De amor y de sombra by ISABEL ALLENDE

De amor y de sombra (original 1984; edition 2012)

Title:De amor y de sombra
Info:PLAZA & JANES (2012), Perfect Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned

Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende (1984)

English (18)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (28)
I thought Isabel Allende's novel "Of Love and Shadows" was a good book, but not a great one. I ended up disappointed because my expectations were so high for this novel.

The story itself is interesting. It focuses on Irene and Francisco, a journalist and a photographer, who fall in love, but that's besides the point really. It's about the impact of a corrupt military on several families and the couple's documentation of it.

The plot itself was interesting enough, but the execution wasn't the greatest. Allende kind of glosses over some things to move onto the next part of the story. It seemed a bit too "surface" if that makes any sense. Overall, it was an okay book but it isn't the best example of Allende's work. ( )
  amerynth | Oct 18, 2016 |
This is a book in the 1001 book to read before you die list. I lasted 50 pages and just had to stop. I'm sorry it just confused the heck out of me bouncing back and forth between families. I have no idea how one family was connected to the other two or why I needed to know their whole history. Very very boring and I could not see myself reading the rest of the book. Not my cup o' tea.
  booklover3258 | Sep 12, 2016 |
A story set in some country in America (probably a Latin American country). We are never told the name of the country but it is under the dictatorship of the military. It is political, love story and a family story. Irene is from upper class and is educated as a journalist. Francisco has lost his job as a psychologist because of his families Marxist leanings. He goes to work for Irene. Irene is slowly exposed to the reality of the military rule and as she learns the horrors, she loses he innocent joy of life that is so much of her beauty. This is a beautifully written and easy to read book. ( )
  Kristelh | May 23, 2016 |
I have read many of Allende's novels and I have enjoyed them all. This one was no different. It was an intriguing story and kept me interested until the very end. I found it to be a powerful and moving story of love in the midst of violence and fear. It shows us what life under military dictatorship in Latin American was like. It is also a mixture between mystery and romance. I would recommend this book to those interested in contemporary Latin American literature.
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
In an unidentified Latin American country that is under military dictatorship, journalist Irene Beltran and photographer Francisco Leal come together to uncover a horrible crime. Part love-story, this book blends elements of journalistic style with narrative fiction and is a political commentary about life under dictatorship. Love is a central theme in the book: love of country, romantic love, and love of family.

I loved this book and I am giving it a rare (for me) 5 star rating based on the emotional impact the book had on me. It is thus far, my favorite of Allende’s books. Allende is a master storyteller. I cried, felt infuriated, felt disgusted, and smiled. I thought she did a masterful job of combining horribly sad story elements with moments of love and beauty (the title perfectly captures this). I enjoyed the style of writing that at times read like a newspaper and at times like a novel. Allende is able to make us connect well with her characters by weaving past stories with present so that each character introduced is given their own backstory. This gives us insight into their current behaviors and how they are informed by past circumstances. The character development is wonderful. The growth of Irene from innocent, wealthy woman of few problems to a woman who opens her eyes to the realities of the world around her is brilliant. Some descriptions are beautiful and I loved the moments of love (romantic, familial, of country) that shined through in the midst of violence and repression. These moments of love made the truly horrible moments somewhat more tolerable. I also liked some of the contrasts she made between the effects of the dictatorship on the wealthy vs. the impoverished. I think she perfectly captured the willful “blindness” that those in power (whether due to financial or political reasons) often have toward unpleasant situations going on around them.

Note: I read this in Spanish and then read certain chapters in English (I got the English version from the library). The translation was fairly good and very accurate but I found the Spanish version flowed better, was more beautiful and emotional, and filled with more warmth.
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is a novel about institutional violence, of the sort perpetrated by authoritarian states; it is about human rights and their loss, and the difficulty of documenting that loss, so as to move the collective conscience of the world.

Allende has married the world of magic and political evil most credibly.

Isabel Allende is a writer of deep conviction, but she knows that in the end it is people, not issues, who matter most. The people in Of Love and Shadows are so real, their triumphs and defeats are so faithful to the truth of human existence, that we see the world in miniature. This is precisely what fiction should do.

Allende, Isabelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morino, AngeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only love with its science makes us so innocent.
 - Violeta Parra
Dit is het verhaal van een vrouw en een man die elkaar onmetelijk lief hadden en zo konden ontsnappen aan de alledaagsheid van het bestaan. Ik heb het in mijn geheugen gegrift en gekoesterd, zodat de tijd het niet zou uitwissen en pas nu, in de sprakeloze nachten van deze plaats, kan ik het eindelijk vertellen. Dat doe ik voor hen en voor anderen die mij hun levensgeschiedenissen hebben toevertrouwd en tegen mij zeiden: hier, schrijf op, opdat ze niet vervliegen in de tijd. - I.A.
The first sunny day of spring evaporated the dampness that had accumulated in the soil through the winter months, and warmed the fragile bones of old people who now could stroll the gentle orthopedic paths of the garden.
"This is the story of a woman and a man who loved one another so deeply that they saved themselves from a banal existence. I have carried it in my memory, guarding it carefully so it would not be eroded by time, and it is only now, in the silent nights of this place, that I can finally tell it. I do it for them, and for others who have confided their lives to me, saying: Here, write it, or it will be erased by the wind."

„Tai istorija apie moterį ir vyrą, kurie be atodairos mylėjo vienas kitą ir taip gelbėjosi nuo tuščios būties. Laikiau ją savo atmintyje, saugojau, kad laikas neišdildytų, ir tik dabar, būdama čia, tyliomis naktimis jau galiu ją papasakoti. Padarysiu tai dėl jų ir dėl kitų, kurie patikėjo man savo gyvenimo paslaptį sakydami: imk, rašyk, kad jos neišpustytų vėjas.“ Tie gražūs žodžiai leidžia suprasti knygą, kurioje vaizduotė ir tikrovė plaukia lygia greta. „Apie meilę ir šešėlius“, antrasis Isabelės Allendės romanas, apdainuoja meilę ir viltį. Pagrįstas tikrais faktais, kuriuos meistriška autorės plunksna pavertė nepamirštamu romanu, tas aistringas pasakojimas buvo ekranizuotas, pagal jį pastatytas didelio pasisekimo pasaulyje sulaukęs filmas, kuriame vaidina Antonio Banderas, Jennifer Connely ir Stefanija Sandrelli.

Beautiful and headstrong, Irene Beltrán works as a magazine journalist—a profession that belies her privileged upbringing and her engagement to an army captain. Her investigative partner is photographer Francisco Leal, the son of impoverished Spanish Marxist émigrés. Together, they form an unlikely but inseparable team—and Francisco quickly falls in love with the fierce and loyal Irene. When an assignment leads them to a young girl whom locals believe to possess miraculous powers, they uncover an unspeakable crime perpetrated by an oppressive regime. Determined to reveal the truth in a nation overrun by terror and violence, each will risk everything to find justice—and, ultimately, to embrace the passion and fervor that binds them.

Profoundly moving and ultimately uplifting, Of Love and Shadows is a tale of romance, bravery, and tragedy, set against the indelible backdrop of a country ruled with an iron fist—and peopled with those who dare to challenge it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

"Isabel Allende transports us to a Latin American country in the grip of a military dictatorship, where Irene Beltran, an upper-class journalist, and Francisco Leal, photographer son of a Marxist professor, together discover a hideous crime. They also discover how far they dare go in search of the truth in a nation of terror, and how very much they risk."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,787,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible