Tower of dawn by Sarah J. Maas

Tower of dawn (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:bell7
Title:Tower of dawn
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:New York : Bloomsbury, 2017.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:teen, fantasy, magic

Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas (2017)

English (25)  German (1)  All languages (26)
This book was just...insane. Absolutely insane.

Tower of Dawn was like the change that happened between Throne of Glass and Queen of Shadows. When you're reading QoS and you have that sudden realization that the world has just come so darn far since the beginning. The original three has split, Aelin is doing what ever the heck she wants and...THE FEELS. It was the same thing with with this book - between this book and the last, I feel like we are in a completely different world, but in a wildly amazing way.

I had a friend say that this book left her more satisfied than any other book in the series, and I almost completely agree with that. There was just so much good in this book that I don't even know where to start with my thoughts.

I guess to start, all of the new characters. Just when I thought Sarah couldn't top Empire, she did. We have a COMPLETELY new set of character, and I practically loved all of them. The sibling rivalry and the politics and the intrigue....

I really appreciated how Chaol's journey of healing wasn't just physical, but emotional. My heart broke for him, but I feel like this book was so important for his character. I personally was not one to hate on Chaol before this novel - of course he wasn't the best of people in QoS - but I loved him even more in this book.

Yrene was beautiful, and I'm so glad I read The Assassin's Blade before this book because her character was just... I can't even tell you. Even her personal growth throughout this book and how much she changed and EVERYTHING ABOUT HER I LOVE. She's completely badass in her own way, but at the same time so freaking compassionate.

Also let's take a moment just to think about how amazing Sartaq was with that sass and those braid flips? Freaking amazing; Sartaq had to be one of my favorite characters in this book and he really is better for the person he ends up with than the person she was with before.... (no spoilers here!)

Literally the entire tone of this book was different. There was something about Tower of Dawn that just read different, and felt different to me. The setting, the writing, I don't know what Sarah did differently, but it was freaking amazing. I am super, super thrilled to read TOG7 this year and just can't wait.

I only had a few complaints, (naturally) but they were so few and petty that I'm not going to go into much detail of them :D

Also, can we talk about then ending.... CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE ENDING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I think this is my favorite book of the series so far... no doubt because there was almost no Aelin. 😂

I loved Chaol at the beginning of the series, but then he got too angsty after Aelin messed with everyone. It was refreshing to have a whole book involving his story and him sorting out his issues. Loved his story arc with Yrene, and the Nesryn/Sartaq storyline added action and drama. Very few eyerolls, and I loved the ending. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Jun 5, 2018 |
I will admit that I had put off reading Tower of Dawn for seven months because honestly the story was about Chaol Westfall. After book two in the Throne of Glass series he has basically been dead to me and not because of how things when with Aelin. His character was very black and white and he couldn’t get beyond what he “thought” was “best” to embrace what he wanted and it led to moments of great cowardice in my opinion.

Tower of Dawn did not resurrect any of the book two’s feelings for me either. In fact, I could have done without the first four hundred pages or so of Chaol because really not that much happened with his character except for physical therapy for Chaol and political drama. Now do not get me wrong, I absolutely appreciated the disability representation and it was brilliantly done. I truly liked the approach to Chaol’s healing and that it seemed very realistic even with the fantasy element. I just didn’t like his character and it made the story just drag for me, like tortuously drag.

It was just very hard for me to stay engaged with this story at that point because Chaol was still messed up emotionally and mentally. Although, I did love Nesryn and Yrene’s characters immensely. They were my bright spots of sunshine while reading. I had felt bad for how things went for Nesryn but I really think it worked out way better than she could have ever imagined and that her ending was a much better fit for her. I loved Yrene and she deserved every little bit of happiness that she received despite her choice in men.

Thank God that Tower of Dawn picked up for me after about the four-hundred-page mark and wow did the momentum keep going. There were battles, great reveals, and some ah-ha moments as well. I loved the story after that point and would recommend that it be read prior to book seven in the Throne of Glass series. Now as far as Chaol’s character goes, I still don’t care much for him but I think he is in a good place and I was glad for how things ended for him. I am also very, very excited to see how things play out in book seven, Kingdom of Ash! ( )
  TheGenreMinx | May 14, 2018 |
This book focused on Chaol and Nesryns journey to Antica and the famed healers of Torres to find help with Chaol's paralized body and to convince the ruler to aid them in the war about to start with the Valg. Their paths take two different routes as they meet others that will change their destiny. ( )
  Verkruissen | May 10, 2018 |
4.75

Is that a flicker of hope I feel?

I'm not crying, you're crying.

This book was wonderfully pieced together. I hope those that stated they wouldn't read it because it was from Chaol's POV reconsider their decision. I loved Chaol at the beginning, he was probably my favorite character. Then I became indifferent to him after Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire. Now I can say that he is one of my favorite characters again. His growth is unparalleled, save for Aelin herself.

This book progresses the story beautifully, with fantastic elements of healing (physical and mental) and learning to forgive yourself for decisions you may regret.

Bravo, SJM! ( )
  libraryinthecountry | May 6, 2018 |

"Chaol Westfall has always defined himself by his unwavering loyalty, his strength, and his position as the Captain of the Guard. But all of that has changed since the glass castle shattered, since his men were slaughtered, since the King of Adarlan spared him from a killing blow, but left his body broken. His only shot at recovery lies with the legendary healers of the Torre Cesme in Antica--the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,824,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible