Noble House by James Clavell

Noble House (1981)

by James Clavell

Series: The Asian Saga (5)

1960s (10) 20th century (15) adventure (19) Asia (47) Asian Saga (17) business (6) China (70) Clavell (10) ebook (8) fiction (290) general fiction (6) historical (33) historical fiction (131) historical novel (9) history (16) Hong Kong (113) Japan (31) literature (12) novel (39) own (10) paperback (8) read (21) Roman (17) saga (7) series (20) suspense (6) thriller (12) to-read (16) unread (9) used (7)
    Tai-Pan by James Clavell (Crozier)
    Gai-Jin by James Clavell (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Written after Noble House but taking place before, describes the origin of "Hag" Struan and ties in the Shogun storyline; best read first, if it's not too late!
    Thistle & The Jade, The: A Celebration of 175 Years of Jardine, Matheson & Co. by Maggie Keswick (Crozier)
    The Baron and the Chinese Puzzle by John Creasey (benfulton)
    benfulton: The two books share interesting insights on Hong Kong politics.
    Jardine Matheson: Traders of the Far East by Robert Blake (Crozier)

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
Review "The last time I was so taken with a spellbinding safari was when I read Gone With The Wind."—_Los Angeles Times_. “ClavellĂ‚Â’s biggest triumph yetĂ‚Â…storytelling done with dash and panache...a rousing read.” —_Washington Post “Fiction for addictsĂ‚Â…extravagantly romanticĂ‚Â…a book that you can get lost in for weeksĂ‚Â…staggering complexityĂ‚Â…not only is it as long as life, itĂ‚Â’s also as rich with possibilities.” —New York Times
_
“Tremendous entertainment…a seamless marvel of pure storytelling_.”—Cleveland Plain Dealer “A mesmerizer…spellbinding.” —Los Angeles Times “Breathtaking…only terms like colossal, gigantic, titanic, incredible, unbelievable, gargantuan, are properly descriptive.…Clavell has made himself the king of super-adventure thrillers.” —Chicago Tribune Book World_ Product Description _
The setting is Hong Kong, 1963. The action spans scarcely more than a week, but these are days of high adventure: from kidnapping and murder to financial double-dealing and natural catastrophes–fire, flood, landslide. Yet they are days filled as well with all the mystery and romance of Hong Kong–the heart of Asia–rich in every trade…money, flesh, opium, power.
_ ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Intrique; sabatoge; back stabbing and the relentless pursuit of power captures from the start while at the same time weaving a fabric around detailed characters and settings; if you like Shogun then u will like this as well ( )
  longhorndaniel | May 29, 2013 |
All along while reading this book, I couldn't shake the feeling, that I might not have read this one before.
ususally, even after many year, I do at least remember part of the plot, the main characters, some of the twists and turns. But while reading this book, I finally came to the conclusion, that I did not read it. It must have been one of Clavell's other books, or I must have wanted to read it, something like that.

So, this book moves now officially from being a re-read to read for the first time.

And I liked it a lot. It is hard to compare it so other books, but when I have to, it looks a lot like books by Tom Clancy. Many plotlines, many characters, who are all plotting, scheming, betraying, spying, lying, loving, hating. It is quite a lot to keep track of, but miraculously I didn't find that difficult of annoying.
It is also quite a lot for the only one week that the book describes.

That being said, I must admit, that I like Clavells' books on the earlier history of Noble House better. Not because the books are better, but because I find the subject much more interesting. I guess that's because it is such a strange world to me, the medieval Japan / China and the period shortly following thereafter.

Modern times there, even though a lot of the eastern customs are mentioned and well put into the story, I find not as interesting.

Nevertheless: for those who loke a fast paced book based in Asia, a mixture of eastern and western habits, I can surely recommend this book. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 22, 2013 |
The weakest of Clavell's Japan novels. I didn't enjoy it near as much as Centennial and Tai Pan, but still rich history, characters and plotting as well as the usual healthy dose of foreign culture. This one takes place in modern Japan. ( )
  BryanThomasS | Nov 7, 2011 |
I usually like James Clavell, but I nearly gave up on this. It was so-o-o-o long, and it seemed to get hopelessly bogged down in complex share dealing. Incidentally, this was the first time I had heard of 'short selling', a concept which was quite topical in the UK while I was reading this, with every media outlet seeking to explain it in words of one syllable for the masses. (I didn't understand it then either).

I missed the cultural clash that was evident in Clavell's previous Asia-based books, the only one here being the difficulty the Hong Kong businessmen had accepting the American businesswoman. That I thought was handled perfectly. ( )
  jayne_charles | Aug 29, 2010 |

James Clavellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hausner, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linnert, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit is natuurlijk een roman. De mensen en maatschappijen, die erin voorkomen zijn denkbeeldig en er worden geen toespelingen gemaakt op personen of maatschappijen, die nu of in het verleden iets met Hongkong of Azië te maken hebben of hebben gehad.
Ik wil me verontschuldigen tegenover alle Hongkong yan - alle mensen uit Hongkong - voor het feit dat ik met de plattegrond van hun stad heb geknoeid, voor het feit dat ik mensen, plaatsen, straten, maatschappijen en gebeurtenissen heb verzonnen die, naar ik hoop, levensecht lijken, maar die nooit bestaan hebben omdat dit zuiver een verhaal is...
Of course this is a novel. It is peopled with imaginary persons and companies and no reference to any person or company that was, or is, part of Hong Kong or Asia is intended.
I would also like to apologize at once to all Hong Kong yan—all Hong Kong persons—for rearranging their beautiful city, for taking incidents out of context, for inventing people and places and streets and companies and incidents that, hopefully, may appear to have existed but have never existed, for this, truly, is a story. . . .
I would like to offer this work as a tribute to Her Britannic Majesty, Elizabeth II, to the people of Her Crown Colony of Hong Kong—and perdition to their enemies.
His name was Ian Dunross and in the torrential rain he drove his old MG sports car cautiously around the corner into Dirk's Street that skirted the Struan Building on the waterfront of Hong Kong.
This is the full work. Please do not combine it with one of its parts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440164842, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:27 -0400)

Under the eyes of the KGB, the CIA, and the People's Republic of China, British and American businessmen maneuver for control of Hong Kong's oldest trading house in a torrid atmosphere of easy money, smuggled guns, and natural disaster.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,523,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible