Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Relentless by Simon Kernick

Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 4

Review:

"Relentless" by Simon Kernick was some suspenseful, thriller- mystery crime read that kept me reading until the end once starting this read. This is a fast paced read that starts after a phone call and this read starts you in on a roller coaster ride. You will find this plot is very interesting in this well written script. I did have a few question that were not answered for me...but may be they will be a sequel? OK, this is how this starts out..."John Meron is at home with his two kids when he receives a call from his old college friend Jack, whom he hasn't seen in years. Jack is screaming for help and as John listens on in horror,he hears him being murdered in the phone. And he also screamed out one more thing - John's name and address..... he runs...and this story takes off...questions?...Who is after him John and what has happen to Jack? Why did John not call the police? Now you will find that this story alternates narratives between John and the Detective Inspector Mike Bolt. This is where I will say you will need to pick up this good read to find out what all is going on in all the twist and turns that will be presented in this 'seemingly unending conspiracy.' Be prepared to see lots of "shifting of loyalties and many hidden secrets that come out as this story gets deeper and deeper into the conspiracy" keeping your interest high in the read. The characters were all OK...nothing special about any of them from Tom,Kathy,Vanessa Blake, Jack, Mike(maybe some her), Tina Boyd and a few others that were there however, this author was still able to put together a fast moving good read and when it was all said and done...I felt like this was a good suspenseful, thriller-mystery crime novel that I would recommend to you. ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 20, 2013 |
The hum-drum suburban life of software salesman Tom Meron is thrown into chaos one afternoon when an old friend rings him moments before dying horribly at the hands of unknown assailants. Within the next couple of hours Tom is accused of murder, his wife seems to be missing, he goes on the run from Police and has an alarming altercation with some very (very) bad guys. And then things get really dangerous.

It's a fairly standard 'average guy's life goes to hell in a hand-basket' kind of thriller. The pace is speedy, swapping often between points of view to help create the impression there are lots of things happening at once and cramming lots of action into a short time span. Personally I find fight scenes and car chases a bit tedious in the written word and there quite a few of these but I skimmed over them without seeming to lose the gist of the story. The plot was pretty well constructed and logical although it did have some threads that seemed to be thrown in for shock value rather than adding much to the overall story.

For me to get truly swept along for the ride that thrillers want to take you on there has to be an interesting character or two. I don't mind if it's good guys or villains but I have to want to find out what happens to someone no matter how ludicrous it turns out to be. Without this element I tend to pick fault with what would otherwise be forgivable plot discrepancies and the incredible happenings that are de rigeur for the genre. The largely under developed characters in Relentless did not offer me anyone to care about. All of them, heroes and bad guys alike, said and did things I didn't find natural within the circumstances of the story and the narrative often seemed at odds with their actions. Tom and Kathy were said more than once to be devoted parents but both of them managed to curl of for a good night's kip without once mentioning their children or, more realistically, trying to check up on them. People had just tried to torture, stab, shoot and blow he and his wife up but Tom assumes that the same bad guys wouldn't be able to unearth his children in a matter of moments. The villains in the story were more stereotype than individual character to me and now, only a few hours after finishing the book, I can't remember the main bad guy's name.

Thrillers should be gripping yarns full of larger-than-life characters regardless of the subject matter (heck Michael Crichton managed to make the building of aeroplanes and edge-of-your-seat ride in Airframe) but this one missed the mark for me. The characters and setting were all a bit too generic for me to get caught up in it at all.

bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
A really fast moving fabulous read. I just could not put the book down. ( )
  imyknott | Nov 8, 2012 |
I have a fondness for British crime authors - and Simon Kernick is one of them. He's perhaps not as well known as some of his counterparts in North America, but is worth checking out.

Relentless starts off with one of my favourite hooks - an everyday guy thrown into an unbelievable situation.

John Meron is at home with his two kids when he receives a call from his old college friend Jack, whom he hasn't seen in years. Jack is screaming for help and as John listens on in horror, he hears him being murdered in the phone. And he also screamed out one more thing - John's name and address.....

His intuition says run and John does. He grabs his kids and is driving away when he sees a black car stop at his house ....Why in the world are they after him? Why did Jack give his address? What happened to Jack?

"I saw from the clock on the whitewashed wall that it was five o'clock in the afternoon. In the space of two hours, my life - so ordinary, so mundane, so desperately missed - had been torn irreparably apart. Two hours earlier, I'd been a normal working man living a pleasant, easy life. Now...there were people after me for a reason I had no knowledge of.....What I didn't know was that this was only the beginning. Things, if you can believe it were about to get one hell of a lot worse."

The story then alternates narratives between John and the cop on the case - Detective Inspector Mike Bolt from the National Crime Squad. Bolt has faced his own demons in the past and is forced to make some tough decisions on this case.

Relentless has the feel of an action movie with loads of twists and turns that keep us on our toes throughout. The story is pure action with little character development. I did find the ending a bit of a disappointment, but the window is open for a continuation with these characters. Relentless was not the best of Kernick's books for me, but definitely provided some great entertainment reading. Fans of Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay would enjoy this author. To quote Coben "“Simon Kernick writes with his foot pressed hard on the pedal. Hang on tight!” ( )
  Twink | Oct 8, 2012 |
From the moment I started reading I was gripped by the pace and the story. A little bloodthirsty in parts but all well fitted with the story. Detective Bolt was a likeable character and the story believable. I'm sure this wont be the last Kernick book I will read. ( )
  tulstig | May 6, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0552153125, Mass Market Paperback)

There is only one truth left in your world. They want you. And they want you dead — the new stand-alone thriller by crime-writing’s rising star.

John Meron, a happily married father of two, who’s never been in trouble, receives a phone call that will change his life forever. His friend, Jack Calley, a high-flying city lawyer, is screaming down the phone for help. As Meron listens, Calley is murdered. His last words, spoken to his killer, are the first two lines of Meron’s address.

Confused and terrified, Meron scoops up his children and hurries out of the house. Just in time. Within minutes a car pulls up outside and three men get out. It’s clear that they’re coming for him. He’s being hunted and he has no idea why. And with his wife missing, an unidentified corpse in her office, and the police after him for murder, his life’s about to get one hell of a lot worse.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:06 -0400)

"Tom Meron, a happily married father of two who's never been in trouble, receives a phone call that will change his life for ever: his friend Jack Calley, a high-flying City lawyer, is screaming down the phone for help. As Meron listens, Calley is murdered. His last words, spoken to his killer, are the first two lines of Meron's address. Confused and terrified, Meron scoops up his children and hurries out of the house. Whithin minutes a car pulls up outside, and three men get out. It's clear that they're coming for him. He's being hunted and has no idea why. And with his wife missing, an undentified corpse in her office, and the police after him for murder, Meron's life's about to get one hell of a lot worse."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,741,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible