Maigret's rival by Georges Simenon

Maigret's rival (original 1941; edition 1980)

by Georges Simenon (Author)

Series: Maigret (25)

On an errand of mercy, Maigret travels to a provincial village whose crafty inhabitants nearly foil the sleuth. Translated by Helen Thomson. A Helen and Kurt Wolff Book.
Member:kevinpars
Title:Maigret's rival
Authors:Georges Simenon (Author)
Info:Harcourt Brace Jovanovich (1980), 176 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Maigret's Rival by Georges Simenon (1941)

English (8)  German (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (11)
The quintessential Maigret. Setting, pace, characters, dialogue, phone conversations (which is one of my very favorite things in any Maigret), people falling due to passions and money, the whole shebang. Missing only one of his usual bagman sidekicks, but he picks a new one up along the way. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Mar 28, 2018 |
I had not read a Maigret novel since my teens - not because I decided not to but because I had not seen any of them. So when I saw this in the library, I decided it is time to get back to the good old inspector.

It is one of the unusual books - it is not set in Paris - instead Maigret is asked for a favor and goes to a small village where the a man had died a few weeks before. It had been ruled as an incident but now rumors are everywhere that it was actually a murder. It would have been an easy enough investigation except that in the train Maigret sees and old colleague, now a PI, that had been kicked off by the police and who had always been a rival of Maigret.

Things do not go exactly as expected, it seems like noone cares about the truth and if his adversary was not there, Maigret probably would have left. But with him there, he pushes to find the truth and we see the life in a small village in France in the 40s - split between the rich and the poor and with more secrets than you would expect in a small village like that one (but then most of the classic mystery novels are like that).

Penguin seems to be publishing the full series in new translations so I think I am going to catch up with the ones they already did and then follow them. Even though they are publishing them in some weird order. ( )
  AnnieMod | Jun 17, 2016 |
When an old adversary undermines an investigation, Maigret is determined to find the truth. Available at BBC Radio 7. ( )

Georges Simenonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ascari, FabrizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bruna, DickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobson, WillTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Maigret (25)

Belongs to Publisher Series

In the French original, L'inspecteur Cadavre (1944).

Variously published in English as:
(i) Maigret's Rival (1979) (tr. Helen Thomson) and:
(ii) Inspector Cadaver (2015) (tr. William Hobson).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,800,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible