Popeye: I Yam What I Yam by E.C. Segar

Popeye: I Yam What I Yam (edition 2006)

by E.C. Segar

Series: Popeye (1)

Title:Popeye: I Yam What I Yam
Authors:E.C. Segar
Info:Fantagraphics (2006), Edition: 1st Fantagraphics Books Ed, Hardcover, 200 pages
Collections:Your library, To re-read
Tags:sarjakuva, strippi

Popeye, Vol. 1: "I Yam What I Yam!" by E. C. Segar

Read (240)

Pat and I went to a big show of comic art a few years ago that included original stuff by E.C. Segar. I liked them so much that I asked him to get me this collection, and over the years he got me all six volumes. In 1919 the strip, Thimble Theatre, featured Ham Gravy and Olive Oyl, then Olive's brother Castor was added and most of the 1920s stories were about his get rich quick schemes. When he needed to take his luck-bestowing African Whiffle Hen to an island casino in order to win millions, he hired Popeye to sail the boat, and the latter was such a colorful character that he took over the strip.
I finally started reading and it's hilarious. The humor is surreal and dry, absurd and charming. I'm loving it, and haven't forgotten that Popeye on TV cartoons was one of my first childhood crushes. ( )
  piemouth | Oct 26, 2015 |

E. C. Segarprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segar, E. C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
'Ja think I'm a cowboy?
Well, blow me down

A compilation of classic comic strips from the creator of the original Popeye cartoons follows the picaresque adventures of Popeye and his cohorts - Olive Oyl, Wimpy, Eugene the Jeep, the Sea Hag, and Alice the Goon - covering strips first published from 1928 to 1930.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible