Cocoa Beach: A Novel by Beatriz Williams

205515,329 (3.6)5

4 * Review to follow ( )
  pennsylady | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the Acknowledgments to her novel, Beatriz Williams admitted that during the writing, it "was proving a Very Troublesome Manuscript. The plot kept growing and transforming, throwing off shoots, like the gothic Florida vegetation itself." She handed it over to her editor whose advice allowed her to finish the book.

The finished novel still has too many plots, some of which are unresolved, and too many characters, who make brief appearances and then disappear. Generically it's a rather lurid romance cum mystery cum psychological drama cum historical novel. I will admit the writing and the setting kept me turning pages (hence the 3 stars), but the ending was just too contrived. ( )
  janeajones | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I would recommend reading A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams before reading this book. You will understand more about Virginia's past if you read that book. This isn't necessarily a sequel to that book it just follows Virginia after the events of A Certain Age.
Virginia in A Certain Age held somewhat of a mystery about her so getting this expanded view into her life was great. You finally get to see how she met her husband and what led her to move back in with her father and sister.

In not sure that I enjoyed the back and forth between when Virginia first met Simon and the present day. I think I would have liked it more in chronological order. I did enjoy when a chapter ended with a letter from Simon to Virginia.

Towards the middle of the book the plot seemed to drag a bit and I became a little bit bored. I enjoyed when the book picked up towards the end and everything was revealed. I have to say that this was not my favorite one of Beatriz Williams' novels but it was still good.

I received this book from a Librarything Early Reviewers giveaway. My review is not affected by that. ( )
  dpappas | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wasn't crazy about Cocoa Beach. I felt the characters weren't fully developed except for Captain Simon. So, I really didn't care what happened to them. The ending was vague, leaving the reader with a sense of bewilderment. Other Beatriz Williams books are so much richer and not quite so wordy. ( )
  terrylynn | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book travels back and forth between 1917 when Virginia Fortescue meets Captain Simon Fitzwilliam during the war and they fall in love, and 1922 when she receives correspondence alerting her to his death. She has to grapple between the things she was told by him, and things that others told her that contradicted it all. It is very fast-paced and you will want to keep turning the pages until you think you have uncovered all the secrets and lies. I will have to say, this book keeps you guessing until the very end. ( )
  lewislibrary | Apr 14, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cocoa Beach by Beatriz Williams was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible