The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein

The Puppet Masters (original 1951; edition 2009)

by Robert Heinlein

Title:The Puppet Masters
Authors:Robert Heinlein
Info:Baen (2009), Paperback, 320 pages

The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein (1951)

English (26)  French (1)  All languages (27)
Interesting characters, great pacing and edge-of-the-seat drama...would have made this a classic novel but for Heinlein's rabid libertarian sabre-rattling. There's not even that much but it damages the book pretty badly. I'm not even anti-libertarian myself, but crazy is still crazy.

I guess the reason I always preferred Asimov to Heinlein is...Asimov was sane. ( )
  EnsignRamsey | Jun 8, 2015 |
What a great tale on so many levels! This novel works as a straight science-fiction alien invasion story, but there are also the philosophical questions to consider. How much freedom is a person willing to surrender for peace of mind? How do you know what is true when you cannot see events yourself? When does a war end?

I picked this book to re-read (I read it first decades ago) after another novel mentioned it in passing. I am glad I did as the more experienced me saw the multi-layered novel with fresh eyes. Heinlein fans have no doubt already read the novel, but I think it is worth reading again. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 15, 2015 |
This is the one with the aliens who almost succeed in taking over the Earth by sticking themselves onto people and ruling them. But that is only the surface of the tale. It is really about the young prince who matures and performs heroic deeds in service of humanity, and so gets the girl, who is smarter than he is anyway. It is a fairy tale of virtue rewarded. ( )
  jzdro | Feb 5, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
Science fiction at its best - mind-controlling slugs from outer space! I love reading the originals! ( )
  krista.rutherford | Aug 10, 2014 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoyt, Sarah A.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patterson, William H., Jr.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Lurton Blassingame
Were they truly intelligent?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345330145, Mass Market Paperback)

Earth was being invaded by aliens and the top security agencies were helpless: the aliens were controlling the mind of every person they encountered. So it was up to Sam Cavanaugh, secret agent for a powerful and deadly spy network, to find a way to stop them--which meant he had to be invaded himself!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:52 -0400)

When alien slugs with mind control abilities begin infecting people, Sam and Mary, federal agents whose work is only known to the President, try to stop the invasion and kill the aliens without harming their hosts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,760,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible