Little Women (Children's Classics) by Louisa…

Little Women (Children's Classics) (original 1869; edition 1998)

by Louisa May Alcott (Author)

Series: Little Women (1-2)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.
Member:mattandbranson
Title:Little Women (Children's Classics)
Authors:Louisa May Alcott (Author)
Info:Children's Classics (1998), 400 pages

Little Women / Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott (1869)

English (177)  Spanish (1)  All languages (178)
Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy are home with their mother, Marmee, while their father is serving as a chaplain the Civil War. These episodic chapters tell of their everyday trials and tribulations, fun and joys, as they strive to become better people and grow into young women.

This classic hardly needs an introduction, right? My first foray was actually one of those Illustrated Classics that was much abridged and had a drawing on every other page. I still have a lot of fondness for the story, for all its moralizing, and found that a lot of Marmee's precepts had wormed their way into a lot of my own thinking. As a classic, I think it would still hold appeal to some readers, as while details have changed certainly the challenges of growing up, trying to be good, and dealing with friends and family are still very much the same. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 6, 2021 |
Little Women felt far too outdated and preachy at times, making it annoying to read. The characters were rich and engaging, however, and their everyday interactions were what made me come back to the book. ( )
  Dreklogar | Jan 5, 2021 |
I don't remember if and when I read this book for the first time. Even though I got it for my eighth birthday, I doubt if I could or would have wanted to tackle it then. In any case it's a charming book and there are some scenes that don't make it to the movies, from my recollection given the time constraints. ( )
  eliorajoy | Dec 11, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
this is a favourite ( )
  LauraAnne2001 | Jun 20, 2020 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jambor, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Showalter, ElaineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
Gentlemen, which means boys, be courteous to the old maids, no matter how poor and plain and prim, for the only chivalry worth having is that which is the readiest to pay deference to the old, protect the feeble, and serve womankind, regardless of rank, age, or color. (Chapter 43, Gutenberg.org edition)
This LT work is the complete, unabridged Little Women , containing both Part First (originally published in 1868) and Part Second (published in 1869). American editions almost always contain both parts. UK and European editions frequently contain only Part First, with Part Second being published separately as Good Wives. If you are not sure which version you have, check the table of contents. Part First ends with Chapter 23, "Aunt March Settles the Question." Part Second ends with the chapter entitled "Harvest Time". Please do not combine with editions that contain only Little Women: Part I., or with any abridgments, adaptations, or film versions.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140390693, 0141192410, 0451532082, 0143106651

West Margin Press

An edition of this book was published by West Margin Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,281,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible