan and Ben, you get a delightful cozy mystery that will leave you wanting more!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I really loved how the author used clever coffee facts and quotes at the beginning of each chapter.

Cozy mystery fans, I would highly recommend that you read the entertaining Death By Cupcake Series, you won't regret it!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book blast and tour events hosted by Great Escapes Virtual Book Tours and Reading Addiction Virtual Book Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2016/12/self-serve-murder-by-de-hagger... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Dec 11, 2016 |

D. E. Haggerty is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,736,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible