The Intrusions (Carrigan & Miller) by Stav…

The Intrusions (Carrigan & Miller) (2017)

by Stav Sherez

It took me a while to appreciate this book. Initially it all seemed both rather prosaic and following the well worn path of nasty/gruesome abduction/murder which made me wonder why it had had such positive reviews.

Then I reached some more interesting bits . . . such as when Geneva visits the hostel where ‘people drifted in and out, an impossible number, all quietly alike in their youth and fashion, regional differences erased by a childhood of the same TV shows, the same films and music and computer games’. I thought this was well put. And then the next page yet more universal truths: ‘A sweet stinging taste rose in Geneva’s throat and she was flung back to her own days of chaos and disorder, inter-railing through the stacked, still cities of the Continent as a teenager, the quick spraygun rush of museums and monuments and train stations. Back then she’d felt as if she’d sailed across far and terrifying oceans, the world of her childhood kept safely at bay by the English Channel. There were no mobile phones to call your parents or update your friends, no tablets or laptops to bring up whatever information you needed. It had all been new and unexplored and experienced first-hand and she felt a little sorry for these kids growing up in the strange hurtling world so stripped of surprise’. That certainly resonated with me – apart from the museums which I gave a miss.

Later, though, after some more thought-provoking bits, it focused very much on the crime part and although this was reasonably well handled, I found it made the book more shallow. ( )
  evening | Aug 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had not read the first two Carrigan and Miller books, nor have I read any of Stav Sherez's books. This book was well written, and pretty creepy. As someone who spends a lot of time on a computer, it makes me much more cautious, as it's all plausible. ( )
  mike1990 | Apr 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Intrusions is the third volume in the Carrigan and Miller series from Stav Sherez. I have not read the preceding volumes and found that this could easily be read as a standalone. That said I do plan to read the previous books when I can.

The procedural aspect of the novel is very good, keeping the reader wanting to read the next chapter. There was one event that surprised me, but I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers. It did provide one of the twists to the story and the surprise consisted mainly in being different from what a frequent reader of procedurals and thrillers would normally anticipate. I like such surprises.

The personal stories of Carrigan and Miller are peppered throughout but do not hamper the flow of the story. If they annoy a reader it says more about that reader than the novel, namely that all the reader wants is a bare bones procedural without character development or well-roundedness. If you want or need simple, this may not be for you. If you like relatable characters, this will suit you quite well.

While the basic crime and motivation is not particularly uncommon (but in honesty that is true of all such novels since human motivation for such crimes are limited) the manner in which the crimes are committed are definitely a product of the recent past. Technology, for all of its positives, offers criminals as well as governments a wide range of weapons to use against unsuspecting people. This novel exploits just such a use of technology.

I would recommend this to readers of thrillers, police procedurals, and character-driven series. I can't say whether this is the best introduction to this series, I would assume the first volume would be the best, but this is certainly able to serve as a standalone or an introduction.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  pomo58 | Mar 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Better than average police procedural. Enough twists to keep it interesting, and the setting felt authentic. Couple of small issues. This is the 3rd in a series, and while some series can be started in the middle successfully, I don't think this is one. I did feel like I was missing a fair bit of character development that happened in the first two books. Because of that, some of the characters (including the major ones) felt a little one-dimensional. But overall, a good read. ( )
  owlie13 | Mar 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was such a great story , it sucked me in within the first three pages. I am now on the hunt to read all of this author's books. It is a mystery/thriller with all the usual twists and turns, but each detective on the case has their own little story going on as well. The scary part of this story was the reality of how disgusting and invasive the dark web can be, as well as the simplicity of getting another person's information and hacking into their lives. This was the third in a series, but it gave just enough information on personal lives to not get lost, however, I am intrigued by the previous cases mentioned and cannot wait to dive into the other two. ( )
  beachbaby1124 | Mar 16, 2018 |
For Lesley Thorne, who pulled this one out of the fire more times than I can count.
It happens when she leans in to talk to her best friend.

Described as 'addictive' (Financial Times), 'brimming with suspense' (Daily Express), 'masterful' (Daily Mirror) and 'strikingly modern' (Sunday Times) Stav Sherez's two previous Carrigan and Miller novels were both shortlisted for the Theakstons's Crime Novel of the Year, in 2013 and 2014. When a distressed young woman arrives at their station claiming her friend has been abducted, and that the man threatened to come back and 'claim her next', Detectives Carrigan and Miller are thrust into a terrifying new world of stalking and obsession. Taking them from a Bayswater hostel, where backpackers and foreign students share dorms and failing dreams, to the emerging threat of online intimidation, hacking, and control, The Intrusions explores disturbing contemporary themes with all the skill and dark psychology that Stav Sherez's work has been so acclaimed for. Under scrutiny themselves, and with old foes and enmities re-surfacing, how long will Carrigan and Miller have to find out the truth behind what these two women have been subjected to?.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Stav Sherez's book The Intrusions is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible