What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky…

What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky

by Lesley Nneka Arimah

Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke (Anonymous user)
    Difficult Women by Roxane Gay (Anonymous user)

A splendid collection of short stories, each one a well-polished gem. Powerful, often heartbreaking, sometimes funny, always engrossing. Arimah writes clean, carefully crafted sentences with no wasted words to distract from the images and emotions they convey. After finishing the book, I reread most of the stories--the clearest recommendation I can give. ( )
1 vote cmt100 | Aug 4, 2018 |
This is a terrific debut—inventive and varied in form but still cohesive, no doubt because Arimah's voice is really strong, but without the stories sounding at all alike. These are all dark but they're not ponderous, and she brings out elements of magic, myth, and sf in really inventive ways that won't make non-fans of those genres wince. I didn't, anyway, though I'm not quite a non-fan—but I am an easy wincer, and I thought Arimah pulled off the variety in this collection admirably. I'll definitely pick up whatever she comes out with next. ( )
2 vote lisapeet | Jan 19, 2018 |
Another terrific collection of stories. The young talent out there these days, is truly mind-boggling. The author is also fearless, as she experiments with historical fiction, magical realism, dystopia and plain old, grim reality. Many of the stories are based in Nigeria or have Nigerian characters. She also handles personal relationships quite deftly and poignantly. Arimah is an author to keep a very close eye on. ( )
1 vote msf59 | Jan 15, 2018 |
The first story in this book took my breath away like a sucker punch. A couple I related to all too well. From science fiction to folklore this collection was a bittersweet read. ( )
  0lddiva | Jan 9, 2018 |
Another bookstagrammer, @bookisshhh, and I read this book of short stories together and shared our thoughts about the collection on her Instagram page. I am glad we chose to read it as our shared read because I would not have chosen it on my own. What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky is Lesley Nneka Arimah’s debut collection and contains a varied mix of stories that generally succeed splendidly and occasionally fall short. The title story is by far the outstanding tale in the collection; I enjoyed it so much that as soon as I finished it I started it over again. “Wild” is the other story that stood out to me and has stayed with me long after I finished the book. This cautionary tale proves that what people want the world to believe is often drastically different than what is actually occurring in their lives. While I enjoyed most of the stories, two of them were slow enough that I ended up not finishing them.

If you are on Instagram check out the fabulous post that @bookisshhh created to share our joint thoughts on the collection. I definitely recommend this book for those who enjoy short stories and uniquely told tales. ( )
  cburnett5 | Oct 21, 2017 |
One of the pleasures of reading Lesley Nneka Arimah’s debut collection is the feeling of being thrown off balance: not knowing where this playful and adventurous new talent will take you next. The 12 stories that make up What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky are set in Nigeria and the US, sometimes moving between the two (the author was born in the UK, has lived in Nigeria and is now based in the States). Arimah’s focus is on the lives of girls and women, and while her perspective is often bleak, the collection is bracing and varied.

Lesley Nneka Arimahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father. Thank you for telling me your stories.

In “Who Will Greet You at Home,” a National Magazine Award finalist for The New Yorker, A woman desperate for a child weaves one out of hair, with unsettling results. In “Wild,” a disastrous night out shifts a teenager and her Nigerian cousin onto uneasy common ground. In "The Future Looks Good," three generations of women are haunted by the ghosts of war, while in "Light," a father struggles to protect and empower the daughter he loves. And in the title story, in a world ravaged by flood and riven by class, experts have discovered how to "fix the equation of a person" - with rippling, unforeseen repercussions.

Evocative, playful, subversive, and incredibly human, What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky heralds the arrival of a prodigious talent with a remarkable career ahead of her.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 07 Jan 2017 19:53:06 -0500)

"A dazzlingly accomplished debut collection explores the ties that bind parents and children, husbands and wives, lovers and friends to one another and to the places they call home. In "Who Will Greet You at Home," a National Magazine Award finalist for The New Yorker, A woman desperate for a child weaves one out of hair, with unsettling results. In "Wild," a disastrous night out shifts a teenager and her Nigerian cousin onto uneasy common ground. In "The Future Looks Good," three generations of women are haunted by the ghosts of war, while in "Light," a father struggles to protect and empower the daughter he loves. And in the title story, in a world ravaged by flood and riven by class, experts have discovered how to "fix the equation of a person" - with rippling, unforeseen repercussions. Evocative, playful, subversive, and incredibly human, What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky heralds the arrival of a prodigious talent with a remarkable career ahead of her"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible