Two Nights: A Novel (Random House Large…

Two Nights: A Novel (Random House Large Print) (edition 2017)

by Kathy Reichs (Author)

Member:lucaslibrary
Title:Two Nights: A Novel (Random House Large Print)
Authors:Kathy Reichs (Author)
Info:Random House Large Print (2017), Edition: Large Print, 464 pages

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs

This is a standalone book. It could possibly be the start to a new series, but we will have to see. The main character, Sunday Night, is not fully fleshed out, and more could be written about her.

Sunday is a very damaged person. As the book progresses, we learn that Sunday and her twin brother, Gus, were raised in a cult as children. It was not pleasant for either of them, but Sunday had it especially hard. Upon leaving the cult, they lived with Beau, a police man who agreed to foster them. Beau gave them the only stability they had ever know.

As an adult, Sunday first goes into the military, and then the police force. An incident causes Sunday to lose her job and now she is living as a recluse on a remote island. Beau, worried for her, convinces her to look into a year old case of a kidnapped teen. Sunday reluctantly agrees and soon finds herself investigating a strange cult that may be responsible for the kidnapping and more.

The book moves along at a fast pace and is interesting. I liked Sunday, even though she had many personality flaws. Her brother Gus is a charming counterpoint to her antisocial nature. The exploration into the dark side of cults was fascinating. I enjoyed reading this.

I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
This is a new series, I think anyway, by this author. I actually picked this one because I have read and enjoyed all of the Tempe Brennan books. I was expecting something maybe along those lines but I was wrong. Sunday Night is nothing at all what I thought she would be like, which is actually fine and does work well for this book. To say that I loved this new character is wrong, I was not crazy about Sunday Night, I actually liked August "Gus" Night better. Sunday is a bit too much of everything, in my opinion, too angry , too ballsy , too tough acting , she almost comes off as trying too hard to be this gritty hard as nails bad ass woman. The plot itself, find the granddaughter, kidnapped in an explosion, of a cantankerous wealthy older woman who hates everyone was a bit slow for me. Sunday is racing against time to stop another bomb plot and find the people responsible. This sounds like it would be fast paced and exciting but it fell short for me. Sure the story line and characters are solid as pertains to the plot and the book itself is very well written and a quick read so for that gave it three stars.

I am not sure if there is another book in this series I will read it but who knows. This was fast paced and a solid plot but for me it did not really work.This review was originally posted on Cindy's Book Binge ( )
  fictionalblonde | Apr 10, 2019 |
3.5/5 stars. Sunday (Sunnie) Night is an ex-marine, ex-cop who is living on Goat Island as a recluse. You quickly learn that she has a lot of baggage that has scarred her emotionally. When her friend, Beau, visits her on the island, he tells her he has a job for her. Opaline Drucker wants to hire her to find her granddaughter. At first Sunnie wants to turn it down but figures she will go and hear her out before making her final decision. The story she hears convinces Sunnie to take the job. With all expenses covered and a possible payout of 140,000.00, she sets her plan in motion. She sets off solo, but picks up help along the way as her life becomes endangered. Will she find Stella? Is she still alive? Who is trying to kill Sunnie?

I don't want to give the plot away, but suffice it to say that it keeps you turning the pages. Kathy Reichs is an excellent writer whether she is penning a book in her Tempe Brennan series, or this standalone thriller. The one thing I found was that the main character was rather unlikeable. She was argumentative, rude, quick to temper and put herself and others in danger. As her story unfolds, I started to see why she was that way and she started to grow on me. There are two narrators in the story, Sunnie and an adolescent girl. The story comes together very nicely in the end. I enjoyed this book, but not as much as many of her other ones. A good book for those who like thrillers and suspense. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
The title makes so much sense as you get through the book. Very Oliver Twist in the naming of the character. I loved the characterisation. Kathy Reichs as usual has created a kick-ass female lead. I was reminded of Strike in Robert Galbraith (Rowling). ( )
  Nadishka | Jan 26, 2019 |
I've read all of Kathy Reichs Temperance Brennan books and have loved them, but her YA books haven't been up to snuff for my tastes. This was a new standalone novel from Reichs, not YA and also not a Tempe book. I enjoyed it well enough and it's a quick read. Not as great as the Tempe books but recommended for crime fiction lovers. ( )
  ChelleBearss | May 12, 2018 |

#1 New York Times bestselling author Kathy Reichs steps beyond her classic Temperance Brennan series in a new standalone thriller—featuring a smart, tough, talented heroine whose thirst for justice stems from her own dark past.

Meet Sunday Night, a woman with physical and psychological scars, and a killer instinct. . . .

Sunnie has spent years running from her past, burying secrets and building a life in which she needs no one and feels nothing.

But a girl has gone missing, lost in the chaos of a bomb explosion, and the family needs Sunnie’s help.

Is the girl dead?
Did someone take her?
If she is out there, why doesn't she want to be found?

It’s time for Sunnie to face her own demons—because they just might lead her to the truth about what really happened all those years ago.

Praise for Kathy Reichs

“I love Kathy Reichs—always scary, always suspenseful, and I always learn something.”—Lee Child

“Kathy Reichs continues to be one of the most distinctive and talented writers in the genre. Her legion of readers worldwide will agree with me when I declare that the more books she writes, the more enthusiastic fans she’ll garner.”—Sandra Brown

“Nobody does forensics thrillers like Kathy Reichs. She’s the real deal.”—David Baldacci

“Kathy Reichs writes smart—no, make that brilliant—mysteries.”—James Patterson

“Reichs, a forensic anthropologist, makes her crime novels intriguingly realistic.”—Entertainment Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 30 Dec 2016 00:53:58 -0500)

"A childhood spent in a dangerous cult left Sunday Night never with a bone-deep instinct for survival that's kept her alive into adulthood but left her mostly friendless. Forced into early retirement from the police force due to an injury, Sunnie retreats from an outside world she doesn't trust and sees little use for, until a wealthy woman contacts her with a plea: her teenage granddaughter has been missing since the day of a bombing near a Jewish school. Suspecting the work of religious extremists, she believes Sunnie's unique first-hand experience may make her the ideal woman to track down the girl and bring her captors to justice. As much as Sunnie would rather stay isolated, she won't turn her back on an innocent life in jeopardy -- not when her haunted past cries out for her to take action"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,696,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible