The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume IIB…

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume IIB (original 1973; edition 1983)

by Ben Bova

Member:GVassmer
Title:The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume IIB
Authors:Ben Bova
Info:Avon Books (Mm) (1983), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 559 pages

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two B: The Greatest Science Fiction Novellas of All Time by Ben Bova (1973)

Pretty much every story a classic. Would be a great gift for a new science fiction reader. (Along with its companion volume.) ( )
  datrappert | Oct 17, 2016 |
Martian Way (Asimov Complete II)
Earthman Coem Home
Rougue Moon
Specter General
Machine Stops
Mider Plague
Witches of Kansas
E For Effort
In Hiding
Big Front Yard (Hugo Winners I & II)
Moon Math

This volume is the definitive collection of the best science fiction novellas between 1929 to 1964 and contains eleven great classics. There is no better anthology that captures the birth of science fiction as a literary field. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
Classic set of sf short stories. I obtained the first 4 volumes back in high school and have read them several times. ( )
1 vote azyre | Apr 5, 2013 |
After my lukewarm reaction toward Volume Two A, I was somewhat worried about this installment in the The Science Fiction Hall of Fame series, but I needn't've worried; this was a return to the heights of Volume One. I can't say that I disliked any of the stories, but Isaac Asimov's The Martian Way and James Blish's Earthman Come Home both left me fairly cold. All the other stories in this volume were gold, however. It would be nearly impossible for me to pick a favorite, but one contender might be Aldis Bugrys's Rogue Moon, a strange tale ostensibly about an alien artifact on the moon but more about the bizarre psychology of those who dare to investigate it-- absolutely captivating. Another is T. L. Sherred's E for Effort, a fun story about a past-observing machine in the line of Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus and Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter's The Light of Other Days, but with a far more cynical worldview. And there was also Jack Vance's The Moon Moth, a brilliant piece of anthropological (and even ethnomusicological) sf with a truly unusual yet seemingly plausible alien culture, as well as a cracking mystery. Oh, and a little jewel was Wilmar H. Shiras's In Hiding, which has a fairly bog-standard premise of a precocious superchild, but executes it perfectly. Other highlights included E. M. Forster's prophetic The Machine Stops and Theodore Cogswell's The Spectre General, an unremittingly fun story of the sort I was hoping for in but denied by Brian W. Aldiss's Galactic Empires collections. Definitely recommended; now I have to seek out Volumes Three and Four.
2 vote Stevil2001 | Oct 5, 2008 |
The second in a two-volume collection of the greatest science fiction novellas of all time. Except for Isaac Asimov's story "The Martian Way", I remember nothing of the other stories (although most of the authors are familiar to me), only that I enjoyed them all and plan a re-read someday. ( )
2 vote burnit99 | Dec 30, 2006 |

Sherred, T. L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shirras, Wilmar H.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simak, Clifford D.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, JackContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
From the doorway of the short corridor between the only two rooms in the travel-head of the spaceship, Mario Esteban Rioz watched sourly as Ted Long adjusted the video dials painstakingly.
Volume 2 of the Science Fiction Hall of Fame is Novellas. There were 24 in total, but 22 are included in the volume. Beause this made it such a large collection, volume 2 was split with 2B (confusingly called 'Volume Three' in a 1974 edition) containing:
"The Martian Way" by Isaac Asimov

In Hiding - Wilmar H. Shiras
The Big Front Yard - Clifford D. Simak
The Moon Moth - Jack Vance

Reference.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

This volume, the companion to The science fiction hall of fame, volume two A, presents another 11 novellas chosen by the Science Fiction Writers of America, to represent the "most influential, important, and memorable science fiction that has ever been written.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible