Malala: Activist for Girls' Education…

Malala: Activist for Girls' Education

by Raphaёle Frier

Other authors: Aurélia Fronty (Illustrator)

This is an amazing book about Malala that outlines her life and effect she has had on womens education. It follows a timeline of her story and how she became such an influencer. I love this book because it emphasizes the role that her parents as well as her own education played in getting her where she is today. The book is perfect for students both young and old and can serve as a great factual reference. The art in this book is another big draw for me because it is beautiful and depicts her story in an amazing way. ( )
  Kyliehentschke | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is this exquisitely illustrated book about Malala Yousafzai, the girl who stood up the the Taliban and became the youngest person to receive a Nobel Peace Prize. This version of her story however is told at a level any reader can understand. The beginning starts out with describing Malala's parents, highlighting the love the gave her and explaining the challenges of raising a girl in Pakistan. Each page brings the reader (or listener) closer to Malala's culture, expressing the extreme misfortunes they faced. Schools were being bombed and set to fire once the Taliban were in charge and eventually in 2009 girls lost their right to an education. Malala's strong sense of leadership and her dedication to education shines through as she fights to receive an education. Because of the support of Malala's parents, she was an experienced speaker and author. The entire book leads to the dreadful experience we are all too familiar with, Oct. 9, 2012 when Malala is shot three times for her stance on education. Miraculously, Malala survives. She continues to speak about against violence and for the education of girls worldwide. July 12 is known as Malala Day to celebrate every child's right to an education.

Following the content of the book there is a timeline of Malala's life, along with a photo of Malala and an easy to read map of Pakistan. There is a brief description of Pakistan. I was surprised to read that Pakistan is the sixth most populous country in the world, and also further motivated to share Malala's story with this book. The end of the book gives compressed descriptions of the Pashrun people, girls education worldwide, religion, Malala's inspirations, and quotes from Malala herself. There are photographs, with descriptions, showing Malala throughough the varying phases of growing into the activist she has become today. The final page gives the reader more information, listing two books and four websites for further reading. Malala's story cannot be told enough. Too many girls worldwide are suffering without education, and together we are suffering because of this. I would suggest this book for any age level. ( )
  Julesjack19 | Mar 6, 2018 |
This book is very informative of all that Malala has accomplished in her life so far. Malala is a girl from Pakistan. Her father had a school to educate girls in the city. Her father wanted her to receive the schooling that any male from the country would receive. Malala is a very educated girl, and knows how to speak what she feels. This book includes her views, and her story. I did not know much about her work, but after reading this book I want to know more. This book also includes information on her life as a child, her family, and her achievements. At the end of the story there is a timeline as well as more information about her accomplishments from different articles. I enjoyed reading this book, and I would like to learn more about her point of view on children's rights for education. I think it is wonderful that she continues her beliefs even though the Taliban does not agree with them. ( )
  SLAdams | Jan 31, 2018 |
Age Appropriateness (Primary, Intermediate, Middle School): Primary (3-5)
Review/Critique: This book is about Malala who is a young girl that was shot in the head for stand up for her beliefs. The book is quite long but uses student friendly language to tell her story. This book would be considered biography because it is not written in first person. Another cool feature of this book is that is has both illustrations and photographs.
Comments on Use: I really loved this book would love to have it in my classroom. I do not think I would use it for a read aloud unless I was focusing on important women or on Pakistan. ( )
  khadijab | Nov 2, 2017 |
Biography about Malala Yousafzai's life. Malala is a woman's activist from Pakistan. She is the youngest person to win a nobel peace prize.
  Lauralee96 | Oct 29, 2017 |

Raphaёle Frierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fronty, AuréliaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cormier, JulieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Describes how a young Pakistani activist was violently targeted by the Taliban for her efforts to secure educational rights for girls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,485,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible