Here and Gone: A Novel by Haylen Beck

Here and Gone: A Novel

by Haylen Beck

Audra is fleeing an abusive husband in New York. Driving outside a small town in Arizona with her two children, Sean and Louise, she is pulled over by a local sheriff, Whiteside, for a manufactured offense. Another officer is called and Audra is separated from her children, Audra to be taken to the station to be booked and Sean and Louise removed to somewhere “safe.” What happens next is horrifying. When Audra inquires about her children, she’s told there were no children in the car. Marijuana was found in the trunk and she’s being charged with possession. At her insistence about Sean and Louise, Sheriff Whiteside proves to be dangerous and corrupt and his partner, Collins, equally so. Her situation garners nationwide press attention, unfortunately negative, as it’s suggested Audra harmed her children and is the cause of their disappearance. In California a man named Danny Lee is thrown by what he sees on television and haunted by his own losses. He leaves for Arizona immediately.

Haylen Beck gets it just right with this book. It’s the stuff of nightmares – kidnapped children, unlawful incarceration, abuse, corrupt officials, and the Dark Web. Yet Here and Gone is more about a mother’s loss and love and less about dark forces. I enjoyed every minute spent reading this exciting book. ( )
  bayleaf | May 22, 2017 |
VERY GOOD BOOK ( )
  djts5420 | May 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Audra Kinney is fleeing across the country from New York to California with her two children when she is stopped by the sheriff of a small destitute town in Arizona. Before she knows it she is arrested from possession and her two kids are taken away by his deputy. When taken to a cell, she asks the sheriff about her children and he answers with “What children?” Thus begins the terrifying story of kidnapped children. But is her rich abusive husband behind it or is the police department really that corrupt? Or maybe she is just nuts and murdered her own children. The author has developed a tense thriller which makes one think. She flashed back to the marriage and the reason for Audra leaving. We watch as everything is played out and becomes emotional for this reader. I really felt for some of the characters. This should be every reader’s summer reading list! ( )
  grumpydan | Apr 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I am in or maybe just the minority on this one. I could not for the life of me get into this book, I knew exactly what was happening and in my mind started rewriting how it could be an amazing twisted tale of the mothers' mind. I am glad that others found it an interesting book, I wish the author huge success with this book, I just couldn't enjoy it. I have found a few wildly popular reads unappealing so maybe this just didn't grab me. I did find the writing enjoyable but not quite the perfect fit. We all have things we love and things that fit just us perfectly, this just wasn't mine. ( )
  jjnaaucoin | Apr 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Library thing for the opportunity to read and review this great book. I requested this book in hopes that it would be as suspenseful as it sounded and I can say that without a doubt this was one of the most intense and suspenseful books I have read this year. A real page turner. I highly recommend! ( )
  MelissaBorsey | Apr 19, 2017 |

Here and Gone is a gripping, wonderfully tense suspense thriller about a mother's desperate fight to recover her stolen children from corrupt authorities.. It begins with a woman fleeing through Arizona with her kids in tow, trying to escape an abusive marriage. When she's pulled over by an unsettling local sheriff, things soon go awry and she is taken into custody. Only when she gets to the station, her kids are gone. And then the cops start saying they never saw any kids with her, that if they're gone than she must have done something with them... Meanwhile, halfway across the country a man hears the frenzied news reports about the missing kids, which are eerily similar to events in his own past. As the clock ticks down on the search for the lost children, he too is drawn into the desperate fight for their return.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Feb 2017 19:01:49 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Haylen Beck's book Here and Gone is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible