The Breakdown by B A Paris

The Breakdown

by B A Paris

English (77)  Italian (1)  All languages (78)
Another domestic thriller of the “is she going crazy, or is someone doing this to her?” variety. Unfortunately, the big reveal seemed obvious early on, which tarnished the entertainment value. I selected it because the book was on the “Best Novel” short-list for a 2018 Thriller Award. Compared to the other two nominees I read, it falls short of the nail-biting excitement of Gin Phillips’s Fierce Kingdom or the fascination of Dan Chaon’s Ill Will.
The story takes place in and around a mid-sized English market town. One night, as Cass is driving through the woods to her isolated (natch) home in a terrible rainstorm, she sees a woman in her car, stopped by the side of the road. Since the woman doesn’t appear to be in distress, rather than get drenched, she doesn’t offer aid. The next morning, she learns the woman has been murdered. And that she knows her.
Guilt over not helping, strange occurrences that make her think the killer may now be stalking her, and fear that, like her mother, she may be suffering from early-onset Alzheimer’s make for a pretty mopey outlook. The narration of the audio version reflects that, though I admire Georgia Maguire’s portrayal of the long-suffering husband. You can hear—and empathize with—his growing doubts about his wife’s mental state. If you like the “gaslight” subgenre, you may enjoy this. ( )
  Vicki_Weisfeld | Aug 29, 2018 |
I love her books! People can be so manipulative. I thought I had it figured out and was wrong, not completely wrong but quite blindsided. Good, fast read! Can't wait for her next novel. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. It was very well written and I really enjoyed this book. However, for me in a suspense/thriller I want to be going in a hundred different directions with a hundred different "who dunnits", unfortunately for me I figured the who and the how within the first 50 pages. So that dropped the excitement level down for me a little. I would still highly recommend this book. ( )
  TraceyTurnsThePage2 | Jul 23, 2018 |
I don't normally read psychological thrillers because they trigger issues for me but this is our book club book this month so I read it. It's a good story. I was sucked into from the first moment (of course, I did have all the lights on.) I guessed what was happening to her within the first chapter and I was right. I knew her husband was up to no good and I was right. I did not guess the murderer and was only half right on the reason for the murder. I was guessing up to the end on how it would all fall into place. Luck was on Cass' side and she deserved it. I'll read this author again. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 14, 2018 |
This is a solid psychological thriller. Even though Cass drove me crazy for most of the book, her story kept me intrigued, eager to find out where all her forgetfulness would lead. Then, the big reveal happened, which I hadn’t come close to guessing, but it left me feeling betrayed at the end. ( )
  hes7 | May 8, 2018 |

"Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods ... with the woman sitting inside--the woman who was killed. She's been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It's a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she'd broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she'd stopped. But since then, she's been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn't have a baby. The only thing she can't forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible