Wild About Books by Judy Sierra

Wild About Books (2004)

by Judy Sierra

Other authors: Marc Brown (Illustrator)

Wild About Books is a modern fantasy that encourages excitement about books and reading flowing into being able to write. Children will love this story of zoo animals reading and writing and Judy Sierra does a wonderful job a putting the words into rhyme. This book is appropriate for beginning readers. ( )
  jenniferm14 | Mar 9, 2015 |
This book was an educational way to introduce reading as a fun hobby to children, and I really enjoyed it. It starts with a librarian who mistakenly drove her public library “bookmobile” out near a zoo, and from there described how excited all of the animals were to pick out books on topics that they found interesting. I also liked how the book referenced Dr. Suees and Nancy Drew, and how all of the animals came running towards her to hear her read during the book. The author writes: “Forsaking their niches, their nests, and their nooks, they went wild, simply wild, about wonderful books,” which subtly shows what kinds of habitats animals live in/could be a good discussion to have after the book is read to a class.
The idea of wild animals (or a child’s favorite animal) being excited for reading will make them more inclined to enjoy reading as well. In addition, the illustrations are colorful and exciting and “wild,” and show all different kinds of animals on each page reading books that children might find familiar like Peter Pan and Dumbo. Throughout the book, I was connecting with familiar authors and titles, so I got to thinking about how fun it would be for kids to relate to a book that a hippopotamus was reading in this book.
I also liked how the book was written in sing-songy rhymes, like “the pandas demanded more books in Chinese. Molly filled their requests, always eager to please.” This shows that librarians are very helpful and there are tons of books to choose from at the library, whatever you’re interested in you should explore. This specific example also informed readers that pandas live in China.
As the book progresses, the animals decide to write their own books. I think this was a clever way to relate reading and writing, and maybe even spark creativity in children to do the same. She used relatable school struggles like “And although the gazelle couldn’t spell very well, like everyone else, she had stories to tell” that could help give children more confidence in learning from their mistakes and continuing to write. The last part of the book that I thought was very cute was when the animals changed the name in the zoo to “Zoobrary.” ( )
  tmalon4 | Mar 1, 2015 |
The clever, rhyming verses in combination with big, bold, colorful illustrations and appealing art style make this book about books one of my favorite new discoveries. Dedicated to the late Doctor Seuss, it is written in his rhyming likeness. I love how the crocodiles are reading Peter Pan, the elephant is reading Dumbo and the giraffes are reading books about basketball. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 25, 2015 |
I loved this the minute I saw it. The lilting rhymes move the story right along, the lively drawings are both humorous and colorful, and the books' titles which the various animals read are cleverly attuned to both the animal reading them an adult's knowledge of books. The purpose of this book, to encourage and inculcate a love of reading, is wonderfully fulfilled in this cheerful and engaging book.
If you like Dr. Seuss and/or Bill Peet, you and your children will like this. (The dedication at the end, signed by both author and illustrator honors Dr. Seuss.) ( )
  Kathleen828 | Feb 11, 2015 |
This was a story about a librarian who goes to the zoo and makes all the animals fall in love with books and reading. I would use this book to read out loud to my students. It is a great and entertaining story that kids would love, I would say the genre would be modern fantasy.
  Rsantoyo13 | Jan 20, 2015 |

Judy Sierraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
When you visit the zoo now, you surely won't mind

If the animals seem just a bit hard to find --

They are sug in their niches, their nests, and their nooks,

Going wild, simply wild, about wonderful books.
This book is for our favorite doctor, artist, poet, fun concocter: Theodor Seuss Geisel, 1904-1991. -- Judy Sierra and Marc Brown
It all started the summer of 2002,

When the Springfield librarian, Molly McGrew,

By mistake drove her bookmobile into the zoo.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037582538X, Hardcover)

It started the summer of 2002, when the Springfield librarian, Molly McGrew, by mistake drove her bookmobile into the zoo.

In this rollicking rhymed story, Molly introduces birds and beasts to this new something called reading. She finds the perfect book for every animal—tall books for giraffes, tiny ones for crickets. “She even found waterproof books for the otter, who never went swimming without Harry Potter.” In no time at all, Molly has them “forsaking their niches, their nests, and their nooks,” going “wild, simply wild, about wonderful books.” Judy Sierra’s funny animal tale coupled with Marc Brown’s lush, fanciful paintings will have the same effect on young Homo sapiens. Altogether, it’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:25 -0400)

A librarian named Mavis McGrew introduces the animals in the zoo to the joy of reading when she drives her bookmobile to the zoo by mistake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,147,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible