How to Fall in Love with Anyone: A Memoir in…

How to Fall in Love with Anyone: A Memoir in Essays (2017)

by Mandy Len Catron

I really liked reading this book. especially parts about love stories and how we (or some of us) shape our own experiences with love to fit into these neat little stories, when real life is rarely as streamlined as your average romcom. it's comforting. ( )
  MegScrungus | Aug 7, 2018 |
In 2015, Mandy Len Catron's essay, titled "To Fall in Love with Anyone, Do This," was published in the Modern Love section of the New York Times. On the basis of that successful article, Catron has written a memoir in essays, examining her own love stories as well as those of her parents, relatives, friends, and even some strangers she got to know in the course of writing the book. She discusses research into love, and of course, she talks about the night she described in the original article, where she and an acquaintance asked each other a prescribed series of increasingly personal questions, then stared into one another's eyes for four minutes straight.

It's always interesting to read other people's ideas about and experiences of love. I appreciated Catron's down-to-earth approach, and the questions she had, especially when considering her parents' divorce and the breakup of her own long-term relationship. I didn't have any particular epiphanies regarding love, but I liked a lot of what Catron had to say. I felt she occasionally veered into preachiness, and her bias was evident in spots, but that's to be expected with any book, and one that styles itself a memoir particularly.

I listened to this audiobook, rather than reading the print version. It was read by the author, which is so rarely a good idea. In this case, the narration was at the bottom range of what I consider acceptable: clear, but occasionally oddly inflected, and with significant vocal fry. If that last trait irritates you, steer clear of this audiobook. The book itself, however, is worth reading if you have an interest in the topic. ( )
  foggidawn | Oct 4, 2017 |
Entertaining stories as she explores the definition of love in different stages and circumstances. ( )
  GShuk | Aug 13, 2017 |
To Mom and Dad, for showing me how to love
I'd been writing about the dangers of love stories for five years when my own story became a subject of international interest.
. . . sometimes, when you commit to a difficult decision, it comes with an unexpected relief.  And the relief feels to good to give up. I understood how you could leave someone and feel lost without him, and still choose that loneliness over being with him.

In a series of candid essays, Mandy Len Catron takes a closer look at what it means to love someone, be loved, and how we present our love to the world. -- Adapted from publisher's summary.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible