Creating Stories by Hank Quense

Creating Stories

by Hank Quense

421,664,912 (4.75)None

I read this writing manual with a lot of enthousiasm. First of all because it was really practical, and not too complicated as to the language. Secondly, and what I don't find in a lot of other books on writing, the author really defines what he means. I've read quite a few books about writing - in lots of different languages - but the author of this books really speaks to me. He gives me the idea he really knows what he's talking about, and that is making a story that others will want to read (and keep reading). Each section of the book deals with one or more of the challenges that writers - especially those who are not so experienced such as I - face during the writing process. The book is dived into four parts: Setting and Characters, Plotting, Story-telling and More Stuff. Each part presents the matter in easily consumed bites.
The part that I liked most was the final section that deals with the subject of humour in stories and how to create it, and also the part where all kinds of practical issues are dealt with.
So, I would really recommend this book. It's complete, I like the friendly style and ease of delivery, and there is also a list of books that a beginning (of more experienced) writer could read. Because writing, after, all, start with reading (books as well as what happens in the world and in our mind).

I received this book through Librarything-giveaway from the author. I did my best to write this review as honest as possible. ( )
  tistje | May 14, 2017 |
This was a relief to read. I'm a planner and worried that over-planning would stifle creativity but this book debunks that notion. The book provides, in perfect level of detail, a guide to planning and writing fiction. The elements were a revelation to me as a reader - I have read novels with the right and wrong amounts of motivation, foreshadowing, tell vs show, emotional arc, events, etc. without knowing these terms but knowing the novels worked or not for me, for these very reasons.
This is really a 5 stars book but there were some typos to drop the rating slightly. I received this as a LibraryThing Member GiveAway. Thank you. ( )
1 vote BridgitDavis | May 12, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Hank Quense's book Creating Stories was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Hank Quense is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Hank Quense chatted with LibraryThing members from Dec 1, 2009 to Dec 15, 2009. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible