The People We Hate at the Wedding: A Novel…

The People We Hate at the Wedding: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Grant Ginder (Author)

Member:ChelleBearss
Title:The People We Hate at the Wedding: A Novel
Authors:Grant Ginder (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2017), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:2018, Your library, eBook

The People We Hate at the Wedding: A Novel by Grant Ginder

This book was awful. I only finished it because I was hoping that the ending would be a saving grace, and it was not. The book was not really about the people at the wedding, as much as it was about the family dynamic of a broken family separated by an ocean. The wedding was merely an excuse for them to ramble on and on about how f***ed up their individual lives were, and I feel, honestly and truly that it was an unnecessary detail and a distracting detail.

I borrowed this book from the library knowing nothing about it. I was looking for a quick read and it is a popular borrow. I wish I had checked the reviews before borrowing because I now see that I am far from alone in my feelings about this book. If you want to be bored out of your mind and/or listen to characters bitch and moan like immature adults, then by all means go for it. Else if, you just like to torture yourself with a bad book then carry on. Otherwise, I highly recommend you walk away from this book and forget you were ever interested. ( )
  BEGivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this one. It was lighter fare but not fluffy. It's a story of a dysfunctional family and none of them are perfect, no matter what they would have you believe. Despite how miserable some of the characters were I found myself liking them and hoping they would get their lives together. I enjoyed the little amounts of snark that they projected without going over the top. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
I hated this book. I did not like one person in this book. Everyone needed a "life". I am not sure why I continued reading - crazy. ( )
  shazjhb | Feb 10, 2018 |
Stopped at page 96.
  bogopea | Jan 4, 2018 |
When the half sister of Alice and Paul announces her wedding in England, they are furious. How dare she involve them in her potential yet superior happiness? The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder unpacks a dysfunctional family going through a wedding of one of their own. As everything seems to fall to pieces around them, Alice, Paul and Eloise have to work together. Through the fights, misunderstandings and general unpleasantness this book is delightful look at the core of what a family is, even when that is not pretty.

Read my Review at - https://bythecoverreview.com/2017/08/04/the-people-we-hate-at-the-wedding/ ( )
  bythecoverreview | Sep 26, 2017 |

"Relationships are awful. They'll kill you, right up to the point where they start saving your life. Paul and Alice's half-sister Eloise is getting married! In London! There will be fancy hotels, dinners at "it" restaurants and a reception at a country estate complete with tea lights and embroidered cloth napkins. They couldn't hate it more. The People We Hate at the Wedding is the story of a less than perfect family. Donna, the clan's mother, is now a widow living in the Chicago suburbs with a penchant for the occasional joint and more than one glass of wine with her best friend while watching House Hunters International. Alice is in her thirties, single, smart, beautiful, stuck in a dead-end job where she is mired in a rather predictable, though enjoyable, affair with her married boss. Her brother Paul lives in Philadelphia with his older, handsomer, tenured track professor boyfriend who's recently been saying things like "monogamy is an oppressive heteronormative construct," while eyeing undergrads. And then there's Eloise. Perfect, gorgeous, cultured Eloise. The product of Donna's first marriage to a dashing Frenchman, Eloise has spent her school years at the best private boarding schools, her winter holidays in St. John and a post-college life cushioned by a fat, endless trust fund. To top it off, she's infuriatingly kind and decent. As this estranged clan gathers together, and Eloise's walk down the aisle approaches, Grant Ginder brings to vivid, hilarious life the power of family, and the complicated ways we hate the ones we love the most in the most bitingly funny, slyly witty and surprisingly tender novel you'll read this year"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,101,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible