Star Trek: The Romulan Way by Diane Duane

Star Trek: The Romulan Way (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Diane Duane (Author), Peter Morwood (Author)

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Star Trek: The Romulan Way
Authors:Diane Duane (Author)
Other authors:Peter Morwood (Author)
Info:New York : Pocket Books, 1987.
Collections:Your library, DD
Tags:type: mass market paperback, star trek, genre: science fiction, read 2014

The Romulan Way by Diane Duane (1987)

The Romulan Way is widely considered one of the best classic Trek novels for good reason. Written before Star Trek: The Next Generation began to form a more solid canon interpretation of the Romulans, the novel gives an insight into the culture and history of a race millennia old, similar to Duane's treatment of the Vulcans in Spock's World. The Romulans are rendered in careful detail as a powerful, passionate, honorable, and highly independent people who are at the same time highly distrustful of outsiders and deeply isolationist. In order to prevent a civil war on Vulcan between the followers of Surak, who prized logic and restraint, and the followers of the Romulan founder S'task, who valued passion and power, the Romulans left to find a new home, and invented their own language and religion along the way.

Interwoven with this account of Romulan history is a framing story involving Dr. McCoy's capture and imprisonment for war crimes by the Romulans -- an incident planned by Starfleet in order to send McCoy to investigate a deep-cover Federation spy on ch'Rihan (Romulus) whom they fear has "gone native." We see the current state of the Star Empire -- in a politically fractious place after the events of the preceding novel, My Enemy, My Ally, in which a high-ranking Romulan officer betrays her own people to prevent government-sponsored atrocities -- through the eyes of both McCoy and the spy, Arrhae, who is masquerading as a servant in a Romulan noble house. Arrhae -- born Terise Haleakala-LoBrutto -- still recalls her loyalty to the Federation, but has grown to love the Romulan people and worlds as well, and the tension between these serves to drive much of her story.

As usual, Diane Duane is a master of her craft; she writes both humans and aliens with believability and fluidity, in a distinctive, lyrical language. The characters always feel like real people, rather than cardboard cutouts. Her cowriter (and husband) Peter Morwood is as skilled an author; to this day I can't tell who wrote what, which I suppose must be a good thing.
Most of all, both of these authors love Star Trek, and it shows. ( )
  starlitwaters | May 23, 2014 |
YES, I READ A STAR TREK NOVEL. AND I LIKED IT. ( )
  paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
I liked this better than Spock's World. The story is Terise is more compelling. The strength of both books is the world-building chapters about the history of the Romulan and Vulcan societies, respectively. One of the chapter's is nearly identical to one in Spock's World. ( )
  scholz | Apr 4, 2011 |
McCoy is captured and brought behind Romulan lines in this decent Star Trek novel, where a sleeper Federation agent must make the decision whether to risk her cover and help McCoy escape. An interesting look at McCoy and the Romulans from a rare perspective. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 10, 2007 |

Diane Duaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morwood, PeterAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For the collaborator...
...isn't it great?
Foreword:

Among many issues we are still unsure of, one fact makes itself superevident: they were never "Romulans."
Arrhae ir-Mnaeha t'Khellian yawned, losing her sleep's last dream in the tawny light that lay warm across her face, bright on her eyelids.
The words "I have lost my best student to madness" are the beginning of the breaking of the Vulcan species.

"I CAN TELL YOU WHO I AM, SIR," THE MAN SAID ANGRILY

Arrhae broke out all over in cold sweat at the sound of him. She was not wearing a translator, and he spoke Federation Standard, and she understood him. Nit that this should have been strange, of course. Arrhae's composure began to shatter, and she kept walking, steadily, to be well out of sight before it should do so completely.

"I'm Doctor Learned E McCoy," he said. and O Elements, it was a native Terran accent, from somewhere in the south of EnnAy, probably Florida or Georgia. Arrhae made herself keep walking, without reaction, without any slightest reaction to the language she had not heard from another being in over eight years, and had stopped hearing even in her dreams.

"I'm a Commander in the United Federation lf Planets' Starfleet - and what your people have done is a damned act of war!"

They are a race of warriors, a noble people to whom honor is all. They are cousin to the Vulcan, ally to the Klingon, and Starfleet's most feared and cunning adversary. They are the Romulans -- and for eight years, Federation Agent Terise LoBrutto has hidden in their midst.

Now the presence of a captured Starfleet officer forces her to make a fateful choice -- between exposure and escape. Between maintaining her cover -- and saving the life of Dr. Leonard McCoy.

Here, in a startlingly different adventure, is the truth behind one of the most fascinating alien races ever created in STAR TREK -- the Romulans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:37 -0400)

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible