Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Luminous by Greg Egan

Luminous (1995)

by Greg Egan

English (5)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
Egan is one of those authors whose fiction I’m repeatedly told I’d like, but everything by him I’ve read in the past has left me a little bit cold – which is one novel, and a handful of stories in Interzone over the years. Nevertheless, if I see one of his books going cheap in a charity shop, I buy it. And even now, when perhaps my taste in fiction is somewhat more discriminating and I look for different things in the fiction I read than I did twenty or thirty years ago… Egan’s fiction still leaves me mostly cold. There were a couple of good stories in this collection – I especially liked ‘Silver Fire’, about a epidemic in the US; and ‘Our Lady of Chernobyl’ had some narrative impetus to it, even if the central conceit was weak – but many still felt cold to me, peopled by little more than walking, talking ideas. And ‘The Planck Dive’ is just a really dull physics lectures with a bunch of character interactions to provide something for the reader to connect with. Interestingly, although most of the stories in Luminous were written in the mid-1990s, they’re chiefly set in this decade, the second of the twenty-first century. Egan got one or two things right, but he also got a lot wrong – and yet he still manages to catch the flavour of now better than many other sf authors of the time who wrote stories set in the early twenty-first century. I’ll still keep my eye open for Egan books in charity shops, but I doubt I’ll ever be able to call myself a fan. ( )
  iansales | Jul 15, 2015 |
I wasn't terribly crazy about this collection of short stories, but Egan's writing style is reassuring and a reliable form of escapism.
  bianca.sayan | Jul 4, 2013 |
I didn't pay this the attention it deserves (a danger of vacation reading), and the science flew over my head quite often, but it was enjoyable enough. ( )
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
+ is hit, - is miss:

- Chaff (1993)
+ Mitochondrial Eve (1995)
+ Luminous (1995)
+ Mister Volition (1995)
+ Cocoon (1994)
+ Transition Dreams (1993)
+ Silver Fire (1995)
+ Reasons to Be Cheerful (1997)
- Our Lady of Chernobyl (1994)
+ The Planck Dive (1998) ( )
  igor.kh | Sep 12, 2008 |
What a place to experiment with ideas.. wonderful. A book to come back to, time and time and Time (What IS That?) again.... ( )
  richard_hesketh | Aug 24, 2006 |
El Nido de Ladrones (le Nid de Voleurs) occupe un territoire de forme vaguement elliptique situé à cheval sur la frontière entre la Colombie et le Pérou.

Le Bélial

An edition of this book was published by Le Bélial.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible