A Christmas Visitor by Anne Perry

A Christmas Visitor (edition 2005)

by Anne Perry

Collections:MCL, READ, Read but unowned, GroupReads
Rating:***
Tags:OD, COZY MYSTERY, ^2012, 3*, MCC Lilies

A Christmas Visitor by Anne Perry

One of Anne Perry's yearly Christmas outings for a minor character from one of her Victorian mysteries. More of a novella than a novel, so it's good for reading during the busy Christmas season. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Another of Anne Perry's Christmas novellas centers around Henry Rathbone's efforts to clear the name of his friend Judah Dreghorn, who has died suddenly in what appears to be an accident but is discovered to be murder.

This was an interesting rendition of a post mortem revelation of a character who has done wrong but without knowledge of the injustice until the very end. ( )
  cyderry | Dec 29, 2012 |
The joy of a much-anticipated Christmas reunion turns to sorrow after the head of the family's sudden death. His grieving widow calls on her godfather, Henry Rathbone, for his support. Unexplained circumstances lead several family members to suspect murder, and they're all sure they know who is responsible. When Rathbone hears of the circumstances, he shares their suspicion of murder, but questions their conclusion. Rathbone must sort out a complex question of inheritance in order to discover the truth about his friend's death.

Henry Rathbone is a minor character in Anne Perry's William Monk series. Henry's methodical investigation into the legal issues surrounding the death show that his aptitude for legal matters is equal to that of his barrister son, Oliver. I like Perry's William Monk series better than her Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series, and I liked this Christmas novella better than her first one, which featured a character from the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series. I'll definitely include more of Perry's Christmas novellas on next year's holiday reading list. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 31, 2011 |
I usually love Anne Perry. I didn't even like this book. It's the worst of hers I've ever read, and I'm glad it wasn't the first or I would never have opened another of her covers. ( )
  mjperry | Dec 26, 2009 |
A Christmas murder mystery. It wasn't too bad, but I found the characters' assumptions very flawed, and the story just didn't ring very true for me. ( )
  tloeffler | Dec 14, 2009 |

Renowned for her acclaimed Victorian novels as well as a stunning new series set in World War I, Anne Perry consistently dazzles us with stories rife with emotion, intrigue, and psychological depth. She recently expanded her talents with the delightfully rendered novella, A Christmas Journey, which USA Today called “one of the best books to brighten the joyous season.” Now she has given readers another gift–a yuletide offering full of holiday magic . . . and murder.

The Dreghorn family is gathering for an anticipated reunion in the Lake District of England. The blissful tranquility of the snowbound estate, however, is soon shattered by what appears to be an accidental death. The victim’s distraught wife, Antonia, summons her godfather, distinguished mathematician and inventor Henry Rathbone–one of the most beloved characters from Perry’s bestselling William Monk series. But questions about the tragic event turn into whispers of murder, sending shock waves among members of the Dreghorn clan, who haven’t seen each other in ten years.

Now Rathbone must put his analytical and creative capacities to the test as he assumes the role of an amateur investigator. But while searching for clues and mulling over potential motives, he cannot help but wonder: Will another poor soul meet the same untimely end–and be silenced like the night?

In this Christmas novella, featuring a colorful, somewhat eccentric cast of characters and an irresistible plot as twisty as a ribbon, Rathbone rescues the holiday with a grace that would impress William Monk himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:23 -0400)

When murder ruins Christmas holidays in the Lake District, Henry Rathbone drops in from Perry's William Monk series to do some amateur sleuthing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible