The Treasured One (The Dreamers, Book 2) by…

The Treasured One (The Dreamers, Book 2) (edition 2005)

by David Eddings

Member:bfgirl
Title:The Treasured One (The Dreamers, Book 2)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Voyager (2005), Paperback, 560 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Treasured One by David Eddings (Author)

This review is for the entire series, because all four books suffer from the same flaws.

Ye gods, this was a pile of rubbish. The Eddingses must have been writing on autopilot, because all the elements from previous series were here, but none of the enjoyment. The one-trick "races", the "precocious" child-goddess, the "warfare" between the "races" whose individual representatives all get along famously, the "clever" plans after a "setback" that always work, the "witty" sardonic sense of captain-obvious-humour that everyone defaults to, ... it goes on. The previous series by this duo had all of these -- but in moderation! They worked because there were different characters, plans and plot devices strewn in between the Eddingses' favourite tropes. Here, the clichés are all that's left, and the text is just filler, inserted to move the readers soullessly from one eddingsian trope to the next. It's as if no prior thought or planning went into this series, and these books are really a first draft with minimal editing.

The trick of following one (set of) character(s) for a couple of chapters before turning to another set is another reason why these books are so godawfully boring! It could have worked as a way of creating tension (it did for Robert Jordan), but the technique is not put to any use -- say, switching between fast-moving and slow-moving storylines, or heightening the tension by cutting between several climaxes. None of this works because the groups reunite every so often, and then the Eddingses treat us to painful sequences where the characters retell everything that happened to them to the others, and it goes on for a couple of pages. And what's worse, they do so in the most annoying way possible: faux-humble and pretend-cool, with only one sense of humour and one voice to go around a fairly large cast. Entire sequences of these books are dull repetition of events that happened two or three chapters ago, where characters stand around congratulating each other on how clever and brave and witty they are.

At this point most other reviewers here have warned you not to buy these books and to spend your time and money on something else. I can only agree with that sentiment, because I couldn't recommend this lazy excuse for a book to anyone. ( )
  Petroglyph | Sep 20, 2012 |
This review covers all four of the "Dreamers" series. I don't even know where to start. I am a big fan of David Eddings. His Belgariad/Malloreon and Elenium/Tamuli series are just great fun fantasy, and if there are some characters from one world that remind you characters from the other world, that's only natural.

"The Dreamers" series is a completely different matter. Eddings' fans who are yet to get their hands on that series - keep your hands where they are, and avoid touching it. The word "Dissapointment" doesn't get close enough. "Insolence" is closer to the mark, but I'm yet to locate the exact word in the English language to describe these books.
I have some theories that could explain the sudden plummeting of quality. I hope that one of them is true, as I'm a big fan of Eddings' earlier work.
1.The meddling wife: While his earlier work is signed by David Eddings alone, although he kept thanking his wife, Leigh, for her help, that series is signed by both of them. The first time they had both names on a book was at "Polgara the Sorceress". That book, while it is moderately fun to read for the freaks of the Belgariad/Malloreon, is quite repetitive, if not redundant, after you'd read "Belgarath the Sorcerer". However, it seems that it kept a decent level of humor and witticism, David Eddings' trademark. "The Redemption of Althalus", again signed by both David & Leigh, has started down the slippery slope of repetition. It seemed rather forced at times (I never felt anything forced at the Belgariad/Malloreon or the Elenium/Tamuli), but it was a single book and was quite fun for the most part. The Dreamers series is at the bottom of that above-mentioned slippery slope. Not only it is repetitive, it seems that whole parts of it are just copy/paste from the previous chapter. If the blame lies with the "meddling wife", I'll say that Leigh wrote the whole series and just added David's name on the cover in order to boost revenue.

2."Getting even with the bastard publisher": Well, first of all, it is clear that the publisher shares the responsibility of ever publishing the "Dreamers" abomination. My theory here is double pronged: Either the publisher forced an extremely tight schedule, and the Eddings couple thought "You know what, you bastard? We told you there's no way we'll get past the initial draft in such a short time, so that's exactly what you'll get!" and handed over their initial draft. They probably thought there's no way the publisher will even consider publishing such a pile of goat droppings. Well, I guess that the publisher gave them quite the nasty surprise... The other alternative is that they some financial disagreement, so David and Leigh threw their hands in the air and announced "That's what you paid us for, so that's what you gonna get!" This "Bastard publisher" theory has some merit, but it does not explain the "Redemption of Althalus".
3. The "writing Class" theory: Maybe the "Dreamers" series was meant only for wannabe fantasy writers in order to: a) show them how an initial draft might look like; b)provide an exemplary badly written fantasy.
4. The medical condition theory: I truly hope that both David and Leigh are in perfect condition, but it is possible that whoever wrote that document, known as the "dreamers", had gone through some brain damaging condition. I hope not.

All in all, unless you're a wannabe fantasy writer, keep away from that toxic dump site of the "Dreamers". It tarnishes Eddings' reputation no end, and it is just a horrible series of books that make even "Trash novels" look good.
  eitan.hess | Aug 1, 2010 |
The introduction to more characters and an additional set of bad guys keeps the conflict from getting stale. A different area to guard also adds more variety to the battles, especially the end one. Not quite as good as the first, but that is more my personal taste in characters than anything lacking in the book itself. ( )
  Aldrea_Alien | Jun 7, 2010 |
This book picks up right where the first book left off. After thwarting the first attack of the hive-like Vlagh, the action shifts to a different continent. The somewhat Rome-like Empire will supply troops to both sides in the conflict to come, pitting religion against legions. There are still some interesting characters in this book, but the repeated plot of an invasion of bug like monsters is getting a bit old. The resolution of the invasion is very convenient, and very disappointing. ( )
  Karlstar | Nov 10, 2009 |
(Alistair) More pure brain candy for the worst-fatigued bits of the busy period, about which I recall very little.

This gets two stars on Amazon. And in general, I agree with the tone of the reviews there. I didn't think it was possible for the writing team of Eddings and Eddings to fall below the range of standards we call "Extruded Fantasy Product", but from what I do recall of this, the more cynical Amazon reviewers are right down to the last drop.

Pure formulaic flat-charactered crap whose only virtue is that it requires no effort to read even for someone running at very high levels of cumulative sleep-debt. Not recommended - positively anti-recommended - for anyone outside this very special category.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2009/03/the_treasured_one_david_lei... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Mar 29, 2009 |

Mallé, Jean ClaudeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey, DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki,MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a time of uncertainty in the nest of the Vlagh, for no word of success had yet reached the nest from the warrior-servants which had followed the burrows below the face of the ground toward the broad water which lies beneath the sunset. -Preface
During the course of my many cycles I've grown very fond of the mountains of my Domain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446613304, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling authors David and Leigh Eddings, creators of such grand fantasy epics as The Belgariad and The Malloreon, continue the national bestselling saga of The Dreamers with an epic new novel of gods and mortals who must defy the dark forces that would destroy them all... Flush from their narrow victory over the horrific Vlagh, Longbow and his companions are drawn to a pastoral territory in south Dhrall, confident that they will thwart the next assault by their inhuman foe. But on the border of the Wasteland, the Vlagh is breeding a monstrous new army of venomous bat-bugs and armored spiders. These grotesque legions threaten to overwhelm the allies, who are further shocked by a prophecy delivered by the Dreamers: an invasion by a new, second army. A force of armed acolytes approaches to plunder this unspoiled land in a global holy war. Now farmers and hunters, soldiers and madmen, mortals and gods-all charge to a battle that will decide the fate of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:36 -0400)

They are called the Dreamers. They look like sleeping children. They are, in fact, Gods. Despite the literally earth-shattering climax of The Elder Gods, Dahlaine still does not regret having brought the Dreamers into the world of the Elder Gods. He only wishes he'd thought harder about the consequences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,787,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible