The Templars' Last Secret by Martin Walker

The Templars' Last Secret

by Martin Walker

The cover image and the tag line, "A Mystery of the French Countryside," do not match the contents: thriller-type mayhem, terrorism, violence, and not a mystery at all. Just guns and testosterone. Ugh. ( )
  SusanKrzywicki | Jul 7, 2018 |
Bruno is preparing for a wedding (not his own), when a dead woman is found at the remains of a castle. He also has a sidekick in this story, a determined young woman who is to shadow him for two weeks analyzing how the small town policeman works. As always, things go south and get complicated, but manage to resolve one way or another with good food and fellowship.

My enjoyment of this location and the people there has not lessened, but as I think I have said for the last three books or so, I'm tired of Bruno being stuck in his personal life. His obsession with Isabelle is boring. That being said, the rest of the story was interesting, to do with terrorism, medieval history and ancient history. ( )
  MrsLee | Feb 21, 2018 |
All the Bruno touchstones make for a satisfactory read.

The Bruno Chief of Police series is tops among my list of cozy mysteries. No other series combines the love of good food and wine, the love of animals and decency & caring between human beings as well as Martin Walker's tales of the lone policeman of St. Denis in the heart of la belle France.

The villains in this one seemed to not be of quite the highest calibre but saying much more would be a spoiler. To offset that though we have a new ally for Bruno who is a likely up and comer in the political world. And the lost-love-of-his-life Isabelle makes a welcome return. How long is Walker going to tease us with the Isabelle-Bruno rekindled-relationship-in-waiting? The conclusion here leaves us wanting more again. C'est l'amour!

Mild spoiler
This may give away an important plot point, but I stumbled on this while doing some googling research and I thought other readers might find it informative. This is evidence of Martin Walker's own research for this current book.
At this discussion board, Martin Walker asks Daniel Pipes, one of his reference authorities for Middle Eastern history about the fictional MacGuffin in The Templars' Last Secret, see http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/230029 ( )
  alanteder | Oct 11, 2017 |
Benoît Courrèges, known as Bruno the Chief of Police in St. Denis in the Perigord region of France, is called to the scene of a suspicious death just outside town. Turns out the dead woman is an archaeologist who may have been looking for a document dating back centuries. Her death sets Bruno on a hunt that involves Islamic terrorists and threats of mass mayhem.

In the midst of this, Bruno is shadowed by a young woman, Amelie, assigned by the minister of justice to look into the methods Bruno uses to be such a successful law enforcement officer. As it turns out, Amelie has a lot to teach Bruno, too, and their partnership accelerates the pace of this fast-moving investigation. With all that’s going on, Bruno still has time to be Bruno – and what a hero he is!

I love this series and The Templars’ Last Secret is the best yet. Some books’ story lines seem, to me, to head into the Twilight Zone but in this book, the story seems more real. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 17, 2017 |
In reviewing the last book in this delightful series, Fatal Pursuit, I admitted that I was tiring of the formula the series had fallen into, and I hoped that the next book would shake things up a bit. It does, and I couldn't be happier.

The Templars' Last Secret teases us with castle ruins, caves, Templar treasure, and prehistoric art, but what it's really about is policing in France, especially since the terrorist attacks. We are shown how the French government reacts to certain situations and how countries are now working together against a deadly common foe. One of the ways that policing has changed is by the use of technology and social media to solve crime, and the character of Amélie is just the sort of person to show a reluctant Bruno how vital it can be.

Amélie adds quite a bit to the story, not only with her technical expertise but by her very nature. It was fun to watch her interact with the people of St. Denis and to see their reactions to her. I'm hoping that this will not be her last appearance in this series.

Yes, Martin Walker has rejuvenated his series that I love so much, and I'm looking forward to the next book with great anticipation. ( )
  cathyskye | Jul 17, 2017 |

"Bruno, the beloved chief of police of the idyllic French town of St. Denis in the Dordogne, is back! This time a mysterious death brings ancient secrets to light, and it's up to our hero--and favorite gourmand--to connect the tangled threads of past and present When a woman's body is found at the foot of a cliff near St. Denis, Bruno suspects a connection to the great ruined Ch?ateau de Commarque, a long-ago Knights Templar stronghold that stands on the cliff above, and which, along with the labyrinth of prehistoric caves beneath it, continues to draw the interest of scholars. With the help of Amelie, a young Haitian newcomer to the Dordogne, Bruno learns that the dead woman was an archaeologist searching for a religious artifact of incredible importance, the discovery of which could have dramatic repercussions throughout the Middle East--not to mention in St. Denis. And the woman's ties to Islamic terrorists can only heighten the pressure on Bruno to unravel the centuries-old mystery. Meanwhile, an old flame of Bruno's is assigned to work with him on the case, and the two find time, naturellement, to enjoy the supreme pleasures of the wine, food, and beauty of the Dordogne"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,987,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible