The Time Traveller's Resort and Museum by…

The Time Traveller's Resort and Museum

by David McLain

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was an entertaining book. With a pet triceratops anything can happen. It was definitely an interesting twist on time travel. I read this book through the Early Reviewers program. ( )
  jenniferlbean | May 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers in return for an honest review.

Astrophysicist, Alice Anderson, has been accused of murdering her ex-boyfriend Malcom. With the help of the strange Keith Quick Alice is forced to travel around through time to clear her name. Alice also discovers that she is the mother of time and the inventor of time travel. But who is the angry Eleanor Dragon? And why is she following Alice? What does she have to do with Malcolm's murder? What does King Arthur, Sherlock Holmes, and Professor Moriarty have to do with the story? And how did she invent time travel?

Overall I really enjoyed this book. It sucked me in within the first few pages. It includes a variety of sub-plot that do not appear to have anything to do with the main storyline. However all the subplots tie into the story in the end in the way that makes sense and adds to the story. The only thing I was not a fan of was the epilogue. Without spoiling anything it ends in a huge cliff-hanger. Personally I prefer story that end in a smaller cliff-hanger. That being said I still really enjoyed the story and would recommend it to all readers. ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Apr 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Alice arrives in London to deliver a talk at the Royal Academy about the science podcast she co-hosts with totally-not-her-boyfriend Malcolm. But the night before the talk, Malcolm is mysteriously killed and Alice is framed for his murder. She manages to escape police enquiry with the help of a strangely dressed man she's pretty sure she's seeing for the first time but who seems strangely familiar with her. Have they met? And why does barmen who all look the same keep bringing her drinks she didn't order?

I found this nonsensical tale of time travel, the difficulty to maintain a stable relationship with a husband you haven't met yet and pet triceratops to be quite entertaining. The writing is a bit clumsy sometimes and the story could benefit from a few shortcuts, but it's a fun read nevertheless.

I read and enjoyed this book through the Early Reviewers program. ( )
  timtom | Mar 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I mostly enjoyed The Time Traveller's Resort and Museum, a story about the invention of time travel. This book is part murder mystery, part sci-fi, and also weaves stories from mythology and literature into the plot, with King Arthur and Sherlock Holmes making appearances as figures from a sort of alternative history or parallel timelines. The theory that there's a 6th dimension(imagination) to explain encountering fictional characters felt clumsy, but I did enjoy the way the tales were woven together throughout the book. Because of the time travel aspect of the story, although the ending isn't completely set in stone from the beginning, you have a pretty good idea how things will turn out. The plot felt like it started to drag a bit in the middle and eventually I ended up just waiting for the story to roll back to it's conclusion. Overall, however, the story was an entertaining adventure with well developed characters, especially Spring, Eleanor Dragon, and Grendel the dinosaur. ( )
  DawnSweeeney | Feb 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book, it had a bit of a steampunk feel. the author has the ability to describe a scene with a great turn of phrase that I actually ended up reading aloud to my wife. I enjoyed the characters and did not see the end coming. I look forward to reading more from the author.
  roadkyl | Feb 2, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

David McLain's book The Time Traveller's Resort and Museum is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible