Mangrove Lightning by Randy Wayne White

Mangrove Lightning

by Randy Wayne White

A complex story that involves rape, torture, and murder. This is the first Doc Ford book I've read and I'll be seeking out others. ( )
  lewilliams | Apr 30, 2019 |
Doc Ford and his colleague Tomlinson are investigating an old case of the disappearance of a deputy sheriff and his family the day before the sheriff is to testify in an important smuggling case. This leads them to the Florida Everglades and a very mysterious family of kidnappers and murders who have never been found guilty of much as their victims and witnesses disappear.

I am not very impressed with Doc Ford as a detective as he seems to be working for too many agencies and ignores some of the people he is to protect without seemingly too upset by his mistakes. This leads to the death of at least one woman and the beating of the woman he loves.

The chapters often end with a crisis that is not resolved in the text. Some time later you gather the incident was resolved but it was not in the text. A frustrating read. The inclusion of creatures with powers from beyond also turns me off.

There are so many other well written detective novels with reasonable plots about real people that I won't be picking up another of White's novels. Did not learn much about Florida in this novel either. ( )
  lamour | Apr 15, 2018 |
This is my first introduction to this series. At first I struggled with this book. In fact, after just a few chapters I thought about giving up on this book. Yet, I told myself to give it at least a few more chapters. I am glad that I did. There was potential in what I read but it was subtle. I think that had I had that established relationship with Doc Ford, I would have been more engaged in the story. Yet, he does seem to be an interesting character. Maybe in the future I might go back and start from the beginning.

Ok, so back to the book. There were like two storylines happening in this book. However, the one that somewhat got my attention was the one involving Mr. Bird. The mystery surrounding the hundred year old murder was docile. Now, if this book had been just about a madman terrorizing the islands of Florida than I would have been more engaged in the story. Because in those scenes the intensity was higher. I may not have loved this book but I did not hate it either. ( )
  Cherylk | Feb 19, 2017 |
This is the 24th in the prolific Doc Ford series written by White. I've read a few of his other books; if this had been the first one, I probably would have never read another. Perhaps fans of his will enjoy the story, but I found it to be a bit of a jumble. There is a subplot second story that never really seems to go anywhere, just adding to the muddle. While I did enjoy some of the history of the southwest Florida area, this was not a pleasant story and a bit too misogynist and fragmented for me. ( )
  vkmarco | Feb 6, 2017 |

The ghosts of a 1925 multiple murder stalk Doc Ford, in the electrifying new novel in the New York Times–bestselling series.

Ford doesn’t believe in curses, but as he and his friend Tomlinson begin to investigate, following the trail of the attacks from Key Largo to Tallahassee, they, too, suffer a series of near-fatal mishaps. Is it really a curse? Or just a crime spree? The answer lies in solving a near-hundred-year-old murder . . . and probing the mind of a madman.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Feb 2017 02:43:03 -0500)

"The ghosts of a 1925 multiple murder stalk Doc Ford in the electrifying new novel in the New York Times-bestselling series. Doc Ford has been involved in many strange cases. This may be one of the strangest. A legendary charter captain and guide named Tootsie Barlow has come to him, muttering about a curse. The members of his extended family have suffered a bizarre series of attacks, and Barlow is convinced it has something to do with a multiple murder in 1925, in which his family had a shameful part. Ford doesn't believe in curses, but as he and his friend Tomlinson begin to investigate, following the trail of the attacks from Key Largo to Tallahassee, they, too, suffer a series of near-fatal mishaps. Is it really a curse? Or just a crime spree? The answer lies in solving a near-hundred-year-old murder...and probing the mind of a madman"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,755,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible