The Collaborator of Bethlehem / The…

The Collaborator of Bethlehem / The Bethlehem Murders

by Matt Rees

English (20)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
Rees has created a story with a superb sense of time and place, and he does so by showing the humanity of all sides. The monsters aren't all Palestinian. Or Israeli. The mistakes being made aren't all being made by Palestinians or Israelis. And there are good people on every side. This is a story to experience. A story for the mind and for the emotions.

One of the good people is Omar Yussef, who feels that he may be coming to the end of his usefulness. He can't seem to stop being angry at the children in his class who do nothing but spout political clichés, but when he tries to destroy their hate and their blindness, all he seems to do is make himself angrier and the children distrustful of him.

The plight of George Saba is a godsend for this man. Yussef has a deep-seated need to fight injustice. For years he's been buffeted by the winds of political and religious unrest, but he is still willing to stand up for what he believes in. The power of Rees's writing is that while the reader is cheering Yussef for his bravery, he is also afraid because of what may happen to this one solitary man.

Yussef isn't Mr. Perfect. He may endear himself to us by telling us of the power of his wife's cooking or of what he believes to be the most important thing about teaching. He may enlighten us about the proliferation of murals depicting the Alps inside Bethlehem's homes, but the years have soured him a bit. He's not always right about the people he comes in contact with every day. Readers have to keep an eye on Yussef as they follow his investigation.

Omar Yussef is told early on in The Collaborator of Bethlehem that "In Palestine, there's no such thing as a good detective." Yussef still has much to learn, but I think it's safe to say that Palestine now has that badly needed investigator. ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 8, 2015 |
A must-read to understand the on-the-ground reality of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict which talks about the day to day reality of people's lives.
As an experienced reporter in the region, Rees should know. He manages to be sympathetic and generous to Arab society and its many attractive features and strengths - hospitality, loyalty, family, tradition, respect for the old and good manners – whilst still being severely critical of its faults.
His protagonist, Omar Yussef, is almost an anti-hero: a creaky ex-alcoholic schoolteacher with painful joints and faltering moral courage. Forced to investigate a strange murder, Yussef discovers there's disturbing things going on amidst his fellow Palestinians as they target a traditional Christian family for daring to stand up for truth. Yussef, himself a Muslim, finds that hate and money are powerful bedfellows, no matter what place you are born, or what you believe.
To be honest, I've always found the Middle East a bit confusing and I haven't paid an enormous amount of attention; but after reading ‘The Bethlehem Murders’ the place is more real to me.
I’ll definitely be tracking down later books featuring Yussef. ( )
  Jawin | Jun 24, 2015 |
"The Collaborator of Bethlehem" presents us with an unlikely detective, Omar Yussef. Actually, he's not a detective at all, but a grandfather and a schoolteacher in a UN school in the Palestinian territories. He can be short-tempered and impulsive in the conclusions he draws. He can be cranky, and those he is beloved by some, is considered with suspicion and contempt by others.

Setting a mystery in the complex political context of Palestine adds a lot of flavor to the story. I have spent time myself in the so-called "Christian Triangle" where this novel is set (comprised of the three municipalities of Bethlehem, Beit Jala, and Beit Sahour), and I could envision all the scenes of the story. All seemed quite plausible and real.

One reservation: I suppose it's difficult to enter any discussion of the Palestinian situation without entering into some kind of political debate--even if what we're talking about is only a murder mystery. But in Matt Rees' allusions to the status of Palestinian Christians, he seems to leave the impression that the decimation of the Christian population in the Holy Land is largely due to hostile Christian-Muslim relations. Unquestionably, those relations have deteriorated over the years. But in my time in Bethlehem and environs, all my interactions were with Christians, and to a person they all told me that the prime reason for the Christian exodus from their ancient homeland was the difficulties posed by the Israeli occupation. Indeed, they perceived many of the tensions that existed between Christians and Muslims were stoked by Israelis, who saw the advantages in dividing the Palestinian community.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the book and was eager to follow its twists. It conveyed the truth that living in the Occupied Territories today, it is hard to know from day to day whom to trust or believe. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
This book by Rees was excellent and more than just a mystery. Yes, there is a murder and a man is wrongly accused, but the real story is about the Palestinians of the West Bank, their ties to their lost homes, the young militants, the thugs who are looking for power any way they can get it, and the relationships, tribal and otherwise, between the various factions.

Omar Yussef is a middle-aged school teacher at a UN school for refugee children. When a close friend and former pupil is accused of collaborating with the Israelis and arrested he sets out to discover what really happened. This brings him into conflict with a particularly violent group of militants who have been terrorizing the residents of Bethlehem. Though friends and family tell him to desist for his own safety, Yussef can't do that and live with himself so his investigation continues leading him to an unexpected result.

Recommended, especially since the author uses his knowledge of the West Bank from his years as a journalist there to make one see the place and the people of his story. Luckily there are more books from Rees about Omar Yussef which I will try to read before too long.
  hailelib | Feb 12, 2014 |
Not being a mystery reader, I am reviewing this as the literary novel it might have been. This had the bones of a well-written book, but not the flesh and blood. It needed a solid rewrite to upgrade the internal monologue, which read like plot notes for a character study, and to fix the dialogue, which read like internal monologue. This book contained some truly beautiful sentences, but their appearances were so rare as to make the rest of the book even more disappointing. The author clearly has the talent to be great, if he could just work on the editing and rewriting process. I am curious to see whether his later books are an improvement. ( )
  read.to.live | Aug 9, 2013 |
The Collaborator of Bethlehem is the U.S. title; it was published in the U.K. as The Bethlehem Murders.

The murder of a leader of the Palestinian Martyrs Brigade leads to the arrest of George Saba, a Palestinian Christian accused of collaborating with the Israelis. Omar Yussef, a modest history teacher at a United Nations school in the West Bank, is impelled to investigate the murder to exonerate his former pupil, who he knows is innocent. As he struggles to save George, Omar Yussef is drawn into a complex plot where it is impossible to tell friend from enemy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0400)

The Collaborator of Bethlehem is the riveting first novel in a new mystery series set in the heart of the Middle East. The murder of a leader of the Palestinian Martyrs Brigade leads to the arrest of George Saba, a Palestinian Christian accused of collaborating with the Israelis. Omar Yussef, a modest history teacher at a United Nations school in the West Bank, is impelled to investigate the murder to exonerate his former pupil, whom he knows is innocent. As he struggles to save his friend, Omar Yussef is drawn into a tangled plot where it is impossible to tell friend from enemy. Matt Beynon Rees has written a richly detailed, absorbing mystery that illuminates the Palestinian conflict and its political complexities from within.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,773,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible