They both die at the end by Adam Silvera

They both die at the end (edition 2017)

by Adam Silvera

In a near-future New York City where a service alerts people on the day they will die, teenagers Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio meet using the Last Friend app and are faced with the challenge of living a lifetime on their End Day.
Member:redwritinghood38
Title:They both die at the end
Authors:Adam Silvera
Info:New York : Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, [2017]
Rating:***

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Scythe by Neal Shusterman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: YA books that take place in a world where our relationship with death has fundamentally changed

Idea behind story is good, but not well thought out. Too many loopholes, too many moments of build up, to be let down by a poorly thought out plot hole. Enjoyed the idea of the book. Loved the Queer and POC representation, acceptance of mental health issues, and I did feel invested in the characters, but that could be from the total alone as I love a mystery.
I would recommend it to people struggling with depression and FOMO, but don’t overthink the storyline like I did. Some of the characters left me wanting more development, but that could be a problem for a story called “They Both Die at the End” ( )
  KriMeow | Sep 14, 2020 |
“...stories can make someone immortal as long as someone else is willing to listen.”

I finally got past my emotions and arrived to some realizations.

1. I realized that the reason this book can cause such an impact is because, a number of the readers who started reading this subconsciously expected there to be a different ending. If you are like me who is a hardcore fantasy reader and this being your first Adam Silvera book, then we are probably feeling somewhat the same emotions.

2. Adam Silvera put cliche characters, in a very-not-cliche plot.

3. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the fact that foster homes were not written out to be some cage that always kept characters trapped until they could get out. They found a family within that foster home and the parents of the home weren't even that cliche couple who hated what they were doing and were only doing it for the money. At the very least, they actually cared about the kids that were put in their care. It's refreshing because I never liked the fact foster homes were generally given a bad image.

4. They never really explained how the system works. Which gives it a sense of mystery that is very appropriate for the book. ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
Wow!

Full review over on my blog @ kymisan.blogspot.com ( )
  kymisan | Jun 23, 2020 |
It's right there in the title, isn't it? They both die at the end. But the writer gave me a teeny-tiny bit of hope and I grabbed onto it till the end. I think it's when the heartbreak comes. Knowing they'll die but hoping maybe they won't and finding out they really did. Well played. My heart is left in shatter. ( )
  KLHtet | Jun 17, 2020 |
DNF at 12%

I really had high hopes for this book. And it could have gotten better. In fact, I'm sure it does. But the fact is, I wasn't enjoying myself. I just couldn't get into it. And it was due back at the library. Sooo...

I might give this book another try sometime. I'm sure it's great. I just don't think I was in the right mood for it right now.
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |

Adam Silveraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crouch, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daymond, RobbieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prades, SimonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people exist, that’s all.
—Oscar Wilde
For those who need a reminder to make every day count.

Shout-out to Mom for all the love and
Cecilia for all the tough love. I’ve always needed both.
Death-Cast is calling with the warning of a lifetime—I’m going to die today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible