Little Women / Good Wives by Louisa May…

Little Women / Good Wives (1869)

by Louisa May Alcott

Series: Little Women (1)

16,619282181 (4.03)25

It’s the Civil War and the four March sisters are struggling to grow up to be well-bred young ladies after their family has fallen on hard times. Pretty Meg, the oldest, finds it the hardest to be poor. Tomboy Jo has big dreams of becoming a writer. Kind Beth just wants a quiet life at home with her sisters. And impish Amy struggles with being impulsive and a bit vain. Holding them all together is Marmie, their wise and independent mother, who lovingly guides them as they change from girls to women while their father is away at war.
  dneirick | May 9, 2019 |
This book is about family and women power. The four March sisters try to get though the civil war while their father is there. They are different personalities and like different things. They still take care of one another no matter what. Drama goes on and new things happen. ( )
  Adriana18 | May 3, 2019 |
Ci sono delle situazioni che come lettore dell'oggi faccio fatica a seguirle ma la seconda parte con la simpatica Jo (la signorina maschiaccio) il libro acquista una sua vivacità e strappa qualche sorriso pensando ai nostri tempi! Comunque Margareth alla fine .....si siede sulle ginocchia del pretendente! Scandalo! ( )
  Ste1955 | Apr 24, 2019 |
In love with the March girls, the time period, the Bostonian culture. Louisa May Alcott is a contemporary of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau. Love the character of Marmee and her gentle patience. Of course Jo with her big ideas and ambition and ability to think outside the box. I have many friends like Beth and Meg. Quiet, practical help keep the Jos and Amys like myself grounded. Can’t wait to visit the Alcott house in March 2019!
  DalenaWallace | Feb 27, 2019 |
What more can be said about this classic than already has? I first read this at 13, and all these years later, I find I still adore it as I did then. I don't have a favorite character, as I like them all evenly for their differences. ( )
  Stacy_Krout | Feb 20, 2019 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Showalter, ElaineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
Gentlemen, which means boys, be courteous to the old maids, no matter how poor and plain and prim, for the only chivalry worth having is that which is the readiest to pay deference to the old, protect the feeble, and serve womankind, regardless of rank, age, or color. (Chapter 43, Gutenberg.org edition)
This LT work is the complete, unabridged Little Women , containing both Part First (originally published in 1868) and Part Second (published in 1869). American editions almost always contain both parts. UK and European editions frequently contain only Part First, with Part Second being published separately as Good Wives. If you are not sure which version you have, check the table of contents. Part First ends with Chapter 23, "Aunt March Settles the Question." Part Second ends with the chapter entitled "Harvest Time". Please do not combine with editions that contain only Little Women: Part I., or with any abridgments, adaptations, or film versions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:56:00 -0500)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140390693, 0141192410, 0451532082, 0143106651

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,854,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible