Noble House by James Clavell

Noble House (1981)

by James Clavell

Series: The Asian Saga (4)

2,167222,998 (4)44
Recently added bymsjudy, fredscout, M.Bird, Kindnist85, NAVOSlibrary, birgitholme, seite
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    Tai-Pan by James Clavell (Crozier)
    Gai-Jin by James Clavell (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Written after Noble House but taking place before, describes the origin of "Hag" Struan and ties in the Shogun storyline; best read first, if it's not too late!
    Thistle & The Jade, The: A Celebration of 175 Years of Jardine, Matheson & Co. by Maggie Keswick (Crozier)
    The Baron and the Chinese Puzzle by Anthony Morton (benfulton)
    benfulton: The two books share interesting insights on Hong Kong politics.
    Jardine Matheson: Traders of the Far East by Robert Blake (Crozier)

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
Clavell is a master of this genre that hooks you in the first few pages and keeps you reading his massive tomes. Mostly a soap opera, it nevertheless gives one an intimate glimpse into an era long gone. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
good @ Tai-Pan of Hong Kong - Linc + Casey - spies

The setting is Hong Kong, 1963. The action spans scarcely more than a week, but these are days of high adventure: from kidnapping and murder to financial double-dealing and natural catastrophes–fire, flood, landslide. Yet they are days filled as well with all the mystery and romance of Hong Kong–the heart of Asia–rich in every trade…money, flesh, opium, power.
  christinejoseph | Sep 11, 2015 |
matt liked it, but doesn't want to keep it since he doesn't think he will ever revisit it. 4th in a series that we don't have the rest of.
  SLHobbs | Sep 3, 2015 |
If you wanted to write a book that would make me never, ever want to visit Hong Kong or China, this was it. If you wanted to write a book that would make me want to crush the male chauvinist testicles of the main character (and presumably the author), this would also be it. I loved Shogun -- this is not Shogun in any way, shape or form. It was long, had too many plot lines and simply didn't move. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I didn't really get invested in the story or the characters until I'd read about 600 pages. Then I feel like the story line kicked in to high gear. There is a lot about business dealings which is not my favorite subject but it challenged me and my expanded my ideas. I really like Ian Dunross and his morality. I'm glad I read it and after a long break I may read more in the series. ( )
  avs24 | Oct 9, 2014 |

James Clavellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hausner, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linnert, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit is natuurlijk een roman. De mensen en maatschappijen, die erin voorkomen zijn denkbeeldig en er worden geen toespelingen gemaakt op personen of maatschappijen, die nu of in het verleden iets met Hongkong of Azië te maken hebben of hebben gehad.
Ik wil me verontschuldigen tegenover alle Hongkong yan - alle mensen uit Hongkong - voor het feit dat ik met de plattegrond van hun stad heb geknoeid, voor het feit dat ik mensen, plaatsen, straten, maatschappijen en gebeurtenissen heb verzonnen die, naar ik hoop, levensecht lijken, maar die nooit bestaan hebben omdat dit zuiver een verhaal is...
Of course this is a novel. It is peopled with imaginary persons and companies and no reference to any person or company that was, or is, part of Hong Kong or Asia is intended.
I would also like to apologize at once to all Hong Kong yan—all Hong Kong persons—for rearranging their beautiful city, for taking incidents out of context, for inventing people and places and streets and companies and incidents that, hopefully, may appear to have existed but have never existed, for this, truly, is a story. . . .
I would like to offer this work as a tribute to Her Britannic Majesty, Elizabeth II, to the people of Her Crown Colony of Hong Kong—and perdition to their enemies.
His name was Ian Dunross and in the torrential rain he drove his old MG sports car cautiously around the corner into Dirk's Street that skirted the Struan Building on the waterfront of Hong Kong.
This is the full work. Please do not combine it with one of its parts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440164842, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:56 -0400)

Under the eyes of the KGB, the CIA, and the People's Republic of China, British and American businessmen maneuver for control of Hong Kong's oldest trading house in a torrid atmosphere of easy money, smuggled guns, and natural disaster.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,925,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible