Mission to Moulokin by Alan Dean Foster

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Wordpress, Blogspot, Booklikes & Librarything by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: Mission to Moulokin

Series: Icerigger #2

Author: Alan Dean Foster

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Genre: SFF

Pages: 280

Format: Kindle digital edition

Project Reread:

I am attempting to reread 10+ books in 2016 that I have rated highly in the past. I am not attempting to second guess or denigrate my younger self in any way but am wanting to compare how my tastes have changed and possibly matured. I am certainly much more widely read now [both in the good and bad quality sadly] than then.
I will hopefully be going into the reasons for any differences of opinions between then and now. If there is no difference of opinion, then it was a hellfire'd fine book!
Links may link to either Wordpress, Booklikes or Blogspot, depending on when the original review was.

Synopsis: Spoilers

Having survived Tran-ky-ky for a year, Ethan Fortune isn't that keen on going right back to his planet to planet sales job. He does refuse Collette DuKane's proposal of marriage but more because he realizes that he'll resent her power and constant on-the-go lifestyle than because she is fat.

This book is about Ethan, September, Milliken, Hunnar and the Slanderscree trying to put together a Trannish coalition so that Tran-Ky-Ky can be given membership into the Commonwealth. Unfortunately for them, greedy humans, self-serving tran and one particularly insane tran, stand in their way.

On their journey, they discover information that makes it imperative that Tran-Ky-Ky joins the commonwealth, for the good of all Tran the world over.

My Thoughts:

Well, this held up to my previous reading
[11 Year Old Review]
and stayed at 4 stars. I used the link to my review at Booklikes because my original review on blogspot, which has been transferred to wordpress, was a Year by Month list. I wasn't keeping track online yet and was just using a paper notebook. Once I started online, I had to copy out everything since 2000 and it was easier to do a year at a time instead of each individual book. Just goes to show how my reviewing style has changed and grown over the years:
Original Review Post

This was much weaker than Icerigger both in terms of adventure and interesting characters. The already existing characters are pretty static and the new characters who show up are there to either cause problems, be killed off or act as allies, nothing more, nothing less.

On the adventure side of things, it just didn't grab me the same way. There is a battle at Moulokin that wasn't nearly as good as the battle between the Horde and the Settlement in Icerigger and the Slanderscree's overland journey didn't nearly match up to the journey to Brassmonkey from the previous book. There is still a lot of action, it just wasn't as good. I can't pin it down any further than that, sadly.

Overall, while I enjoyed this read and am glad I made it part of my Project Reread, I don't think I'll be reading it again. It is time to let this sit and relax with all the other books I've read.

ETA for Librarything:
Apparently, links don't carry over. Or any html formatting of any kind. That is kind of annoying to be honest. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 17, 2016 |
the further adventures of Ethan Fortune on Trankyky. Trying to organize the Tran into one govt so as to get them membership into the galactic govt. Greedy humans and Trans stand in the way. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
ICERIGGER
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Quite fun,fast paced sequel. The only thing with these books I've noticed is that the theme of the book doesn't come into play till you're near the end of the book, in this case the city of Moulokin. ( )
  sf_addict | Jan 24, 2010 |
A continuation of the series that started with Icerigger. A good book, but not quite as good as the first. The humans haven't yet managed to leave Moulokin, and instead end up staying to assist the Tran, at least the ones they are friends with now. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 17, 2009 |

Alan Dean Fosterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, David K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mike and Helen Green, beloved Uncle and Aunt always, and damn the indifferent genetics of it all ...
It all began with a bungled kidnapping.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,251,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible