Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson by Ralph Waldo…

Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson (edition 2012)

by Ralph Waldo Emerson (Author)

Member:jamesshelley
Title:Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Authors:Ralph Waldo Emerson (Author)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012)
Collections:Read but unowned

Essays: First Series and Second Series by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson is at once high-minded, and level-headed.

(Paraphrase:)

“I went to the Vatican Museum, and in the poets and saints in paintings there I saw long-lost friends.”

“I went to Rome to see art, although of course if I had wanted to see what people look like, I might have just stayed in Boston.”

.........................

I also think that the question of language, (I read each section twice), is more a matter of large ideas than funny dialect; it does have substance to it.

And it’s nice to know that I’m not the first one to wonder if what we learn is of any use— a question that once vexed me sorely. ( )
  smallself | Mar 29, 2018 |
Westvaco is the West Virginia Paper Co., makers of fine papers. For 47 years, they did a special Christmas book each year that they distributed to their customers, all featuring works from American history or literature. They all include a decorated slipcover, fine endpapers and many have embossed images on the book covers. Some feature gilt edges and silk ribbon bookmarks. Although they had a limited press run the number is not stated nor are they numbered or signed.
  SteveJohnson | Mar 8, 2014 |
IN RETROSPECT, I DON'T THINK THAT DAD REALLY CARED FOR THESE CONTEMPLATIVE THINGS. HhISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, AND GEOGRAPHY AND OCCASIONALY CHURCH BOOKS WERE MORE TO HIS TASTE
  sanjuanslim | Jan 22, 2011 |
victorian
  crazyjerseygirl | Feb 11, 2006 |

Ralph Waldo Emersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edman, IrwinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Day, Edward FrancisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Day, Edweard F.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quinn, Arthur HobsonEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This series of books will include in complete editions those masterpieces of English Literature that are best adapted for the use of schools and colleges.

The only collection of the complete First and Second Series of essays by America's most popular sage, available in an affordable paperback edition. A must for students of American culture and literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:53 -0400)

This collection of Emerson's essays covers the contents of two volumes originally published in 1841 and 1844. Annotation. Our most eloquent champion of individualism, Emerson acknowledges at the same time the countervailing pressures of society in American life. Even as he extols what he called "the great and crescive self," he dramatizes and records its vicissitudes. Here is a collection of his classic essays, including the exhortation to "Self-Reliance" and the embattled realizations of "Circles" and "Experience." Here, too, are his wide-ranging discourses on history, art, politics, nature, friendship, love, and much more. For the first time, the authoritative editions of works by major American novelists, poets, scholars, and essayists collected in the hardcover volumes of The Library of America are being published singly in a series of handsome and durable paperback books. A distinguished author has contributed an introduction for each volume, which also includes a detailed chronology of the author's life and career, an essay on the choice of the text, and notes.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ralph Waldo Emerson's legacy profile.

See Ralph Waldo Emerson's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible