N-Space by Larry Niven

A sample book of Niven's works. Contains short stories, exerpts from books, and my personal favorite, an essay called "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex." Great stuff. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
There's a good variety in this collection of Niven short stories, excerpts and articles. The articles are the most interesting parts, surprisingly. Niven is an excellent non-fiction writer and The Aliens in Our Minds is a must read. But I still feel like something is missing when I read Niven's fiction. ( )
  Radaghast | Nov 11, 2009 |
(Amy) So, I had a jones for some Niven, but was not in a novel mood (this whole array of books I'm reviewing now were all selected during the "all work and no sleep makes Amy a crazy girl" phase of the quarter). So, I picked this up, which I have read before, long enough ago that I had forgotten I'd done it. It was still enjoyable, though. I do like to read collections wherein an author is all conversational about Stuff related or somewhat-related to the works in question. It's like half of the fun of the active form of fandom without the traveling or introverted-person-in-crowd panic attacks of cons. Also, rather less necessary in this age of author blogs and the new Tor site and so on, but still fun.

...I don't actually think I have anything else to say about this book, except perhaps that it serves as a nice snapshot of Niven's style, and also perhaps a bit of his personality, though having not met him I don't know if it's the real him or an additional fictional character that was writing the introductions to these stories and excerpts. In any case, recommended.
( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/zenos-library/2008/08/n-space_larry_niven.htm... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Sep 18, 2008 |
Anyone who likes Larry Niven's work at all should be happy with this book.

From Tom Clancy's introduction, along with others by co-authors and editors, through all the stories - and this basically includes his best work of all (Inconstant Moon and All the Myriad Ways), along with some other good stories. In fact, even with the excerpt scores averaging almost 3.50.

Even the excerpts are well done, the fun scene from Ringworld a good choice, for example.

Throughout, Niven offers commentary, and non-fiction pieces include an extensive look at how they put together the setting for The Mote In God's Eye, and also a piece outlining plans to write something that would satirise Known Space as all a hoax.

Then at the end a few thoughts and an advice paper apparently that he and some other writers, including Pournell did for some political body or other.

I'd probably call this a 4.25 I think.

N-Space : excerpt from World of Ptavvs - Larry Niven
N-Space : Passerby - Larry Niven
N-Space : excerpt from Ringworld - Larry Niven
N-Space : The Fourth Profession - Larry Niven
N-Space : Inconstant Moon [short story] - Larry Niven
N-Space : What Can You Say about Chocolate Covered Manhole Covers? - Larry Niven
N-Space : Cloak of Anarchy - Larry Niven
N-Space : Madness Has Its Place - Larry Niven
N-Space : The Kiteman - Larry Niven

She blows on Pluto.

3 out of 5

Overcee project farm people find.

3 out of 5

Demon summoming time limit Atom solution.

Murder maybe multiverse.

4.5 out of 5

Slowboat reservation.

Vaguely lost.

PI no Martian Manhunter.

3.5 out of 5

A specially adapted ramscoop ship pilot gets in trouble in space, when he sees a large golden alien humanoid. He finds himself rescued and transported 12 light years instantaneously back to Earth.

3.5 out of 5

Various biffo, with or without laser beams.

3.5 out of 5

Alien alcohol test case quad pill investigation.

3.5 out of 5

Really lunary weather we're having.

4.5 out of 5

Strange party alien trip.

3 out of 5

Free Park experiment not bright.

4 out of 5

Three stage dude adjustment.

3 out of 5

Quantum black hole is ridiculous overkill.

3.5 out of 5

Offworld mercenary Cabell nightwalker Spectrum Cure.

4 out of 5

Fuxed up entertainment production mission.

3.5 out of 5

Monkey kid evolutionary peak.

4 out of 5

Abandon ship, the little bastards have weapons.

3.5 out of 5

Hey! That looks different.

3.5 out of 5

Sauron attacks Dagon City. Who'd like to see that?

Heinlein time alteration.

Harem sneaky story.

ARM to schizo arm.

Flying lessons.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2008/03/n-space-larry-niven.html ( )
  bluetyson | Mar 1, 2008 |
A collection of some of Larry Niven's finest stories. It is hard to rate an anthology as some of the stories are not up to the standards of others. Overall, the outstanding stories make up fo rthe weak ones. Well worth while addition to the si-fi bookshelf of any sci-fi reader. ( )
  PghDragonMan | Dec 20, 2007 |

Larry Nivenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clancy, TomIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812510011, Mass Market Paperback)

On an L.A. talk show Arthur C. Clarke was once asked to name his favorite writer. His answer was "Larry Niven." Countless others agree. The Baltimore Sun and Kirkus Reviews have both dubbed Niven "the premier writer of hard SF," and Gregory Benford has hailed him as "the paradigm of SF personality of the last several decade."

Now Larry Niven presents us with his undisputed masterwork. N-Space contains, very simply, the best SF of his career--marvelous fiction, a wealth of anecdotes and gossip, plus Niven's own special brand of wit and excitement.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:08 -0400)

A collection of short stories, essays, and novellas along with the author's remarks, comments, and afterthoughts about each piece.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible