Cocoa Beach: A Novel by Beatriz Williams

Cocoa Beach: A Novel

by Beatriz Williams

I have read several books from this author and enjoyed them. Yet, this book did not have the same passion of the characters and the storyline that I have come to enjoy from this author.

Yes, I liked Virginia and Simon. Despite the age gap, they were good together. Part of the reason that they worked well together is because Virginia acted more mature for her age. Additionally, I gravitated towards her independence. The only flaw I had towards Virginia is that she did not give Simon more of a chance. He was not perfect but he really loved Virginia. The letters that he wrote to Virginia made him more endearing to me.

I wished that I could have stayed in the past. The present was a bore to me; despite the mystery surrounding Simon's death. Try as I might, I could not connect with the rest of Simon's family. The mystery was fine but lacking in intrigue. Every time that the story switched to the present, I was not a fan. In fact, there was a few times where I would skip just to get back to the past. This book is not one of my favorites from this author. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book because I have read and enjoyed several of the author's previous novels. Each one I found to be an engrossing story featuring well developed, interesting characters.

Unfortunately, I found Cocoa Beach utterly unlike her earlier books. I appreciate that she tries to create an aura of mystery surrounding the main character/narrator;, however, the actual effect is confusing, and a feeling that the narrator is distant, and unknowable. I just couldn't get into this one, and gave up less than 100 pages in.
I still intend to read the other two books I have that were written by Ms. Williams, as they involve characters from previous novels of hers that I liked.
  doglover58 | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review. This book tells the story of Virginia Fortescue, a young woman who decides to go to Europe during World War I to assist as an ambulance driver.While overseas she meets Simon Fitzwilliam, a young man who is seemingly infatuated with her but who also unfortunately has other responsibilities in life. Virginia can't resist her infatuation with him though, and given her extremely sheltered upbringing she doesn't know how to defend against his charm and endearing personality. However, its only after the wedding that Virginia finds out Simon may have had some ulterior motives. Alternating between explaining their past and how their relationship began and the present day, Virginia and Simon's story unfolds in a way that you would never expect.
Overall I ended up liking this book a lot more than I expected to. The first half of the book really was hard for me to get into, the story line ended up being really interesting but at first did not reach out to me at all. I thin part of my problem was that I couldn't figure out how the last book connected to this book. And really her book A Certain Age has more of a connection since Virginia is actually mentioned in that book (the book is about her sister, Sophie). Once we got about halfway through the book though, the pace of the story line really picked up and the two timelines kind of merged together enough that things started making a lot more sense. The first half of the book I didn't really think I'd like the book but the plot twists in the second half of the book were great and really grabbed at the reader. I would recommend this one but be warned it might be hard to get through the first half. ( )
  Rebeccabookreview | May 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cocoa Beach is part adventure, part romance, set in World War I and its aftermath in the 20s. These are themes continued from author Beatriz Williams’ earlier books. The protagonist and narrator here, young Virginia Fortescue, escapes a smothering family life (and some family scandals) in New York City by joining a volunteer ambulance corps that ends up supporting the British in France. After a brief battlefield romance, she ends up marrying an English doctor, who turns out to have his own set of secrets and family scandals, bad enough that she ends up leaving him as soon as she has a chance to meet his family. The rest of the story is what happens after she is notified of his death in Florida a few years later, where she is the heir to a lucrative citrus and shipping business he’s built there. That turns out to fueled by rum-running. Various bad guys and relatives show up with designs on her inheritance and the plot gets suitably twisty. The author keeps things ticking along and you won’t guess all of how things turn out. It’s an enjoyable read and would be a great beach book. ( )
  Larxol | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Outstanding read! This book kept me guessing all the way to the end. Excellent plot twists and turns keep leading the reader to think they know what's coming, then turn around on a dime. I will definitely !took for more from this author. ( )
  dmjohnson12 | May 19, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Beatriz Williams's book Cocoa Beach is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible