The Almost Sisters: A Novel by Joshilyn…

The Almost Sisters: A Novel

by Joshilyn Jackson

I adore this author, will read anything she writes. How many author can combine the grace and elegance of the south while deftly showing many of the issues that are still apparent underneath the charming veneer. Can combine the devastating effects of lewey bodies, Batman, sex crazed rabbits, a graphic artist, old bones and a church supper where the wrong food is served with humorous results and make it all work. I laughed so hard and will never look at salmon quite the same way again.

She uses a light, gentle tone, a great deal of humor while dealing with some very real issues. Sisterhood, bigotry, family and fatherhood, in all its permutations, are the underlying themes. Weighty subjects, all handled with humor and a great deal of tenderness and love. The characters are wonderful, worm their way into your heart, unforgettable. Entertainment and realism side by side, so well done. The ending, maybe a little schmaltzy, but for me it was apropos and while there was an ending, there was also a beginning.

ARC from publisher.
Releases July 11th from William Morris. ( )
  Beamis12 | Apr 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A cartoonist in Virginia finds out she is pregnant, but before she comes to grips with her situation she is summoned to Alabama to help her grandmother, who has dementia. While she is there, unraveling the secrets of her grandmother's life, the secrets of her own familial relationships demand attention as well. This was an excellent read, sad, suspenseful and humorous, and I enjoyed it greatly. ( )
  Patricia_Winters | Apr 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love all of Joshilyn Jackson's books, and this one is no exception. It is hard to describe this book without giving too much away, but it is a Southern novel with real world problems. As a true Southern Belle myself, I read a lot of Southern chick-lit and most of it is pretty light reading, i.e., crotchety older "grandma" type, sweet Southern girl, family drama, lots of food, Southern slang and a nice tidy ending. Joshilyn adds all of those things into her novels because she IS Southern, but they don't define the book. This book touches on race and in the South, this is many times the elephant in the room. She talks about the two Souths: the idyllic one that many of us think we live in and the one that has the dark undercurrent of Civil War wounds that haven't healed. A great novel and one I've looked forward to for months. Thanks to Library Thing for the Advanced Copy! ( )
  Kappadeemom | Apr 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson is the tale of a prominent family in a small idyllic-appearing Southern town. There are secrets generations in the making about to be revealed, deep and conflicted black/white ties, and a new South emerging even as some try to hold on to the past. The characters are flawed, but lovely in their layers, and will capture your heart. A mystery, murder, and tangled family plots provide a captivating read. ( )
  cyncie | Apr 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow, I don't really know where to start.

The book started off slow for me. A white woman who has a one night stand with "Batman" at a comic book convention. The woman is a guest speaker and writes her own comic book as well as doing work on other comic books. So fairly famous and doing well for herself. She's never been good in relationships and we find out more later as to why.

She soon finds out this "union" results in her being pregnant with a biracial child. About this same time she gets a call from just about everyone in her home town letting her know that her much loved granny is "losing it". This happens to be in Alabama where her family founded the town and has kept it going for generations.

While telling her step sister(and there's a story there as well) that she needs to go home to Alabama to help out her grandmother, she finds out that her step sister and her husband have split so her step sister insists that she take her niece to Alabama with her.

We're talking the south here where racial issues are still, well issues. We have secrets popping out. The grandmother and her black best friend trying to keep a lid on the fact dementia has set in.

So secrets, old bones found in a trunk in the attic, family history coming to light, small town gossip, deep friendships, family doing the best to help family and a police investigation.

So much going on and yet it all holds together. Laughter and tears. I started the book early morning and finished that night. I was hooked and wanted answers. I enjoyed the read and the outcome. ( )
  written | Apr 15, 2017 |
For Jacques de Spoelberch

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible