WHEREAS: Poems by Layli Long Soldier

WHEREAS: Poems (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Layli Long Soldier (Author)

Member:HartHouseLibrary
Title:WHEREAS: Poems
Authors:Layli Long Soldier (Author)
Info:Graywolf Press (2017), 114 pages
Collections:ART (Art and Architecture), Your library
Tags:poetry

WHEREAS: Poems by Layli Long Soldier (2017)

Recently added byprivate library, elle_em, jalbacutler, emaestra, JBalingit, buffygurl, reina-worm, CNAIS, tstan

This book of poems knocked me off my feet, particularly the long title poem, which was written in response to a muted congressional apology for US treatment of Native peoples. ( )
1 vote jalbacutler | Apr 2, 2019 |
The first section of the collection plays with language and form. The second section is more grounded and is a response to the formal apology given by congress to the native peoples in 2009. Here again the author plays with language to demonstrate the emptiness of the apology. These poems are complex and working at a different level than many others I’ve read. A great, important collection. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
A slim volume, dense in meaning if not words. A farrago of personal narrative and national policy and history, of cultural trends and identity. Soldier interrogates language, both stated and implicit statements, arguing much cultural work is done with language. The emotional heft of her argument is felt indirectly: a nod to history here, sardonic lack of comment there.

Upon first reading, I'm left with a strong impression from individual passages even as I sense I've missed an important sense of the whole. This is a pattern for me, reading verse. I shall have to re-read for a better grasp of how the individual poems fit together, build up something other than themselves. ( )
1 vote elenchus | Sep 6, 2018 |
This was a gorgeous collection, both the poems in front but especially the "Whereas" portion. Long Soldier's poetry is biting and funny and wrenching and so thought-provoking. There were so many great lines that were moving, and the style seemed constantly in motion, always shifting, never settling, which made for a really refreshing reading experience. Highlights for me included "38" (though it feels so wrong to name that as a "favorite," I just want everyone I know to read it,) the "Diction" series, and so many of the "Whereas" poems. Cannot encourage folks to read this enough, it's really beautiful. ( )
  aijmiller | Apr 11, 2018 |
I’m not much of a poetry person so it’s difficult to talk about this book. There is so much to learn, understand and feel in her words. Excellent.

Page 72, I think is what I relate to most. ( )
  Jolynne | Apr 6, 2018 |
No word has any special hierarchy over any other. -- Arthur Sze
This book is dedicated to my mother, Loevia Hockley, and my father, Daniel Long Soldier. And with great tenderness, to my daughter, Chance Ohitika Alexie White.

This volume confronts the coercive language of the United States government in its responses, treaties, and apologies to Native American peoples and tribes, and reflects that language in its officiousness and duplicity back on its perpetrators. Through an array of short lyrics, prose poems, longer narrative sequences, resolutions, and disclaimers, Layli Long Soldier has created an innovative text to examine histories, landscapes, her own writing, and her predicament inside national affiliations. "I am," she writes, "a citizen of the United States and an enrolled member of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, meaning I am a citizen of the Oglala Lakota Nation -- and in this dual citizenship I must work, I must eat, I must art, I must mother, I must friend, I must listen, I must observe, constantly I must live."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,080,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible