Cocoa Beach: A Novel by Beatriz Williams

Cocoa Beach: A Novel

by Beatriz Williams

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cocoa Beach is part adventure, part romance, set in World War I and its aftermath in the 20s. These are themes continued from author Beatriz Williams’ earlier books. The protagonist and narrator here, young Virginia Fortescue, escapes a smothering family life (and some family scandals) in New York City by joining a volunteer ambulance corps that ends up supporting the British in France. After a brief battlefield romance, she ends up marrying an English doctor, who turns out to have his own set of secrets and family scandals, bad enough that she ends up leaving him as soon as she has a chance to meet his family. The rest of the story is what happens after she is notified of his death in Florida a few years later, where she is the heir to a lucrative citrus and shipping business he’s built there. That turns out to fueled by rum-running. Various bad guys and relatives show up with designs on her inheritance and the plot gets suitably twisty. The author keeps things ticking along and you won’t guess all of how things turn out. It’s an enjoyable read and would be a great beach book. ( )
  Larxol | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Outstanding read! This book kept me guessing all the way to the end. Excellent plot twists and turns keep leading the reader to think they know what's coming, then turn around on a dime. I will definitely !took for more from this author. ( )
  dmjohnson12 | May 19, 2017 |

Virginia is definitely a strong woman. When we first meet her she is driving an ambulance in France during WWI. She left her family home and all of her secrets behind in New York and ran away to France to help with the war. While there she meets a British doctor, Simon, who will change the whole course of her life. The book moves between Virginia's days in France and five years later when she moves to Florida to try to find out what happened to her husband and to settle his estate. This move puts her life and the life of her young daughter in danger and she continues to face challenges as she tries to solve the mystery surrounding his death.

This was a fantastic very readable book. The author knew both time periods very well and managed to give us a look at life in the early part of the 20th century as she crafted an immensely interesting mystery plot. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.Thanks to goodreads for a copy of this book for review. I've never read this author before and I enjoyed this book so much that I'm now ordering her older books to read.

This was a fantastic very readable book. The author knew both time periods very well and managed to give us a look at life in the early part of the 20th century as she crafted an immensely interesting mystery plot. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. ( )
  susan0316 | May 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Virginia has learned that her husband, that she met in France during WWI has died and this comes just as the trial of her father has ended for the murder of her mother. She takes her daughter to Florida to settle his accounts and as she is doling this she thinks back to their meeting and the life they had before they split after the war. She remains deeply in love with Simon, but was he involved in some shady dealings? She has been left with a shipping company and a citrus plantation, but also with a brother-in-law whom seems to be interested in her. Is his interest for her or for the inheritance that she is about to gain? Why does a federal agent contact her and warn her to go back to New York? There seems to something fishy going on here and she is determined to find out what it is. A lot of twists and turns in this one and even a few surprises. An excellent read. ( )
  qstewart | May 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beatriz Williams is one of my favorite authors. I have now read 7 of her books. Unfortunately, this is the first one that I did not really enjoy. Though the writing itself was still good, the story line was very convoluted and the time changes added to the confusion. I did not really feel much affinity with any of the characters and disliked many of them. I also felt that the "surprise" ending didn't work for her style or this story. Sorry, Beatriz. Though this was a miss for me, I will of course be first in line for your next novel. ( )
  mryan40 | May 11, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Beatriz Williams's book Cocoa Beach is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible