Wild About Books by Judy Sierra

Wild About Books (2004)

by Judy Sierra

Other authors: Marc Brown (Illustrator)

Genre: Fantasy. This is fantasy because the animals at the zoo read books and build their own library.
Media: Ink and Wash
Uses: I would use this at any time. I absolutely love this book. It is so cute and it was one of the first one's you read to us and I fell in love with it.
  ShayleeHutchison | Apr 14, 2016 |
Review: This book is all about a book mobile librarian who accidentally runs her truck into a zoo. She then begins to give books out to the animals to read and enjoy. She helps them all find books that they enjoy, generally the animals read books about themselves, the bears read about Goldy Locks, and the snakes read about themselves as well. It is a fantastic book that I enjoyed enough to buy it myself.

Uses: I would use this book to help kids become interested in reading. I also would use this book to help teach about fantasy books. Overall I think its a fun book that I could use at any time just for fun.

Genre: This book fits into the fantasy genre. It fits here easily because it is all about animals in a zoo who read books. It even includes them checking books out and asking for certain types of books. In the end they begin building a zoo library.

Media: Ink and Wash
  swallace14 | Apr 14, 2016 |
A great way to promote libraries, reading and how it leads to writing
Curricular Connections:
*Books about Libraries
*Poetry-haiku
*Books that rhyme
  JulieBFEL | Mar 9, 2016 |
aljabijeip'fjepij ( )
  CrystalBrooks | Mar 1, 2016 |
In this book, a librarian brings the gift of books to a zoo filled with animals, and they go wild about books. This version is in Spanish, and I decided to read it to get a feel for a somewhat familiar book in a language I am learning. This book is an excellent example of a fantasy because it is so entirely believable that anyone who reads it has even the tiniest bit of hope that there is a hippo author out there.
Media: pencil and gouache ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Feb 17, 2016 |

Judy Sierraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
When you visit the zoo now, you surely won't mind

If the animals seem just a bit hard to find --

They are sug in their niches, their nests, and their nooks,

Going wild, simply wild, about wonderful books.
This book is for our favorite doctor, artist, poet, fun concocter: Theodor Seuss Geisel, 1904-1991. -- Judy Sierra and Marc Brown
It all started the summer of 2002,

When the Springfield librarian, Molly McGrew,

By mistake drove her bookmobile into the zoo.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037582538X, Hardcover)

It started the summer of 2002, when the Springfield librarian, Molly McGrew, by mistake drove her bookmobile into the zoo.

In this rollicking rhymed story, Molly introduces birds and beasts to this new something called reading. She finds the perfect book for every animal—tall books for giraffes, tiny ones for crickets. “She even found waterproof books for the otter, who never went swimming without Harry Potter.” In no time at all, Molly has them “forsaking their niches, their nests, and their nooks,” going “wild, simply wild, about wonderful books.” Judy Sierra’s funny animal tale coupled with Marc Brown’s lush, fanciful paintings will have the same effect on young Homo sapiens. Altogether, it’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:43 -0400)

A librarian named Mavis McGrew introduces the animals in the zoo to the joy of reading when she drives her bookmobile to the zoo by mistake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible