Size 14 Is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot

Size 14 Is Not Fat Either (edition 2007)

by Meg Cabot

Member:Aeroette
Title:Size 14 Is Not Fat Either
Authors:Meg Cabot
Info:Pan Books (2007), Paperback, 356 pages
Tags:fiction, chick lit

Size 14 is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot (Author)

This is the second book in Meg Cabot's Heather Wells series. A former pop star, Heather now works at a dorm (residence hall) at New York College. When a cheerleader's severed head is found in the cafeteria kitchen, Heather promises not to get involved in the investigation by trying to solve it herself. Of course, she just can't seem to help herself, which results in trouble for her.

I really enjoyed this, as I did the first one. I think it's more chick lit with a mystery thrown in, but it's also more than the mystery. There is, of course, the obligatory crush, but there is also a slightly complicated relationship between Heather and her father. My favourite secondary character was definitely the neighbourhood drug dealer, Reggie, who is always chatting with Heather! It even picked up a little at the very end.
  LibraryCin | Jul 27, 2014 |
I think this one was better than the first. I feel like Heather is a little stronger in this one and doesn't come off as too much of a flake. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
3.5 stars. This book was good. I think I liked the first one better. This mystery was pretty gross to me, and the motivation behind the murder wasn't as interesting as in book 1. I cared, but I didn't really care. I was more interested in her relationship with Cooper, honestly. Which... didn't really go anywhere.

I loved her dad though, and her new boss! Awesome guys! :) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Pretty much the same review I had for the first book--adult subject matter, lower level writing, but still fun and a quick read. The mystery wasn't terribly difficult but it was intriguing enough. I'm on the fence about the main character right now; I can't say I like her all that much after this book. Sure, she seems to care about the students at her school, but as a person she's getting a little grating. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
The second book in trilogies are what make or break it. Fortunately, for a series like the Heather Wells mysteries, the books are largely stand-alone so you can pretty much jump in at any point without much trouble.

If anything, this book really focuses more on characterization; specifically, some secondary characters start playing a larger role. The biggest change is probably Gavin—after showing up in one appearance in the first book, he’s expanded into the role of “Pain in Heather’s Ass.” He’s another really random side character whom I enjoy. The rest of the Fisher Hall staff get an expanded role in this book as well, even if characters like Manuel only exist to serve the plot.

As for Heather and Cooper, not much has changed between them from the preceding book. I do like that Cooper gradually reveals his feelings for Heather, but firmly thinks that she’s not ready for him yet. Heather really hasn’t changed much from the first book. She’s a little bit more cynical, but very much still in the chick lit vein.

The murder mystery in this book, strangely enough, feels more natural in terms of the motive. The set-up and reveal of the victim are grossly exaggerated, but once you figure out the most likely suspect, it feels like that it could potentially happen. The side-plot about the campus drug dealing is okay, and some of the reveals involving that feel forced.

Of the three books, I feel that this is the weakest. It’s still an enjoyable book and I have fun reading it, but there’s not much that’s contributed to the overall plot aside from character building (and very weak building at that) and some plot development for the (currently) final installment.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
The guy behind the counter is checking me out.

Former pop star Heather Wells has settled nicely into her new life as assistant dorm director at New York College—a career that does not require her to drape her size 12 body in embarrassingly skimpy outfits. She can even cope (sort of) with her rocker ex-boyfriend's upcoming nuptials, which the press has dubbed The Celebrity Wedding of the Decade. But she's definitely having a hard time dealing with the situation in the dormitory kitchen—where a cheerleader has lost her head on the first day of the semester. (Actually, her head is accounted for—it's her torso that's AWOL.)

Surrounded by hysterical students—with her ex-con father on her doorstep and her ex-love bombarding her with unwanted phone calls—Heather welcomes the opportunity to play detective . . . again. If it gets her mind off her personal problems—and teams her up again with the gorgeous P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives—it's all good. But the murder trail is leading the average-sized amateur investigator into a shadowy world. And if she doesn't watch her step, Heather will soon be singing her swan song!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:45 -0400)

Pop star-turned-detective Heather Wells begins her second semester as an assistant dorm director only to find herself investigating the grisly beheading of a campus cheerleader.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible