De amor y de sombra by ISABEL ALLENDE

De amor y de sombra (original 1984; edition 2012)

by ISABEL ALLENDE

Member:Wordreader
Title:De amor y de sombra
Authors:ISABEL ALLENDE
Info:PLAZA & JANES (2012), Perfect Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende (1984)

English (15)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (23)
I have read many of Allende's novels and I have enjoyed them all. This one was no different. It was an intriguing story and kept me interested until the very end. I found it to be a powerful and moving story of love in the midst of violence and fear. It shows us what life under military dictatorship in Latin American was like. It is also a mixture between mystery and romance. I would recommend this book to those interested in contemporary Latin American literature.
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
In an unidentified Latin American country that is under military dictatorship, journalist Irene Beltran and photographer Francisco Leal come together to uncover a horrible crime. Part love-story, this book blends elements of journalistic style with narrative fiction and is a political commentary about life under dictatorship. Love is a central theme in the book: love of country, romantic love, and love of family.

I loved this book and I am giving it a rare (for me) 5 star rating based on the emotional impact the book had on me. It is thus far, my favorite of Allende’s books. Allende is a master storyteller. I cried, felt infuriated, felt disgusted, and smiled. I thought she did a masterful job of combining horribly sad story elements with moments of love and beauty (the title perfectly captures this). I enjoyed the style of writing that at times read like a newspaper and at times like a novel. Allende is able to make us connect well with her characters by weaving past stories with present so that each character introduced is given their own backstory. This gives us insight into their current behaviors and how they are informed by past circumstances. The character development is wonderful. The growth of Irene from innocent, wealthy woman of few problems to a woman who opens her eyes to the realities of the world around her is brilliant. Some descriptions are beautiful and I loved the moments of love (romantic, familial, of country) that shined through in the midst of violence and repression. These moments of love made the truly horrible moments somewhat more tolerable. I also liked some of the contrasts she made between the effects of the dictatorship on the wealthy vs. the impoverished. I think she perfectly captured the willful “blindness” that those in power (whether due to financial or political reasons) often have toward unpleasant situations going on around them.

Note: I read this in Spanish and then read certain chapters in English (I got the English version from the library). The translation was fairly good and very accurate but I found the Spanish version flowed better, was more beautiful and emotional, and filled with more warmth.
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
Esta história começa no ponto em que 'A Casa dos Espíritos' termina - durante o golpe militar da extrema direita que tirou do poder o presidente Salvador Allende, em 1973. A narrativa tem como pano de fundo a história de amor de Francisco e Irene, dois jovens jornalistas que residem no Chile, oprimido pela violência da ditadura militar. Filha de uma família tradicional, Irene vive alienada da realidade que se instaurou no país, e Francisco é um fotógrafo espanhol exilado. Ao descobrirem uma mina abandonada, onde os militares escondem os corpos dos presos políticos mortos nos porões das cadeias chilenas, Irene e Francisco arriscam a própria vida para salvar os perseguidos e angariar fundos para lhes suprimir a fome.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 5, 2014 |
A book of the Revolution in a Latin American country that went unnamed in the book, this deals with the brutal side of government takeovers & crimes against the people. Irene is a journalist for a women's magazine, Francisco her photographer. Irene comes from a formerly well to do family, but her father became one of "the disappeared ones", & in order to make ends meet, turned the entire bottom floor of the hacienda into a home for the elderly. They are a cast of characters all their own. Irene is engaged to Gustavo, a Captain in the armed forces there, but falls in love with Francisco.

There are so many tales of characters that become interwoven in this story, including the 2 Evangelinas, switched at birth, given to different mothers who knew each other, but were not permitted to switch their daughters back, so they both gave them the same names, & the families each treated the girls like sisters, & the girls always knew about the switch. Very strange substory there.

All in all, this story doesn't disappoint. The richness of the story, the way in which Allende writes about the people of this land, the families, the hardships, the brutality of the dictator's regime, the shocking violence of the takeover, & the propaganda that is spun while unspeakable things happen can be a lesson for all of today. ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
A moving and enjoyable story. The story-line is relatively simple compared to some of Allende's other books, but nonetheless shines a light on the human condition. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is a novel about institutional violence, of the sort perpetrated by authoritarian states; it is about human rights and their loss, and the difficulty of documenting that loss, so as to move the collective conscience of the world.

Allende has married the world of magic and political evil most credibly.

Isabel Allende is a writer of deep conviction, but she knows that in the end it is people, not issues, who matter most. The people in Of Love and Shadows are so real, their triumphs and defeats are so faithful to the truth of human existence, that we see the world in miniature. This is precisely what fiction should do.

Allende, Isabelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morino, AngeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Only love with its science makes us so innocent.
 - Violeta Parra
Dit is het verhaal van een vrouw en een man die elkaar onmetelijk lief hadden en zo konden ontsnappen aan de alledaagsheid van het bestaan. Ik heb het in mijn geheugen gegrift en gekoesterd, zodat de tijd het niet zou uitwissen en pas nu, in de sprakeloze nachten van deze plaats, kan ik het eindelijk vertellen. Dat doe ik voor hen en voor anderen die mij hun levensgeschiedenissen hebben toevertrouwd en tegen mij zeiden: hier, schrijf op, opdat ze niet vervliegen in de tijd. - I.A.
The first sunny day of spring evaporated the dampness that had accumulated in the soil through the winter months, and warmed the fragile bones of old people who now could stroll the gentle orthopedic paths of the garden.
"This is the story of a woman and a man who loved one another so deeply that they saved themselves from a banal existence. I have carried it in my memory, guarding it carefully so it would not be eroded by time, and it is only now, in the silent nights of this place, that I can finally tell it. I do it for them, and for others who have confided their lives to me, saying: Here, write it, or it will be erased by the wind."

„Tai istorija apie moterį ir vyrą, kurie be atodairos mylėjo vienas kitą ir taip gelbėjosi nuo tuščios būties. Laikiau ją savo atmintyje, saugojau, kad laikas neišdildytų, ir tik dabar, būdama čia, tyliomis naktimis jau galiu ją papasakoti. Padarysiu tai dėl jų ir dėl kitų, kurie patikėjo man savo gyvenimo paslaptį sakydami: imk, rašyk, kad jos neišpustytų vėjas.“ Tie gražūs žodžiai leidžia suprasti knygą, kurioje vaizduotė ir tikrovė plaukia lygia greta. „Apie meilę ir šešėlius“, antrasis Isabelės Allendės romanas, apdainuoja meilę ir viltį. Pagrįstas tikrais faktais, kuriuos meistriška autorės plunksna pavertė nepamirštamu romanu, tas aistringas pasakojimas buvo ekranizuotas, pagal jį pastatytas didelio pasisekimo pasaulyje sulaukęs filmas, kuriame vaidina Antonio Banderas, Jennifer Connely ir Stefanija Sandrelli.

Beautiful and headstrong, Irene Beltrán works as a magazine journalist—a profession that belies her privileged upbringing and her engagement to an army captain. Her investigative partner is photographer Francisco Leal, the son of impoverished Spanish Marxist émigrés. Together, they form an unlikely but inseparable team—and Francisco quickly falls in love with the fierce and loyal Irene. When an assignment leads them to a young girl whom locals believe to possess miraculous powers, they uncover an unspeakable crime perpetrated by an oppressive regime. Determined to reveal the truth in a nation overrun by terror and violence, each will risk everything to find justice—and, ultimately, to embrace the passion and fervor that binds them.

Profoundly moving and ultimately uplifting, Of Love and Shadows is a tale of romance, bravery, and tragedy, set against the indelible backdrop of a country ruled with an iron fist—and peopled with those who dare to challenge it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

"Isabel Allende transports us to a Latin American country in the grip of a military dictatorship, where Irene Beltran, an upper-class journalist, and Francisco Leal, photographer son of a Marxist professor, together discover a hideous crime. They also discover how far they dare go in search of the truth in a nation of terror, and how very much they risk."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible