Death by His Grace (A Darko Dawson Mystery)…

Death by His Grace (A Darko Dawson Mystery)

by Kwei Quartey

In Accra, Ghana, there is a brutal murder of a woman for cultural reasons. Inspector Darko Dawson's life goes through extreme stress as he works to find the killer along with his new partner, Mabel Safo. Since this mystery in the Darko Dawson mystery series involves a high amount of Charismatic religion, it is not problematic to write that Inspector Dawson's family along with himself are fighting with temptations and trials and definitely need support from the rest of the family.

I felt surprised that Darko Dawson is allowed to remain on the case. The case is so brutal it causes Christine to lose her balance and serenity. Sadly, she has lost not only a cousin but her best friend. During this time, there is an obedience problem with Sly, their son. Inspector Darko must handle it immediately before it gets out of hand.

In this novel "Death By His Grace," by Kwei Quartey, there is the chance to explore Darko Dawson's feelings about every day life. His ideas about religion and the leaders, his ideas about Cannabis and his feelings about an older parent who has become a child again. Lastly, his role as a brother to Cairo, a quadriplegic.

It is a mystery deeply involving an African family. It is about Mental Illness, religious doctrines like speaking in Tongues, Demonology and how to handle infertility when two people desire a baby. Also, there is the chance to experience how far the human mind can fall as it ages. Jacob, the father, can not remember his son's name or their relationship. He asks for his wife who disappeared years and years ago as if she should walk in the door at any minute. He gets lost and becomes disheveled along the way.

This mystery will also take you deeper into the culture of Africa. There are the foods, the people and language named Ga and the ideas of witchcraft. It is thought provoking. I did feel happy to have read earlier novels. I now feel personally involved with Christine, Hosiah, Sly and the in laws. I hope to learn more about Mabel Sabo in the next mystery. I also hope Inspector Dawson continues to reveal more about himself, his likes and dislikes, as he travels around on his bike. ( )
  Tea58 | Sep 28, 2017 |
If you are an armchair traveling sleuth who loves to solve mysteries set in other countries, I recommend Kwei Quartey's Darko Dawson series. Quartey sets you down firmly on Ghanian soil and lets you immerse yourself in the land, the culture, and the food of this amazing country. The author also gives you characters with very real lives. Dawson's father has Alzheimer's and must be cared for. Dawson and his wife Christine are also dealing with a son who likes to hang out with gang members. Add a wheelchair-bound brother, a busybody mother-in-law, and the fact that Christine is a woman who speaks her mind, and it's easy to see that family life can be a bit challenging for a man who throws himself into each of his investigations.

Quartey has created a strong mystery with excellent misdirection, but he does leave some loose ends, like Dawson's new (female) partner whom I'd certainly love to know more about or the things his father began to tell him about his mother which Darko had never heard before. Is the author planting seeds for his next book? I hope so-- especially because Death by His Grace has an abrupt jaw-dropper of a cliffhanger that many readers probably aren't going to like. What did I think? I was shocked but liked the author's bravery in doing what he did. After all, this is a police procedural, not a cozy mystery. Readers should expect to be rattled from time to time. Now that I have been well and truly rattled, I can't wait to get my hands on the next Darko Dawson mystery! ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 28, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible