Here and Gone: A Novel by Haylen Beck

Here and Gone: A Novel

by Haylen Beck

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Library thing for the opportunity to read and review this great book. I requested this book in hopes that it would be as suspenseful as it sounded and I can say that without a doubt this was one of the most intense and suspenseful books I have read this year. A real page turner. I highly recommend! ( )
  MelissaBorsey | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Audra Kinney is on the run with her children, fleeing her abusive husband. Sticking to back roads and keeping a low profile, all she wants is to reach the west coast with her children. But when a small-town sheriff pulls her over, conducts an illegal search of her car, and [surprise] finds drugs. Audra is arrested; her children, Sean and Louise, are taken “to a safe place” by a deputy he’s called to the scene.

And when Audra, now locked in a jail cell, asks about her children, the sheriff replies, “What children?”

Readers will find the sense of foreboding heightens the suspense and keeps the story moving. Although readers can easily predict the outcome, the tension and plot twists will keep the pages turning.

Recommended.

I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Readers program. ( )
  jfe16 | Apr 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
O.M.G. This book was AMAZING, an absolutely mesmerizing thriller that grabbed me from the beginning with its palpable sense of dread and never let go. With a diabolically original premise and even more diabolical execution of the crime, there is almost nothing negative for me to say about this book.

Audra and her two children are driving cross-country from New York to California to escape an abusive husband/father. They take a short break at a convenience store in a tiny town in Arizona. After they leave the store, they are pulled over by a cop. What happens from that point is horrifying. Audra's children disappear. What happened to them? Audra has her side of the story, but all fingers point to her as having perpetrated some sort of crime against her own children.

This book is not a mystery. The reader knows what happened to Audra's children. The suspense lies in the investigation, the evidence - or lack thereof, the his-word-against-hers arguments and whose argument is going to prevail. It was absolutely nail-biting to know what Audra doesn't know, and to watch her struggle as she fights to find out what happened to her children.

The only thing I would say that was not entirely satisfying about this book was the very end, which resolves a subplot involving a man who, five years prior, went through what Audra is going through. I would have preferred that that subplot continue a little further to have a more satisfying resolution.

Nonetheless, I loved this book and give it a solid 5 stars. ( )
  niaomiya | Apr 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I generally don't like books where someone is accused of a crime they did not commit, and especially don't like books where children are abused. Though this book had elements of both, it was a good quick read even though the ending was obvious. ( )
  leaseylease | Apr 13, 2017 |
This thriller keeps you on the edge of your seat and I could not put it down.
Audra is running across the country from an abusive husband with 11-year old Sean and 6-year old Louise. From the east coast she is almost to California when she is stopped by Sheriff Whiteside in small town Arizona on the pretense that her load is too heavy. She is flustered being stopped and thinks her husband has tracked her down.
Things go from bad to worse to horribly unthinkable! She's put in jail, her children are nowhere to be found, she has no money or friends to turn to.
But this mother has chutzpah and a new found friend in stranger, Danny Lee, who learns of her predicament on the national news.
This is an emotional roller coaster about missing children, face paced with believable characters that you get caught up in from beginning to end. A very well written book and I highly recommend!
I won this from Bookstr - thank you! ( )
  Dannadee | Apr 13, 2017 |

Here and Gone is a gripping, wonderfully tense suspense thriller about a mother's desperate fight to recover her stolen children from corrupt authorities.. It begins with a woman fleeing through Arizona with her kids in tow, trying to escape an abusive marriage. When she's pulled over by an unsettling local sheriff, things soon go awry and she is taken into custody. Only when she gets to the station, her kids are gone. And then the cops start saying they never saw any kids with her, that if they're gone than she must have done something with them... Meanwhile, halfway across the country a man hears the frenzied news reports about the missing kids, which are eerily similar to events in his own past. As the clock ticks down on the search for the lost children, he too is drawn into the desperate fight for their return.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Feb 2017 19:01:49 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Here and Gone by Haylen Beck was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible