Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement

Mission of Gravity (edition 1978)

by Hal Clement

Title:Mission of Gravity
Authors:Hal Clement
Info:Del Rey (1978), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Science Fiction, $Kindle

Mission of gravity by Hal Clement

Recently added byRaellwyn, rochelle12, private library, rein-east, bnsmith, bumble-bri
Legacy LibrariesSterling E. Lanier

English (16)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (18)
I've had an itch to read some classic science fiction. Reading old SF novels can be a little hit or miss. Sometimes I choose a random oldie, but I chose this one expecting it to be a hit (it has an excellent reputation) and got a hit. This novel is as old as me, and seems to have held up better. Hal Clement was an author who I didn't read when I was younger. No particular reason, but I was certainly aware of him. I really enjoyed his novel Cycle of Fire that I read a few years ago. On the strength of this one I'll be reading more.

This is hard science fiction in the sense of the subject, but I found the story very readable. It gets a little engineering heavy in spots, but never too much, and the world building of life on an unusual methane planet with hugely different gravities across the surface, and the interaction between humans and the little intelligent centipede-like critters who live on this heavy planet just had me very interested. I was never the least bit bored reading this. Earthmen have limitations on the planet and they need to recover an expensive probe from an area they cannot go. Thus they recruit some locals for the adventure. We are repeatedly made aware that the very helpful locals have something else on the agenda. I really came to like the native sea trading captain who was enlisted by humans for the adventure.

The writing is a little clunky here and there and a bit of that I might attribute to style 60 years ago. Still, this gets a high rating by me for classics in the genre. ( )
  RBeffa | Jun 17, 2015 |
This is an excellent hard sci-fi novel. His descriptions of the high-gravity world and its inhabitants are detailed, fascinating, and believable. The interactions between the human protagonist and his alien contact on the extraterrestrial planet will keep you constantly puzzling about their true intentions. ( )
  cliffhays | Dec 27, 2013 |
Romanzo molto interessante, non tanto per la trama, abbastanza semplice e lineare, ma per la "costruzione" della fisica che regola il pianeta in cui si svolge l'azione.
Particolarmente interessante in questa edizione è l'intervento finale dell'autore che descrive i passi con cui ha creato Mesklin, anche perchè fa capire lo sforzo scientifico-intellettuale necessario per scrivere fantascienza di qualità. ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was a feast and a treat for my inner science nerd. Scientists from earth have sent an enormously expensive probe to gather unique data from near the pole of a tremendously high gravity planet. They have high hopes that this data will help them solve a number of thorny scientific problems and provide the next great leap forward in technological advancement. Unfortunately, the probe has malfunctioned, and although they know it completed the data gather, and can see that its there, and intact, its not coming back. No one can go repair it or collect the data from it because humans can only survive at the equator of this planet. When they travel into the higher latitudes the gravity is too much for them and anyone who tried to travel to the pole would implode before he got there.

Fortunately, the higher latitudes are inhabited. By intelligent foot and a half long lobster/caterpiller creatures who are adapted to the high gravity and perfectly capable of retrieving the probe. If they can be persuaded to travel the thousands of miles over unknown territory through hurricanes and floods and encounter previously undiscovered beasts and civilizations. Luckily the Earthers manage to find a flotilla of traders with a strong sense of adventure who are willing to take on the mad task.

The rest of the book is the joint exploration and trade mission of the lobster creatures, with much advice and kibbitzing from the scientist liason assigned to work with them via radio. A lot of very geeky fun can be had reading the attempts of the two species to understand one another and strategize as the creatures travel along the route to the probe. I found the creatures to be charming, and the ways both parties had to work through mutual incomprehension due to the very different physical laws of their two worlds was often very funny in a geeky sort of a way. I also loved the goodwill with which these very different creatures tried to work together and understand each other.

This is a very specific kind of book however. If you are not a person who likes trying to understand how a radio works, or why light bends or how having methane seas would affect buoyancy, this may not be for you. For me, it was great fun. ( )
1 vote bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is quintessential 1950s geek science fiction: it's a story—but, really, the story exists to provide a vehicle for the science. Evidently, Clement liked challenges along the lines of "such-and-such couldn't exist." In this particular case, he tackled the premise that there was plenty of science fiction about low gravity planets and even more science fiction about high gravity planets…but everyone agreed you couldn't have a planet that was both, right?

Enter Mesklin, a world that is several times more massive than Earth but spins so quickly that its day is only 18 minutes long and its shape is a severely flattened ball. The result is hundreds of gravities at the poles and only three gravities at the equator. Its inhabitants can survive in the polar regions and feel like there is almost no gravity as they move toward Rim: high and low gravity in the same planet. Humans have lost an exploration probe on the planet and, since they cannot survive on most of it, they form an alliance with the natives to perform a salvage operation.

It's fun to watch Clement both explain and explore the physics, which he does in easily digested terminology. It's even more fun to watch him explore the psychological aspects of the inhabitants. Severe acrophobia and a pathological dread of having anything solid above them are just two of the characteristics that make total sense given the world but are difficult for humans to remember.

However, typical of this particular era, the book will seem a little flat by today's standards. There's little excitement or drama, and the movement toward social science fiction is still a decade away.

It's fun. It's certainly interesting from the perspective of seeing the development of science fiction. I think it's worth reading if you're a fan of the genre. However, I doubt it would make a Top Ten Entertaining SF Books of All Time list. ( )
1 vote TadAD | Jan 17, 2013 |

Tanguy, YvesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Dongen, H.R.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, Wallace A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwierd, ErikCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wind came across the bay like something living.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345270924, Mass Market Paperback)

For a profit -- and adventure -- Barlennan would sail thousands of miles across uncharted waters, into regions where gravity itself played strange tricks. He would dare the perils of strange tribes and stranger creatures -- even dicker with those strange aliens from beyond the skies, though the concept of another world was unknown to the inhabitants of the disk-shaped planet of Mesklin.
But in spite of the incredible technology of the strangers and without regard for their enormous size, Barlennan had the notion of turning the deal to an unsuspected advantage for himself . . . all in all a considerable enterprise for a being very much resembling a fifteen-inch caterpillar!
This book also contains Hal Clement's classic article "Whiligig World."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible