The Breakdown: A Novel by B. A. Paris

The Breakdown: A Novel (edition 2018)

by B. A. Paris (Author)

Member:Barb_H
Title:The Breakdown: A Novel
Authors:B. A. Paris (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2018), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:Read, Audiobook, Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Breakdown by B A Paris

English (86)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
This is a suspenseful story about a young woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Cass (Cassandra) is happily married, has lots of friends with one BFF, Rachel. She works as a teacher and is very good at her job. Both her parents are dead, her mother from early onset dementia. Her husband Matthew does not know about her mother's death. Cass is driving home one night and she sees a car on a road that is used as a shortcut through the forested area. Although she stops to check on the driver, she leaves the scene. The next day, she finds out that the driver of this car, "Jane", has been killed. Cass is riddled with guilt about not stopping. Could she have saved this woman from death if she had stopped? She starts to forget things, lose things, and can feel reality sinking away? She begins to fear that she is developing early onset dementia as well.

This is written in the first person, and you can feel Cass' fear and terror as she begins to realize that she may be going developing dementia or having a nervous breakdown. There is a lot of twists and turns in this story that keep you wondering what is going to happen next. The story takes a bit to develop but stick with it because everything comes together in an amazing conclusion. I loved this book, but it is scary to realize that you never know who your real friends are. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. The opinions exressed are my own.

Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Not nearly as good as Behind Closed Doors. I thought that it was quite obvious what was going on way before the final chapters when all was revealed. Plus, I got tired of all the hysteria and "I can't remember" parts. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
This is the first novel, in a long time that drew me in and I "needed" to finish. As a busy mom of 5 its hard to find the time to read. I read this on my kindle app on my phone so anytime I needed to wait online I kept reading. I felt, early on, that I knew what was going to happen, yet the author added more and more layers that I kept changing my predictions on what I felt was going to happen. If you like a psychological thriller, I highly recommend this one, but be prepared to start worrying about your own memory and how you interpret your day to day life! ( )
  quadmama | Dec 27, 2018 |
I'm reviewing The Breakdown: The 2017 gripping thriller from the bestselling author of Behind Closed Doors, by B A Paris. This is a review of a free book I received through the Amazon Vine Reviewers programme. Here's what I thought:

^^ On a rainy night, Cass Anderson discovers a girl sitting in her car in a lay-by. Although she pulls over to see if she wants help the girl doesn't get out to ask for it, so thinking she's wants to be left alone Cass drives away. The next day Cass is horrified to hear the girl's been found murdered and perhaps she could have prevented it from happening, or even saved her.

^^
Now, Cass is wracked with guilt and an uneasy feeling that the murderer is watching her. Does that mean both Cass and the murderer were there at the same time that night? Is her own life now in danger? Who is behind the nuisance calls she's getting? Is her forgetfulness getting worse just because of the stress she is going through, or is this a sign of early onset dementia just like her mother had? It's certainly looking like the latter.

^^ Oh, where to start? The beginning would be a good place! I love the book beginning – it really sets the dark tone — with an echoing crack of thunder, hot dense air, and the promise of something happening as she rushes to her car with her phone ringing. Immediately, I knew I was going to love this because of the author's great writing style! The suspense is so well written I could not read it fast enough.

^^ Just so you know, I've not read Behind Closed Doors, so The Breakdown is basically my first book by BA P
aris. I'd heard so much about both books, I really wanted to like this one. Did it live up to my expectations? Oh yes, and if you're a regular reader of my blog you'll already know this, as I picked it out as one of my Instagram Friday56 and Book Beginning features!

^^ Here's what I said as I was reading it: "I’m at the last quarter of the book now, and O.M.G. the shock has been revealed and I’m now racing along eager to know what happens, but at the same time I don’t want it to finish!! Now, I have my suspicions how it’s going to end. I hope I am right! *Excited*"

^^ By the way, I wasn’t sure — until I received this book and started reading — if this was about a car breaking down, or her breakdown. I tried avoid all clues and reviews that might tell me. I’m pleased to say the title hints at both…

^^ I loved the way the texts Cass discovered changed the whole feeling of the book. Yes, this is purposely cryptic, so I don't g
ive anything away.

^^ I felt the author, BA Paris, wrote so seamlessly. She makes writing look so easy, even though you can tell a lot of effort has gone into such a good read. That, and of course she's a pretty skillful writer.

Overall: I'm surprised it DIDN'T end as I suspected, but not in a bad way. Although, part of me did feel like the last chapter wasn't needed, so I could be left on an exhilarated high. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed this read, and will now be buying her first book Behind Closed Doors. If this is anything to go by, it's going to be another fast-paced read. Besides, I need to catch up ready for her next book. Happy to recommend! ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
Cass is taking a shortcut through a wooded area on her drive home one stormy night when she sees a woman in a stopped car. Fearful for her safety, she doesn’t stop to offer help. When she learns the next day that the woman was found dead Cass feels very guilty. The guilt is so bad that it turns her life upside down. Then to add to her discomfort she begins to receive silent calls which cause her to feel threatened. Soon her anxiety increases when she thinks that someone is watching her. As the situation gets more intense Cass becomes reclusive and withdrawn and is on the verge of a breakdown.

The characters are well drawn and the title serves to represent both the breakdown of the car and of Cass and her life. Unfortunately, I believe that unraveling the answer to the mystery is a little too obvious making the book a bit disappointing.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |

"Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods ... with the woman sitting inside--the woman who was killed. She's been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It's a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she'd broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she'd stopped. But since then, she's been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn't have a baby. The only thing she can't forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible