For the Record by Regina Jennings

I loved, loved, loved this book. Did I say how much I enjoyed this? Regina Jennings is one of my favorite authors. I count the days until her next book comes out, she can't write them fast enough for me. I get so wrapped up in her characters, I feel like I know them. Betsy and and her brother Josiah Huckabee, introduced in the first of the series, were two of my favorite characters Regina has created. I know this sounds a little over the top, but I don't feel this way about most of the authors I read, and I read a lot. Her stories are always exciting, funny and sometimes sad. Once you start her book, it is hard to put it down. This novel will work as a stand alone story, but if you haven't read the other two Ozark books, do yourself a favor and go back and read them first. You won't regret it. ( )
  Sandralb | Apr 9, 2017 |
Great story of unexpected love and more than a story at play.

"Only a limited patch of Earth could claim the privilege of belonging to Texas." (7)

I love the opening of For The Record by Regina Jennings. Such a visual opening that draws you straight into the setting, the character, Deputy Joel Puckett's mind and the beautiful writing of the author. Ahh. This may very well be my favorite of Regina Jennings' books. Why? I think the beautiful cover have a little to do with it. Why do I feel a personal connection with Betsy from that cover? I just do. From her look of curiosity, to her rather "bookish" demeanor, it just captured me. How about you?

The characters each brings a little something to For the Record. The romance is sweet, but infuriating at times. Truly, both Betsy and Joel are not typical inspiring heroine or the dashing hero one would expect. Betsy is obnoxious at times, and somewhat nettlesome, and Joel is stubborn and a stickler of all things! Yet, Betsy's also a dreamer and Joel is broodingly handsome which makes them stand out in your mind, and make you root for them. Their start may not be the most romantic or easy to love, but you wait.

With a little humor (Betsy's creative story), great historical backdrop (especially with the Bald Knobbers keeping the new Deputy busy and Betsy intrigued), a little suspense and a message of acceptance and love, For the Record will keep you interested and looking forward to the author's next book. Did I also mention that you'll find a connection in the author's previous stories through the characters? If you've read Regina Jennings' other stories, you won't want to miss this one.

This review first appeared on Just Commonly blog.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion. ( )
  justcommonly | Feb 1, 2017 |
This is a wonderful historical western romance. This had a little suspense mixed in. I love that. Betsy and Joel really get on each other's nerves at first and then get to know each other. This made me laugh and cry at different times. There was a nice storyline with you learning what the true meaning of a hero really is. I received a copy of this book from the author and gave a review of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jan 25, 2017 |
Great entertainment! When I was reading it I didn’t realize this was part of a series. It did great as a stand alone. Betsy is a strong, independent woman with talent who is struggling. She has great love for her family, but is an old maid by many standards and still lives with them. Her hope is to earn enough money to support herself.

Joel is the new Deputy in town, trying to fit in and earn respect. He’s a strong advocate of the law, and has a tough time with the locals who are trying to punish wrong-doers on their own. He’s got a past that he’d just as soon not have revealed to everyone, but Betsy’s good intentions can get him into trouble.

Very well written and engaging. You’ll enjoy getting into the heads of these characters. Great Christian message throughout. Love that cover!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the Bethany House Publishers - Netgalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”. http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html. ( )
  Robin.Willson | Jan 22, 2017 |
I love stories set in the past especially when they show a woman achieving her dreams that are not the norm of the day. Betsy loves writing for her uncle's newspaper and expands her dreams by writing a serial for the ladies' pages. I like how this book gives me a taste of history while peaking my interest with a good mystery. I liked seeing how Betsy and Joel, the new lawman in town, interacted. He really had his hands full with her as she does not at like most women of the day.
This is a great read and a great continuation of the Ozark Mountain Romance Series. It was great catching up with some of the characters from previous books ,but it can stand alone.
I received a review copy from the publisher, but the review is my own. ( )
  polarmath | Dec 11, 2016 |

Jennings Offers Another Delightful Blend of History and Romance

Betsy Huckabee might be a small-town girl, but she has big-city dreams. Writing for her uncle's newspaper will never lead to independence, and the bigger newspapers don't seem interested in the Hart County news. Trying a new approach, Betsy pens a romanticized serial for the ladies' pages, and the new deputy provides the perfect inspiration for her submissions. She'd be horrified if he read her breathless descriptions of him, but these articles are for a newspaper far away. No one in Pine Gap will ever know.

Deputy Joel Puckett didn't want to leave Texas, but this job in tiny Pine Gap is his only shot at keeping his badge. With masked marauders riding every night, his skills and patience are tested, but even more challenging is the sassy journalist lady chasing him.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 11 Dec 2016 22:47:09 -0500)

"Betsy Huckabee has big-city dreams, but nobody outside of tiny Pine Gap, Missouri, seems interested in the articles she writes for her uncle's newspaper. Her hopes for independence may be crushed, until the best idea she's ever had comes riding into town. Deputy Joel Puckett didn't want to leave Texas, but unfair circumstances have made moving to Pine Gap his only shot at keeping a badge. Worse, this small town has big problems, and masked marauders have become too comfortable taking justice into their own hands. He needs to make clear that he's the law in this town--and that job is made more difficult with a nosy reporter who seems to follow him everywhere he goes. The hero Betsy creates to be the star in a serial for the ladies' pages is based on the dashing deputy, but he's definitely fictional. And since the pieces run only in newspapers far away, no one will ever know. But the more time she spends with Deputy Puckett, the more she appreciates the real hero--and the more she realizes what her ambition could cost him" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,676,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible