River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey

River of Teeth (2017)

by Sarah Gailey

Series: River of Teeth (1)

So I read this because of this: http://www.torforgeblog.com/2017/06/01/celebrate-pride-month-with-tor-com/

And it's... okay I guess? I mean it's a Western but with hippos instead of horses/cattle and with a lot of queerness, so you know, seems awesome? But in actual practice I just felt a little "meh" about it, didn't really feel a connection to the characters and thought the plot was a bit thin. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
I picked this book up because it was nominated for a Hugo, but I found myself bouncing right off of it by chapter four. I can’t exactly pinpoint what didn’t work for me. The concept is a bit odd to me - a Wild West (well, south) with hippos instead of horses. A bit cutesy. But the thing is, the book doesn’t live up to that promise. It’s slow to start, very slow in a genre where you can expect robbers and bar fights. Everything is too easy for the characters, who get like sketches to me. I really struggled with the romance right in the beginning too. The “southern” characters really bugged me, especially in that the dialogue was very dialect heavy and hard to read. I like dialect, but I like it done well. A lot of the character interaction was hard for me to believe because it came on so fast. Part of the issue is that when your traveling by hippo, well, your setting is a bit bland ie marsh. Throw in some magic and gators and struggles and it would be intriguing, but this book does not do that. I’m sorry to say I did not finish this. ( )
  hlwalrath | Aug 21, 2018 |
The best part of this novella is the two-page foreword by the author that explains that there once was an idea to import hippopotamuses into the Louisiana bayou to relieve a meat shortage and also fight an invasive aquatic plant. This book takes place in an alternate timeline where that really happened. Alas, the actual book is not particularly good. For some reason Gailey transposes the hippo plan from 1910 to 1857, and introduces a number of anachronisms into the book's setting of 1889. The book's characters never grabbed me-- I feel like the characterization came from the this-will-be-good-as-a-movie school of writing-- and the plotting was murky to me.
  Stevil2001 | Aug 3, 2018 |
River of Teeth is a fantastic alternative history book that was a joy to read and so unique. What was a blast is that she used a bit of real history as a basis! Only our crazy government would think of bringing hippos over to America! It didn't go through in real life but in this book it is a fun ride! Great story! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jul 21, 2018 |

I love this bonkers concept of an alternate steampunkish history where in the 1850s, hippopotami were introduced into the lower Mississippi, and immediately problems arise due to their tendency to take over the ecosystem. Our gender-diverse protagonists are sent on a mission to deal with the problem, and must deal with personal vendettas, betrayal and death. The hippos of this universe appear to be carnivorous, which suggests that evolution took a very strange turn at some point. ( )
  nwhyte | May 21, 2018 |

Gailey, Sarahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslow Remington Houndstooth was not a hero.

Sarah Gailey's wildfire debut River of Teeth is a rollicking alternate history adventure that Charlie Jane Anders calls "preposterously fun."

This was a terrible plan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:57:56 -0500)

In the early 20th Century, the United States government concocted a plan to import hippopotamuses into the marshlands of Louisiana to be bred and slaughtered as an alternative meat source. This is true. Other true things about hippos: they are savage, they are fast, and their jaws can snap a man in two. This was a terrible plan. Contained within this volume is an 1890s America that might have been: a bayou overrun by feral hippos and mercenary hippo wranglers from around the globe. It is the story of Winslow Houndstooth and his crew. It is the story of their fortunes. It is the story of his revenge.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible