Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Nice Work by David Lodge

Nice Work (1988)

by David Lodge

Series: Rummidge (3)

1,548147,249 (3.84)1 / 51

English (10)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Rating: one disgusted star of five

The Publisher Says: Vic Wilcox, a self-made man and managing director of an engineering firm. has little regard for academics, and even less for feminists. So when Robyn Penrose, a trendy leftist teacher, is assigned to "shadow" Vic under a goverment program created to foster mutual understanding between town and gown, the hilarious collusion of lifestyles and ideologies that ensues seems unlikely to foster anything besides mutual antipathy. But in the course of a bumpy year, both parties make some surprising discoveries about each other's worlds--and about themselves.

My Review: Annoying git meets termagant. They hate each other, they...oh what's the difference, everyone knows what happens, and frankly who the hell cares? I detested this book, I thought the author's pseudo-arch (how's that for a horrid combination?) faux Firbank twaddle was the literary equivalent of thorazine.

Do not purchase. If given as a gift, get the fireplace tongs and remove it from your living environment. DO NOT BURN as the miasma could prove lethal to small children.

Not recommended.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. ( )
1 vote richardderus | Apr 14, 2014 |
Somewhat closed-in in the world of academia vs. industry, the book still manages to both entertain and ask a few questions. The overall point, if there was one to be made, escaped me, but I have still enjoyed the read. ( )
  flydodofly | Nov 17, 2013 |
A modernization of Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South, with a friendship and romance between an English Literature / Women's Studies university lecturer and the managing director of a factory. Clever, funny, and truly thought-provoking about the way the other half lives and thinks. It honestly made me question several preconceptions to determine why I believe what I do.

I was madly in love with this book until about 3/4s of the way through, when I thought things got a little soap opera-ish, and weren't resolved as tidily as I wanted. Still, my second Lodge book, and I can't wait to read more. So well-written I'm jealous, and such big issues handled in such a clever, deft way. ( )
1 vote annemlanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Qu'y-a-t-il de commun entre Vic Wilcox, directeur général de Pringle and Sons, une entreprise de métallurgie anglaise en pleine restructuration et Robyn Penrose, une jeune universitaire spécialiste des jeux de déconstruction littéraire et plus particulièrement de l'étude sémiologique des ' romans industriels ' victoriens ? Pas grand-chose en apparence. Mais tout est remis en jeu lorsque Robyn Penrose doit suivre un stage chez Pringle and Sons et devenir ' l'ombre ' de son directeur dans le cadre de ' l'Année de l'Industrie '. Cette confrontation brutale - et cocasse - est un peu celle de la thèse et de l'antithèse, au coeur de Rummidge, cette variante fictive de Birmingham.
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
A good (British) read about two poles-apart people, an academic and an industrialist, whose extended forced interaction gradually changes them both. Set in "Rummidge," which fictionally occupies "the space where Birmingham is to be found on maps of the so-called real world" (Author's Note).
  fpagan | Jan 28, 2010 |

David Lodgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salminen, EilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon the midlands now the industrious must doth fall, / The shires which we the heart of England well may call. -DRAYTON: Poly-Olbion (Epigraph to Felix Holt the Radical, by George Eliot)

'Two nations; between whom there is no intercourse and no sympathy; who are as ignorant of each other's habits, thoughts and feelings, as if they were dwellers in different zones, or inhabitants of different planets; who are formed by a different breeding, and fed by different food, and ordered by different manners...' 'You speak of--' said Egremont hesitatingly. -Benjamin Disraeli: Sybil; or, the Two Nations
To Andy and Marie, in friendship and gratitude
Monday, January 13th, 1986. Victor Wilcox lies awake, in the dark bedroom, waiting for his quartz alarm clock to bleep.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,477,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible