The Saboteur: A Novel by Andrew Gross

The Saboteur: A Novel

by Andrew Gross

Based on the stirring true story, The Saboteur is Andrew Gross's follow-up to the riveting historical thriller, The One Man. A richly-woven story probing the limits of heroism, sacrifice and determination, The Saboteur portrays a hero who must weigh duty against his heart in order to single-handedly end the one threat that could alter the course of World War II. Kurt Nordstrom escapes to England to transmit secret evidence of the Nazis's progress towards an atomic bomb at an isolated factory in Norway. There, he joins a team of dedicated Norwegians in training in the Scottish Highlands for a mission to disrupt the Nazis' plans before they advance any further.

This book is a must read. The characters are very well-drawn and interesting. The plot pace is non-stop and makes it hard to put down this book. It is historically accurate and a quick and easy read. I also learned a lot about Norway and some of the winter conditions in the rugged mountainous terrain and the beauty of the country. I look forward to reading another one of Andrew Gross' books and I would highly recommend this book to those who like to read books about WWII. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 22, 2018 |
I was looking forward to this book because I loved the author's prior World War II thriller, "The One Man", but unfortunately my expectations were too high. In large part, this is a suspenseful thriller (I assume very loosely) based on a true story about the resistance movement in Norway. Some Norwegians were recruited by the British to sabotage the production of heavy water to be used by the Nazis in the development of an atomic bomb. However this book didn't have the "heart" of the earlier book and I was unmoved by it. There were some exciting parts and also parts that dragged a lot. The protagonist was a former engineering student named Nordstrum. In order to carry out his mission he had to evade both the Nazis and an exceedingly persistent personal enemy. What finally caused me to lower my rating by one star was the unconvincing instalove at the end that led to Nordstum's risking his mission in a really stupid way. The narration of the audio book by Edoardo Ballerini was excellent. ( )
  fhudnell | Oct 26, 2017 |
Oslo engineer Kurt Nordstrom joins the Norwegian resistance during World War II and ultimately becomes the one man to change course of the war.

Based on an intriguing true story, this fictionalized narrative offers readers insight into the struggles of ordinary people seeking a way to fight the wartime invaders in their country and bases many of the characters on their real-life counterparts.

With its foundation in historical fact, this inspiring tale offers readers a taunt, tightly-woven narrative filled with compelling, well-developed characters placed in unimaginably difficult situations. Drawing readers in from the first page, this riveting tale of friendship, courage, and survival is truly unputdownable.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 30, 2017 |
Based on true events, Gross spins the tale of espionage and sabotage among Norway’s resistance fighters who want to take their country back from German occupation.
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Sep 6, 2017 |
When an author can entice one to read a book outside their usual genre likes, not only read but enjoy and appreciate the story, then I think he has definitely found his writing niche. I have read very little of what I call historical/spy thrillers, but loved his last one, so knew I had to read this one. So many books written about different facets of World War Ii, but the material out there is endless. This was another set in a place I have read little of previously. Norway and the Nazi occupation there, but more importantly set in the mountains at what they thought was an impregnable fortress. A fortress that was producing heavy water in large quantities, what the Germans needed to make a bomb and what the rest of the world feared. So a daring plan was set in place, with Norwegian expert skiers, Norwegians and one Yank, who would attempt the impossible.

Ordinary men who risked all. Loved the relationship, the closeness between these men, men who looked out for each other despite risk. The perilous terrain, the snow storms, the inhospitable conditions, treacherous. Their mission, so suspenseful, was often holding my breath, hoping they would make it through. Even after that more was expected from a few of them. These men, heroes, but wanted men, living in the shadows of the Nazi regime. Some their very own countrymen, Quislings they were called, considered traitors by most Norwegians.

Based on a true story, names were changed but some of the men were actual people who actually put their lives on hold, to fight in their own way against an invasion of their country and a regime that spawned terror. Of course as fiction, the story was enhanced, elements added, but it all fit together and I felt added additional suspense to the narrative. The open to interpretation ending I also appreciated though I know some readers prefer a solid, thought out one. An authors note is included and the real story can be found on Wiki and other sources. Very well done, tightly plotted, suspenseful and an amazing story about ordinary people who risked everything for something in which they believed.

ARC from Netgalley. ( )
  Beamis12 | Sep 4, 2017 |
The old creaking ferry steamed across the sun-dappled mountain lake.

A "story probing the limits of heroism, sacrifice, and determination, The Saboteur portrays a hero who must weigh duty against his heart in order to single-handedly end the one threat that could alter the course of World War II"--Amazon.com.

Andrew Gross is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,068,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible