Goodbye, Vitamin: A Novel by Rachel Khong

Goodbye, Vitamin: A Novel (2017)

by Rachel Khong

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.
    Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli (booklove2)
    booklove2: told through short chapters, sad yet humorous, focusing on family

I was truly moved by this loving, quirky, funny, clever, sad book. ( )
  jfaltz | Apr 15, 2019 |
Notes for a first novel. Lots of ideas and some properly funny lines, but it felt underdone. It's rare that I think an author needed another 50 pages to flesh things out and tell an actual story rather than carve out a loosely contained series of vignettes. I don't mind things being left unresolved, because they weren't properly cooked to begin with. It was a book that demanded too little investment. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Ruth comes home to spend Christmas with her parents and ends up agreeing to stay for a year to help out with her father as he experiences growing symptoms of dementia. While there, she tries to get over a bad breakup, and learns some things about her parents' marriage.

Despite some heavy subject matter, this is a very light-feeling, very quick-reading novel. A little too much so for me, to be honest. And it's written in a disjointed, causal style full of random thoughts that pop into the main character's head, which is something that often works well for me, but seemed kind of unsatisfying here. It's not bad. Occasionally it's quite charming, and there are moments of poignancy toward the end. But it did leave me kind of wishing I'd just read something with a little more heft. ( )
  bragan | Jan 22, 2019 |
Loved it. Loved the style, loved the story, loved the characters. I realize that it's not for everyone, I really enjoyed it so so much. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
A super solid and engaging read that was funny, sad, bittersweet. This rounds in on 4 stars, but I can’t quite do it. It’s quick, though it took me a month, that’s mostly because of the month it’s been.... ( )
  aMnreader | Jan 13, 2019 |
For my parents
Tonight a man found Dad's pants in a tree that was lit with still-hanging Christmas lights.

""Incredibly poignant ... Rachel Khong's first novel sneaks up on you -- just like life ... and heartbreak. And love."--Miranda July A few days after Christmas in a small suburb outside of L.A., pairs of a man's pants hang from the trees. The pants belong to Howard Young, a prominent history professor, recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Howard's wife, Annie, summons their daughter, Ruth. Freshly disengaged from her fiance and still broken up about it, feeling that life has not turned out quite the way she planned, thirty-year- old Ruth quits her job, and arrives home to find her parents' situation worse than she'd realized. Her father is erratically lucid and her mother, a devoted and creative cook, sees the sources of memory loss in every pot and pan. But as Howard's condition intensifies, the comedy in Ruth's situation takes hold, gently transforming her grief. She throws herself into caretaking: cooking dementia-fighting meals (a feast of jellyfish!), researching supplements, anything to reignite her father's once-notable memory. And when the university finally lets Howard go, Ruth and one of her father's handsome former students take their efforts to help Howard one step too far. Told in captivating glimpses and drawn from a deep well of insight, humor, and unexpected tenderness, Goodbye, Vitamin pilots through the loss, love, and absurdity of finding a one's footing in this life"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rachel Khong's book Goodbye, Vitamin was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,394,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible