The Breakdown: A Novel by B. A. Paris

The Breakdown: A Novel (edition 2018)

by B. A. Paris (Author)

Member:Tove_Reads
Title:The Breakdown: A Novel
Authors:B. A. Paris (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2018), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

The Breakdown by B A Paris

Recently added byprivate library, slk33, rena75, starlabrite, TiffanAnne, kxn11

English (88)  Italian (1)  All languages (89)
This was a great novel. Overall, I was impressed with the fact that the story kept me guessing throughout. I was convinced I had figured out who killed Jane and who was tormenting Cass, but I was wrong. I appreciated the sense of hysteria that the author was able to evoke in me, as a reader. Highly recommend for fans of The Girl on the Train! ( )
  kelseymorgan88 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Listened to the Audiobook Version ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 20, 2019 |
Cass is having a bad night and things get worse for her. A woman that she saw stopped at the side of the road, a rainy , creepy dark road, winds up dead.

This is exactly the type of book I dive into and do not want to stop until I know what really happened. Cass's life just seemed to fall apart page after page, I kept thinking how can things get worse for this character? The author really took me on a twisted journey with this one. Cass is now paranoid and is having trouble remembering things. I found this book to be a bit spooky , not one that I would want to read alone in the house at night. All throughout the book I did have some theories that I was right about, I kind of saw where this one was going but I was not one hundred percent sure and that is one of the things that I loved about the book. The fact that it made me question almost every characters real intentions toward Cass was another good thing this book had going for it. I had no idea who Cass could trust, maybe she was the guilty one , I just had no clue.

Towards the end of the book there is a lot of suspense and when I finally find out what really happened, I am not surprised but then something else happens and I am surprised. It's just that type of book.This review was originally posted on Cindy's Book Binge ( )
  fictionalblonde | Apr 10, 2019 |
This is a suspenseful story about a young woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Cass (Cassandra) is happily married, has lots of friends with one BFF, Rachel. She works as a teacher and is very good at her job. Both her parents are dead, her mother from early onset dementia. Her husband Matthew does not know about her mother's death. Cass is driving home one night and she sees a car on a road that is used as a shortcut through the forested area. Although she stops to check on the driver, she leaves the scene. The next day, she finds out that the driver of this car, "Jane", has been killed. Cass is riddled with guilt about not stopping. Could she have saved this woman from death if she had stopped? She starts to forget things, lose things, and can feel reality sinking away? She begins to fear that she is developing early onset dementia as well.

This is written in the first person, and you can feel Cass' fear and terror as she begins to realize that she may be going developing dementia or having a nervous breakdown. There is a lot of twists and turns in this story that keep you wondering what is going to happen next. The story takes a bit to develop but stick with it because everything comes together in an amazing conclusion. I loved this book, but it is scary to realize that you never know who your real friends are. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. The opinions exressed are my own.

Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Not nearly as good as Behind Closed Doors. I thought that it was quite obvious what was going on way before the final chapters when all was revealed. Plus, I got tired of all the hysteria and "I can't remember" parts. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |

"Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods ... with the woman sitting inside--the woman who was killed. She's been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It's a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she'd broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she'd stopped. But since then, she's been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn't have a baby. The only thing she can't forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible