Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass) by Sarah J.…

Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass) (2017)

by Sarah J. Maas

The newest book in the Throne of Glass series focuses almost exclusively on Chaol, the onetime Captain of the Guard for the King of Adarlan but now wheelchair bound and Hand to Dorian, the new king. He and Nesryn have been sent to the southern continent to beg for aid from the khaganate in their fight against the Valg - and perhaps also get physical healing for Chaol from one of the most talented healers in the Torre, Yrene Towers.

I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy this book, since Chaol was left in a pretty dark place having made some really maddening decisions in his position as Captain for a really twisted king. Those annoyed by the cliffhanger in the last book may also be annoyed that there's almost nothing about what's happening to Aelin and Dorian on the northern continent, except what's heard by the spies in the southern continent. But we see Chaol's character and the worldbuilding in this southern continent really develop well over the course of the story. I didn't love it as much as the rest in the series, but would ultimately reread it. Maas has a habit of making what could be one sentence several staccato fragments instead, which annoyed me some. ("But they had walked this far down the road. Together. She had not turned away. From any of it.") But man, did I devour the last hundred pages last night with bated breath to find out what would happen and what was revealed as Chaol and Nesryn discovered more about the Valg. She knows how to write a twisty, compelling story with complicated characters and I for one am looking forward to the next book.
  bell7 | Oct 11, 2017 |
Sarah J. Maas knows how to write an interesting story. I really enjoyed seeing Chaol's and Yerene's interactions. There are always romantic matches happening everywhere in her books but I don't mind. It means everyone is happy in the end. This story's central match making was done very well, with good development. I didn't even mind that Aelin never made an appearance (until the epilogue). There are a few phrases that the author over-uses but I didn't think it deterred from the story very much. The story is just very good. There was some interesting reveals here, and now I'm geared up for the next book. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 5, 2017 |
This was Chaol's book, but his sad whining sob of a story was shadowed by some fantastic new characters and an exciting twisty twist. Yup, I'm still not his fan girl. I just can't forget what a dumb twig he was. He finds some answers, and perhaps some happiness at least for a moment. Yeh, rah rah, meh who cares.
4 for the book the extra 5 was for the sexy beast known as Sartaq. I loved this character and his giant chicken. :P Another character that stole the book from Chaol was Nesryn, she is a force that made me stay up at night reading till just before dawn. I could have read a whole book with just these two and their adventures.
Finally we learn what the what is going on and who is who behind that mask. Finally, I am so excited, things are bad, very bad which makes for a very good edge of your seat read. The separated world is headed into a war that will out horror any previous wars seen, unless.... Oh I wanted to punch that face at the end- BAM !
Well Ms Mass, you tortured me yet again, bravo. ( )
  TheYodamom | Oct 3, 2017 |
I really appreciate how strong a writer Sarah J. Maas is becoming through this series. I enjoyed this novel - set during the same timeline as the previous installment and focused on Chaol and his development after an injury. A good read for fans of this series, I'm glad I've stuck with it and eagerly await the next book. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 1, 2017 |
Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas (SJM) is a book in the Throne of Glass (TOG) series. The story runs parallel to the end of Empire of Storms after Chaol and Nesryn sail for the Southern Continent. The mission to gather military support against the Valg and the possibility for recovery from a spinal cord injury.

Chaol is a polarizing figure in the TOG universe for many people and this book is a much more contemplative story then is usual for TOG so the pace is slower as it deal with heavy issues such as PTSD, domestic abuse, and physical trauma and resulting disability. As such if you have triggers proceed with caution. Because Chaol is so controversial you maybe inclined to skip this book but don't it has a lot of information that will impact the 7th book and it has so many new and exciting characters that we will see again.

With that being said, SJM has written a beautiful story. So much of Chaol is shaped by his childhood, his coping mechanisms and when faced with his disability the anger and grief that he has pushed down is finally addressed. This is where Chaol becomes interesting to me, the insight into his relationships especially with Dorian and Aelin really stand out and you understand his actions from the previous books. SJM does an amazing job of protraying the confusion, grief and pain that comes with a disabling injury especially in the context of a solider. It's not pretty but it's accurate and so relvent to our times.

Yrene Towers is a new character we meet in Tower of Dawn, a healer who helps Chaol deal with the physical and mental healing of his injury while dealing with her own issues. She is well written but I didn't love her like many of the other characters we have met in this series and I am not sure why.

I would be remiss in not talking about Nesryn, I loved her story...I loved her story so much that I need a follow up book. Nesryn is a strong, independent woman who found herself I think in one of those relationships that you know is temporary but necessary. The idea that people come into your life at specific times and for specific reasons is played through out the books but especially with Nesryn's story. Sartaq and his Rukhin family and the world building that you glimpse was the so intriguing that I hope SJM comes back to it and gives us another amazing series.

All in all, I so enjoyed Tower of Dawn and anxiously await book 7.
1 vote Soraya71 | Sep 21, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible